Home

How do you Feel about Sliders?

This is a discussion on How do you Feel about Sliders? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: How do you Feel about Sliders?
Love them! Wouldn't buy a game without them! 67 58.77%
I like them but don't tweak too much. 37 32.46%
Hate them! I rarely touch the things. 10 8.77%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-06-2009, 12:22 PM   #17
MVP

thelasthurtknee's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: How do you Feel about Sliders?

way back in the day before ncaa had sliders the number one thing we were all asking for was sliders. ea couldnt tune a game for gameplay if there life depended on it. that hasnt changed hasn't changed. first thing is getting the oline and dline pushes right which ea always has the oline 3 yards down field on every play on default. normally the first thing to do is lower your run block down. after that its about a week of trying to make it look like a football game.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:38 PM   #18
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

I won't buy a game without them anymore. On every level but the highest one, developers always tune the game to be too favorable to the user/offensive side of the ball. On the highest level, developers can't seem to just make the A.I. better in terms of strategy and execution, so they just crank up the physical skills to super human levels. This forces the user to "game the game" or use exploits to balance things out.

Things like penalties, fatigue, kick power, and kick accuracy are never realistic out of the box. If you don't care about trying to get results that are reasonably similar to what happen in reality, then I can understand not messing with the sliders, but if it does matter to you, I don't see how you aren't making lots of changes every year, in every sports game.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:40 PM   #19
MVP

Roggie's Arena

OVR: 17

I have never used sliders before, don't really plan on it. I just play the game out of box and enjoy it.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:48 PM   #20
MVP

booker21's Arena

OVR: 16

i hate them, because once you start tweaking, you can`t play the game anymore, you just "test" if your tweaks are working or not.

Hate hate hate them... they are very addictive though.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:02 PM   #21
Banned

OVR: 25

I WILL NOT buy a sports game that doesnt have them (FIFA being the ONLY exception, but that would also benefit). 99% of the time they do "fix" most sports games.

But EA has a solid tendency to make sliders do very little compared to what they should do. Games SHOULD play "right" out of the box, but more often than not, they do not work properly. In order to get a great simulation of the respective sport, adjustments need to be made. Some people just choose not to touch them, but they do allow customization and can really change a game for the better.

But they have to WORK.....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2009, 02:06 PM   #22
Madden PC

BadAssHskr's Arena

OVR: 9

i like the sliders, and think they are a must for the most part.
i don't use them to try to make the game more realistic stat wise persay, but if i'm getting beat constantly in 1 area, i adjust the slider for that benefit. that being said, if i'm constanty beating the cpu in 2 area i adjust that.

i like the sliders, but if i mess with em to much i find that i'm just playing to see how sliders are working, and that takes the fun away from the game for me.

twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/cornbeaner

XSX: thirtydaZe
Online, Solo, CFM.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:12 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
I won't buy a game without them anymore. On every level but the highest one, developers always tune the game to be too favorable to the user/offensive side of the ball. On the highest level, developers can't seem to just make the A.I. better in terms of strategy and execution, so they just crank up the physical skills to super human levels. This forces the user to "game the game" or use exploits to balance things out.
e.
I agree here 100%. It would be so nice if they just made the AI better strategy-wise instead of making them physically amazing, which makes us revert to "gaming the game" as you put it.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:29 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 39

Sliders (when they actually WORK) are huge to sports video games like football.. The default settings for me never produce accurate results & always need tweaking. I find the defaults to either be way too hard (where the CPU is basically cheating - Robo QB) or way too easy when set to AA. Its great to have the ability to mess with it until there is a balance of success & failure within the game...never perfect, but you get pretty close.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »