Home

So what did NCAA do right?

This is a discussion on So what did NCAA do right? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-08-2009, 03:06 PM   #65
MVP

thescoop's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: So what did NCAA do right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORN4CORN
That baby is 4 years old and the bath water is cold.. The minor tweaks & questionable additions have made this game stale. What is the direction of this franchise?? And how can there seriously be a person in charge who says "no" to things like form. subs or refs... basic football things. A maximum overhaul is needed for NCAA 11, ala Madden 10.
You left out all the stadiums. A joke they aren't still there. Who ever says no to them shouldn't be making sports games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-08-2009, 03:07 PM   #66
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

In terms of what I'm looking for there are a lot of solid new additions, but, and I appologize for the hyperbole, a couple of things are just soulcrushing.

The design decision to tune the default pass rush to be ridiculously easy on the offense, even on AA, and the continued uncertainty about the sliders. They're going to be patched, but we have no idea what this team considers to be "effective" sliders so we're still in limbo.

Many have already bailed out, and I can totally understand their thought process, me I'm still on the fence until after the patch comes out. Two years in row with no NCAA Football will be a tough pill to swallow, but it may play out that way.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:13 PM   #67
MVP

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescoop
You left out all the stadiums. A joke they aren't still there. Who ever says no to them shouldn't be making sports games.
Isn't the NCAA B-Ball game missing a lot of the arenas also? College games always seem to get the shaft from EA. They always seem to be a year or two behind the pro game in terms of innovation and features.

New York Giants- 1927, 1934, 1938, 1956, 1986, 1990, 2007.

PSN ID- matt8204
Old 07-08-2009, 03:22 PM   #68
Rookie

OVR: 2

Hi Russ,

I believe the question was "What did NCAA do right?" While it's definitely true that your team added a whole bunch, the fact is (from experience), I can safely bet that a majority of it either:
a. will not work
b. break something else
c. have an averse affect on the game

The fact is, as a franchise, NCAA has actually gotten worse. It has dropped the ball countless of times and can now not even get rosters right.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:34 PM   #69
Rookie

nighttrain32's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_Kiniry_EA
Some of the stuff in this thread is valid; others I don't agree with... however I'm going to jack an old post of mine just to point out the "nothing new" posts are a tad inaccurate. (I left out Road to Glory since that isn't really an OS Favorite )

Let's see... we have all these strategy elements: http://insideblog.easports.com/archi...-strategy.aspx

Dynasty got Competitive Recruiting and all of this stuff: http://insideblog.easports.com/archi...y-details.aspx

All of that this stuff is just off the top of my head (well I cheated a little and used some old blogs/posts I could remember), I may have forgot things we already talked about.

*From Game-play round-up:

Pass Blocking
  • Branch Windows
  • Steering and Manipulation
Adaptive AI
  • CPU will adapt to your play calling
Catch Steering
  • Catches near the sideline will try and turn you up field
WR/Defensive Back Interactions
  • Route Running and Man Coverage
  • WR/DB Jostling
  • Press / Release
Layered Blending
  • Throwing when being hit
Inaccurate Passing
  • Passes miss in a more logical direction (not random)
Procedural Awareness
  • Head Tracking
Pursuit Angles
  • Sideline Pursuit
Then there is stuff that has not been blogged about, only talked about on some forum posts...

CPU Passing improved
  • They will throw down field more often
Defensive Line will get up and tip passes
  • And I mean tipped, not just knocked down
Break out of tackles
  • From Madden 09 you can try and break out of tackles after they start
Intercepting Pitches
  • You can actually catch a pitch if you get in-between the QB and the pitch man (instead of it just bouncing off you and hitting the ground)
Non-Catch Catches
  • Players will go for a catch even when they will not catch the ball
Slips on Routes
  • In bad weather players have a chance to slip when running routes
Tons of new animations (examples below):
  • Tackles
  • Over the Shoulder Catches
  • Motion Hand-offs
  • Shotgun Hand-offs

i can see where all of these features fit but why didn't you guys just decide to bring all of the last gen features to the next gen game? dynasty is pretty bland and the overall gameplay is broken due to sliders. i remeber playing ncaa 06 on my ps2 and being up in the 4th quarer and then the other team ha a huge momentum swing and rallied for 21 4th quarter points for the win. why isn't everything (like being ineligible, losing scholarships, dynamic stuff like that) that was on the ps2/xbox versions been implemented yet?
Old 07-08-2009, 03:37 PM   #70
Rookie

OVR: 1

The fact that the dev team completely ignored sliders this year pretty much shows which direction they are taking this franchise. Straight down to hell. Paying for pipeline states is just mind-boggling to me (and when did pipeline states EVER matter in this game?).

It's a becoming a game of lame gimmick after lame gimmick. This year it's team builder... and why should EA have to get rosters correct when they can just rely on their customers editing the rosters for them? Pretty sweet deal as a dev if you ask me. I wouldn't be surprised if next year we were paying for unlocking sliders.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:42 PM   #71
stewaat

OVR:

Improved pursuit angles
QB's now throw errant passes
CPU AI is smarter when running the football...won't go out of bounds
New animations
TeamBuilder is in, which is a huge addition
Playerlock is in, giving you a cool new camera
Team specific bowl endzones...small thing but nice to have
99% of the jerseys are correct
New recruiting addition to the system
Online dynasty has been cleaned up
CPU AI on Heisman doesn't cheat anymore (HUGE to me)

This is a start...

Great job OP on creating a thread asking what NCAA did right only to point out all the mistakes.

This has got to be against the TOS.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-08-2009, 03:59 PM   #72
MVP

thescoop's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewaat
This has got to be against the TOS.
But its not. Most on here aren't being disrespectful and there valid complaints here. The thread has been very civil. It is not against TOS to point out these things.

I do agree with some of your what they've done right, but there are still too many of little things that should be fixed that haven't been to this point. That is what people are talking about there.

I am still getting it as I stated, but that doesn't mean I wish they'd go ahead and fix the little things that should have been fixed in 07 and still aren't being addressed.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »