Home

More on sam keller and the lawsuit

This is a discussion on More on sam keller and the lawsuit within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-10-2009, 04:07 PM   #25
MVP

Roggie's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: More on sam keller and the lawsuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeceptiveBlaze
ok can anybody tell me why a player shouldn't have a choice of a scholarship or a sponsorship. Like i said just sounds like a bunch of haters on here waaaa i want my college payed forr waaaaa if you want it payed for just do this

1. work out

2. get talent.

ok since we established you can't do that then get over it.
Let's see. Talent is natural born. You can develop some, but everyone has a different ceiling. My baseball ceiling was just low enough that I couldn't get a scholarship for college. It just happens my sport that I AM talented enough to go D1 in has VERY few school that offer male scholarships, as male bowling is often not NCAA sanctioned, unlike women's bowling. I do not believe I should be paid to play a sport in college. You're called an amateur for a reason.

Just look at it this way: The school makes a good amount of money off of players. But, they give the kids a scholarship that easily totals 40-50k a year, if not more. Do you know how insanely rare it is for a college kid to make that at a job? it's basically impossible to do that and go to school full time.

So, do you still think they should get paid?

I'm not saying my opinion is the 100% right one. I'm just trying to get some of you to see the other side and think about it before just flaming us who believe this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2009, 04:07 PM   #26
MVP

choadler's Arena

OVR: 14

Wow, some of you guys need to get out of college and live in the real world. I am apart of client engagements that net my company millions of dollars a year, yet I receive a fraction of that. Cry, Cry, Cry...

I am not sympathetic to any of these players. They get a free ride to a university, some of them the premier educational institutions in the world. Alot of these athletes would have no shot at getting into these institutions without athletics. Whether they choose to take advantage of an education is up to them, but don't ask me to feel like they are being exploited.

And don't dare compare academic scholarships as being even remotely the same as an athletic scholarship. My wife received grants and academic scholorships and still had to pay fees, work a job for money, and go to school without the benefit of extra tutoring and priority registrations for classes and god knows what else that boosters give to these people. So Tim Tebow has it alot better playing football than he does going to school on an academic scholarship or whatever someone brought up as an argument. I don't think most people understand how much an education costs, most likely because mom and dad paid for it. My wife and I each paid our own way through school and it cost us six figures to go to state universities in california (which by the way are very inexpensive compared to other state schools).

You guys need a little perspective. Growing up will help.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:18 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 5

it is funny most of the people who say these kids get free rides have never actually had a scholarship or had to work their azz off to maintain that scholarship...

The Scholarships are NOT FREE, they EARN these...

A lot haterz in here

You say we need perspective, but maybe you need it as well coming from our point wouldn't you agree?
Old 07-10-2009, 04:20 PM   #28
MVP

jsquigg's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeceptiveBlaze
The more i read thru this forum the more i see communist views. All i ever hear on her is a bunch of people telling other people they should think this or that, they should feel this way or that way. Did freedom go out the window on these forums. I'm not trying to name drop but my cousin Nick plays D-1 football and i play because he is on there. I believe he should have some compensation because i just admitted i spent 60 dollars to play the game for his likeness. Nike, adidas, under armour, corporate sponsors, NCAA, EA, 2K all make money off of these guys and they never see a scent but thats ok right. I believe a player should have the option to get a scholarship and receive no compensation, or pay for school and recieve endorsements. The problem with that is that it would cut out the middle man (NCAA) and supposedly de value the college game but if you instituted a base salary in college sports it would eliminate this problem all together but they definitely deserve compensation and anyone who thinks otherwise is a *****
It's posts like this that make me realize that the majority of people don't even know what communism is. Your following points are somewhat valid, but communism has nothing to do with it. I hate making political posts on a sports website, but freedom is not equal to capitalism! As far as the lawsuit issue, I think it will be settled on middle ground. Both sides have valid arguments and there have been excellent posts from all sides of the argument. In the end, I see EA having to randomize player info, but I think the ability to edit will remain.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:21 PM   #29
Rookie

twthomas's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAssHskr
Sam?
Uhh... you may have something there.

SAUK

Sam Arizona University Keller?

Would certainly make sense. Stop this thread right now!! Wait, we aren't making a profit
off of using his name are we?

Oh and almost forgot...

LACES OUT!!!!!

Last edited by twthomas; 07-10-2009 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:23 PM   #30
MVP

choadler's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauk
it is funny most of the people who say these kids get free rides have never actually had a scholarship or had to work their azz off to maintain that scholarship...

The Scholarships are NOT FREE, they EARN these...

A lot haterz in here

You say we need perspective, but maybe you need it as well coming from our point wouldn't you agree?
Nope not at all. I am sure these guys work there *** off. I worked my *** off as well. I worked a full time job from 6:00 am until 3:30 and then went to school at night from 7:00 until 10:00 pm and paid for everything myself. They didn't work any harder than me.

LAWL haterzzz.....

Wow
Old 07-10-2009, 04:25 PM   #31
Rookie

Yeah but did you put your body on the line every day like they did? In football there is a chance of a career or life alternating event every single time they snap it up...So no your experience is not even close to them unless you worked as a policeman, fireman, etc..

Just to give you an idea of my schedule when I was in school and playing...

Mat drills in the spring from 5am till 7am

School from 8am to around 12pm, lifting from 1pm or so till 3pm, then film work or studying.

In season it was school from 8am till around 12pm, meetings at 1pm till 2:30, 3pm, practice for 2 hours or so, watching film till 8pm at night.

Summer was really the only time we had a break, and even then it was either working out in the morning or afternoon (they split us up) school and then throwing at night time in the stadium where the coaches were not allowed (wink wink)

You guys act like these guys just sit in gold tubs all day long sipping champagne! lol It is hard work year 'round these days.

Last edited by Sauk; 07-10-2009 at 04:29 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2009, 04:32 PM   #32
MVP

choadler's Arena

Then don't play!!! No one is forcing these guys to play. They are getting an opportunity to play a game and get an education. And you never addressed the question of how many of these guys would never be in a university if it wasn't for football... You think half of Texas or Alabamas players would? Texas only takes the top 10% of students from high school...so no they wouldn't.

People know the deal when they take these scholarships. The reward for succeeding is great (millions of dollars playing professional sports). The downside (if you can call it a downside) is you don't make it, but you have an education (if you decide to take advantage of that).

Last edited by choadler; 07-10-2009 at 04:36 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »