Home

Effectiveness of Flexbone

This is a discussion on Effectiveness of Flexbone within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-12-2009, 12:30 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Effectiveness of Flexbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndhusker90
he didn't say it wasn't a complicated offense or it wasn't successful. but its a fact its a gimmick offense and yes so is the spread. it might be successful like any other offense sometimes, but it is less successful than most.
No. Stop saying ridiculous things. Running the hook and ladder 50 times would be a gimmick offense, the spread is based on getting leverage on the defenders for blocking purposes, and can help spread out receivers, while the flexbone is based on crushing double team blocks; when the offense executes the triple option succesfully, the defense can't win (Litterally can't stop it). Where do you get your sucess statement from? Both appear to be quite succesfull at what they do.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:32 AM   #18
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinWreck21
Go ask the Jacksonville State, Boston College, Duke, Gardner Webb, Clemson, Miss State, FSU, Miami or UGA if it's a gimmick Offense. Uga's Defensive Backs coach was quoted saying its a "high school offense". That bit him in the butt. IF it's a gimmick offense, so is the spread offense. It's just as complicated to run an Option attack as any other Offense. If the Qb makes the right reads, its successful just like any other offense.
Funny thing about UGA's DB coach, the idiot used a high school defense to defend it, they tried assigning players to the QB and pitch man. It didnt take Johnson long to see that and have a receiver crack the safety, while the pitchman took it for 50 yards.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:39 AM   #19
Rookie

RamblinWreck21's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by el bandolero
Funny thing about UGA's DB coach, the idiot used a high school defense to defend it, they tried assigning players to the QB and pitch man. It didnt take Johnson long to see that and have a receiver crack the safety, while the pitchman took it for 50 yards.
Yah, I had a field day about that coaches comments.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:18 AM   #20
Rookie

tigerfan2's Arena

OVR: 6

What exactly, isn't a gimmick offense. Isn't everything based on gaining an advantage my tricking, or "misdirection"?
Old 07-12-2009, 10:44 AM   #21
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan2
What exactly, isn't a gimmick offense. Isn't everything based on gaining an advantage my tricking, or "misdirection"?
There is no such thing as a gimmick offense; every offense ever created is based on you blocking them, there's no way to get around that. If you block them, you win, if you don't, you lose. What happens behind that is largely irrelevant. Veer offenses just make it easier to block because there are double teams clearing the running path, because they left a guy unblocked. I don't know why they do a bunch of orbital motions ("misdirection") and garbage like that, they know that the line backers are keying the gaurds and so on, no defender is back there with the objective of "guessing" the play.

(Keying is who the defender watches to react off of, orbital motion is when a wing back motions back around the FB to where ever he ends)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2009, 11:15 AM   #22
Rookie

IGetBiddies's Arena

OVR: 5

i played against my bro yesterday while he was using the flexbone, and it was very effective at first. He kept running the option. The triple option keeps you honest if you play as a LB or S, which I do. Everytime he handed off to the FB, he'd get 2-3 yards a clip. I just went to a 4-3 and used the edge blitz, where both OLB's blitz straight up the field and cause havok if your trying to run an option in that direction. Overall it was very effective, and I'm sure a seasoned vet could run it very successfully as long as they kept the opponent off balance with the FB, Option Pass, Option..etc.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:02 PM   #23
Rookie

in real life the flexbone is anything but a gimmick offense. it is a system based on using formations to generate numbers or certain looks by defenses and then reading UNBLOCKED defenders. i am a triple option die hard but refuse to use it in this game because it's a joke how poorly implemented it is. real triple option fans could probably write a 10 page essay on how poorly this offense is reflected in the game.

in NCAA football the flexbone is a pure gimmick offense. there is no one to read. your OL just blocks the guys in front of them and you just randomly decide whose turn it is to carry the ball. the only pitches end up being leverage pitches because the AI pursues every play with inside out leverage. the "midline qb iso." are you freakin kidding me? show me the unblocked 3 technique and i'll call it midline.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:25 PM   #24
Rookie

xgoredhawksx's Arena

OVR: 3

I'm currently 4-2 online w/ Georgia Tech. I've beaten Notre Dame, Oklahoma, USF, and Bama and lost to LSU and USC. The offense was effective against all of them but the better D-lines were able to get good penetration about half the time and just blow up the play before it even started. I would recommend everyone play a few games with it as it is a very fun offense.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »