Home

pass/run ratio settings

This is a discussion on pass/run ratio settings within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-24-2009, 05:33 AM   #25
Rookie

coachchris's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: pass/run ratio settings

I have updated the list below to reflect the changes for NCAA10. I used the run/pass ratio's adjusted for sacks for each teams complete season stats. I have also reflected all of the coaching changes for the upcoming season which I explained in a previous post.

From what I can tell EA did a good job making the slider directly correlate to the % of passes a team will throw during the season. So if you set the slider at 40 then the team should be expected to throw 40% passes and 60% runs. After simming multiple seasons with multiple sliders these sliders have been pretty accurate.

One thing to note is the extremes such as sliders under 30 or over 70 do not seem to be as accurate but there are not many teams with run/pass ratios that high.

Also, the lowest you can go is 15 which still didnt give me the results I was looking for option teams that run the ball 80-90% of the time (i.e. Air Force, Navy, G-Tech) With that said each of these teams are put to 15 which usually results in a 75/25 run/pass ratio which isnt bad.

NOTE: To change a rating from an off number(47, 48, 53) to an on number(45,50,55) take the slider all the way down to 15 then back up by 5's to whatever number is required. Hope that makes sense.

If you are getting different results please post.

TEAMRUN/PASS SLIDEROFF TYPE
Air Force15Option Run
Akron50
Spread Offense
Alabama40Balanced
Arizona47Spread Offense
Arizona State55Spread Offense
Arkansas60Balanced
Arkansas State43Option Run
Army15Option Run
Auburn40Spread Offense
Ball State45
Spread Offense
Baylor42Spread Offense
Boise State52
West Coast
Boston College50
West Coast
Bowling Green55Balanced
Buffalo55Balanced
BYU55Spread Offense
California52West Coast
Central Michigan55Spread Offense
Cincinnati55Spread Offense
Clemson53
Spread Offense
Colorado50
Balanced
Colorado State50
Balanced
Connecticut40
Balanced
Duke50
Balanced
East Carolina50Spread Offense
Eastern Michigan55Balanced
Florida40
Option Run
Florida Atlantic52
West Coast
Florida International50
Spread Offense
Florida State47Balanced
Fresno State45Balanced
Georgia50
Balanced
Georgia Tech15Option Run
Hawai'i65
Spread Offense
Houston65Spread Offense
Idaho50
Spread Offense
Illinois50Spread Offense
Indiana50
Spread Offense
Iowa40
Balanced
Iowa State55
Spread Offense
Kansas57
Spread Offense
Kansas State50Spread Offense
Kent State40Spread Offense
Kentucky52
Balanced
Louisiana Tech43Spread Offense
Louisiana-Lafayette39Option Run
Louisiana-Monroe48Option Run
Louisville50
Balanced
LSU50
Balanced
Marshall50
Spread Offense
Maryland52
West Coast
Memphis46Spread Offense
Miami (Florida)50
Balanced
Miami (Ohio)55Balanced
Michigan45
Option Run
Michigan State47Balanced
Middle Tennessee50Spread Offense
Minnesota52Balanced
Mississippi42Balanced
Mississippi State40Spread Offense
Missouri60
Spread Offense
Navy15Option Run
Nebraska50
West Coast
Nevada44
Spread Offense
New Mexico51Spread Offense
New Mexico State52
Spread Offense
North Carolina45
Balanced
North Carolina State50
West Coast
North Texas60
Spread Offense
Northern Illinois40Balanced
Northwestern50
Spread Offense
Notre Dame55Balanced
Ohio55Balanced
Ohio State35Balanced
Oklahoma50
Balanced
Oklahoma State40
Spread Offense
Oregon40
Spread Offense
Oregon State50
Balanced
Penn State45
Balanced
Pittsburgh46West Coast
Purdue60
Spread Offense
Rice55Spread Offense
Rutgers50
Balanced
San Diego State55West Coast
San Jose State54West Coast
SMU80Spread Offense
South Carolina60Balanced
South Florida46Spread Offense
Southern Mississippi50Spread Offense
Stanford40
West Coast
Syracuse50Spread Offense
TCU40Balanced
Temple50
Balanced
Tennessee50
West Coast
Texas52Spread Offense
Texas A&M60West Coast
Texas Tech75
Spread Offense
Toledo55
Spread Offense
Troy55Spread Offense
Tulane53West Coast
Tulsa42Spread Offense
UAB51Spread Offense
UCF45Balanced
UCLA58West Coast
UNLV50Spread Offense
USC50West Coast
Utah50Spread Offense
Utah State50Spread Offense
UTEP57Spread Offense
Vanderbilt45Spread Offense
Virginia59Spread Offense
Virginia Tech35Balanced
Wake Forest45Balanced
Washington50Spread Offense
Washington State50Spread Offense
Western Kentucky45Spread Offense
West Virginia40
Option Run
Western Michigan62Option Run
Wisconsin40Balanced
Wyoming60Spread Offense
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2009, 06:36 AM   #26
Banned

OVR: 25
Location: Far far away from the vultures and snakes that reside in the united states.

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the hard work, it is much appreciated (ya'll better than me, lol, I cant do it).

With that being stated, I have a question/comment. I'm on the fence about actually utilizing these numbers. Here's why.

As far as teams running or passing the ball more, yes it has to do with the coaches who run the team, BUT, its tailored to the players if I'm not mistaken correct?

See where I'm going with this? For example, dynasty year 1. You have Air Force pegged as a heavy run team, but what if after your dynasty year 1, the CPU A.I decides to recruit great wide receivers and end up with mediocre RBs.

Having them set to run the ball more would actually hurt the team since the RBs aint that good this go around, (the AI aint gonna change the run/pass ratio itself). You would have no way of knowing unless after every dynasty season you went in and checked EVERY player that the AI recruited to see what they're actually good at IN THE GAME, not stats based off of real life, ya know?

See what I'm saying? Now your playing your dynasty and you happen to look at Air Force record and they're complete garbage because they keep trying to run the ball with the garbage running backs that they have because YOU changed their run/pass ratio last season, and I know you're not keeping up with all 100 some teams to see what they're doing as far as recruiting.

Enlighten me, let me know something good. Thanks.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:53 PM   #27
Rookie

coachchris's Arena

OVR: 6

You make a very valid point about the run/pass ratio not changing with personnel. This is really why we need the coaching carousel like 2K had in their ncaa basketball game. If we had a carousel the team philosophies would change as new coaches are brought in.

I do not know the exact stats but from my experience coaches will not really change their style or play calling tendencies that drastically from year to year.

One example is Texas who had a run/pass ratio of 45/55 in 2007 and a 50/50 run pass ratio in 2008. That is a 5 point change which I assume is because of the development of Colt McCoy. This year Texas might even have a little higher pass ratio (i.e. 48/52) as this is McCoy's senior year but that is about as drastic of a change I think you will find year to year without a coaching change.

So the only solution without the coaching carousel would be to go through each team year to year and make minor changes. No way I am spending the time doing that.

or

Every couple of years look through the coaching ranks and find some coaches/teams that have had a few really bad years and randomly fire coaches by changing the teams philosophy and run/pass ratios to keep it fresh.

One thing to note also is certain teams (i.e. the military academies, Alabama) have not changed their core philosophies in years. Teams like Air Force know they are not going to get the most talented athletes so their core principles are based on effectively running the ball, usually via the triple option, milking the clock and keeping their defenses off of the field. Calhoun took over for the Air Force a few years back an there was some thought that the Falcons offense might undergo a drastic change but as you can see from their 84/16 run/pass ratio last year nothing much has changed.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:50 PM   #28
Banned

OVR: 25
Location: Far far away from the vultures and snakes that reside in the united states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachchris
You make a very valid point about the run/pass ratio not changing with personnel. This is really why we need the coaching carousel like 2K had in their ncaa basketball game. If we had a carousel the team philosophies would change as new coaches are brought in.

I do not know the exact stats but from my experience coaches will not really change their style or play calling tendencies that drastically from year to year.

One example is Texas who had a run/pass ratio of 45/55 in 2007 and a 50/50 run pass ratio in 2008. That is a 5 point change which I assume is because of the development of Colt McCoy. This year Texas might even have a little higher pass ratio (i.e. 48/52) as this is McCoy's senior year but that is about as drastic of a change I think you will find year to year without a coaching change.

So the only solution without the coaching carousel would be to go through each team year to year and make minor changes. No way I am spending the time doing that.

or

Every couple of years look through the coaching ranks and find some coaches/teams that have had a few really bad years and randomly fire coaches by changing the teams philosophy and run/pass ratios to keep it fresh.

One thing to note also is certain teams (i.e. the military academies, Alabama) have not changed their core philosophies in years. Teams like Air Force know they are not going to get the most talented athletes so their core principles are based on effectively running the ball, usually via the triple option, milking the clock and keeping their defenses off of the field. Calhoun took over for the Air Force a few years back an there was some thought that the Falcons offense might undergo a drastic change but as you can see from their 84/16 run/pass ratio last year nothing much has changed.
Yea. Once again, its much appreciated to everyone on OS who make rosters, ratios, ect for the community, but I'm gonna pass on these because I just dont have enough time to actually look at each teams strong and weak personnel to adjust this every season ya know.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »