Home

All these RATINGS and Im still NOT seeing the SUBTLE differences between players

This is a discussion on All these RATINGS and Im still NOT seeing the SUBTLE differences between players within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-21-2009, 12:54 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 5
All these RATINGS and Im still NOT seeing the SUBTLE differences between players

I hate to say this but this year just like every year with NCAA (and even Madden) I see all these different Player Rating attributes, yet when playing the game, Im just not seeing or feeling the subtle differences in the different players at each position.

I hate to always reference the 2K archives for comparisons but it is definitely necessary for this topic. One of the reasons I just loved the 2K Football series (and All Pro) was the way the game designers or/and engine made very subtle distinctions in the different players at each position. I remember how exciting it was to see these different attributes would play out at each position.

I just think that each player had alot more varying degrees of skill depth that, which in turn, gave the players more individuality, which ultimately resulted in a more organic and rewarding gameplay experience.

In the 2K games, WRs like Harrison, Holt, Moss, Smith were all different and you saw these distinctions...

I just feel that similar players of each position in NCAA /Madden arent distinct enough with there abilities... They are either, this or this, or this. Where as in 2K they were this, this, this, this, this but also this, and this, this, this, this, etc.

Am I freaking crazy or does anyone else understand what I am trying to say and notice it too?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2009, 12:58 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 25
Re: All these RATINGS and Im still NOT seeing the SUBTLE differences between players

The ratings are pretty much meaningless in EA games. They have all these attributes that really dont amount to anything. If anything they should just CUT half of them since they are worthless.A completely new take on ratings is desperatly needed.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:58 PM   #3
Madden PC

BadAssHskr's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: All these RATINGS and Im still NOT seeing the SUBTLE differences between players

i play as the Huskers. seems to be that when i run with castille as opposed to helu that i get more of a powerful punch through the middle.

helu is more of a speed guy. could be in my head, but to me they feel different hitting the hole.

twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/cornbeaner

XSX: thirtydaZe
Online, Solo, CFM.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:03 PM   #4
MVP

Hova57's Arena

OVR: 31

adam did say the second patch will be mostly gameplay issues maybe something with attributes sensitivity will be in it.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:04 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

I feel the difference. Graig Cooper feels like Lightning while Javarris James feels like thunder.

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2009, 01:04 PM   #6
Rookie

"But to me they feel different hitting the hole"
Old 07-21-2009, 01:07 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAssHskr
i play as the Huskers. seems to be that when i run with castille as opposed to helu that i get more of a powerful punch through the middle.

helu is more of a speed guy. could be in my head, but to me they feel different hitting the hole.
This is definitely true. I played Nebraska as MSU, and Helu broke a few runs in the first half. Otherwise we contained him pretty well, but he was pretty much the whole offense.

He gets hurt midway through the third quarter, and I think maybe we're in good shape since the only offense just went out. But then Castille comes in and proceeds to break off big run after big run, plowing through the line for one first down after another.

There was definitely a difference in style and effect.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:52 PM   #8
Banned

guys, thats my point exactly...just because you say they feel different because one is faster and one is stronger is such basic of player distinctions that EA achieves.

In the 2K games, you would rewarded with so much more subtle character defining attributes. Some runners were tighter route runners but dropped the ball more in the clutch. Others were sloppy but running their routes but were consistent, others seemed to always get open but lacked breakaway speed, others had etc.

I just dont feel all those little tangibles in NCAA. It just seems like a player is either a superstar or he sux. If he's a superstar, he's going to do everything good, just target him for everything. If he sux, just dont let him do anything. In 2k, I felt that I had to know my team better and utilize all of the players strengths and downplay their weaknesses to just stay competitive, no less, win!

Why am I not feeling that here?....I remember so many other meaningful ratings like leadership, morale, consistency, ...WOW, what excitement. I want that back in EA's game

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »