Home

5 wide

This is a discussion on 5 wide within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-21-2009, 03:04 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: 5 wide

That's basically what I've been using the most. It will definately stop it for a few plays here and there, but the offense inevitably gets down into the red zone. Unless the user can't read a defense and I get a pick, they pretty much get at least a FG every time.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:08 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 8

Since the pass rush is not good zone defense makes no sense in this game. You will get picked apart. Just play man. Take your time and don't give up. If your CB's are good in man coverage you should not have a problem.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:13 PM   #11
Rookie

dsciara21's Arena

OVR: 4

no cover two you'll get burned on any deep post and ive been eating opponents alive with pick 6's (user and cpu) with zone coverage
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2009, 03:42 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 2

There's just 1 small problem with this strategy. It sounds like you're using some type of top 10 team to pull this off. Since they have talent and almost every spot. Including 3rd and 4th CB's. Now if this is you playing me (Cincinnati) and you're Ole Miss or something, there's no WAY you're stopping my 5 wide set. Maybe on a couple miscues by me but that's it. I'm just saying this cause I think it's something you may have left out.

When I faced Texas Tech it was a Nightmare for me. I was Cincinnati. And I think the score was like 42 to 39 or something crazy cause all we did was pass and get beat on D.

Also, what's going to happen when you put your top 2 receivers in the slot positions. Putting the weaker corners on them? I wish NCAA had the receiver lock feature like Madden will. That would be a nice addition. But, overall, unless you're some top ten team with a Great rush, or just have a nice DLine I'd say covering the 5 wide isn't the way to go. Keeping the offense OFF the field is the best way to cover a 5 wide set. Or any set for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumEffort
Don't play zone against 5 wide. Play straight man defense using the dime defense with the two safeties covering over the top in zone. Your MLB must be quick. He will play the slowest WR in the slot. Make sure you set your d-line to rush outside so you can get pressure and the QB can't scramble. Make sure you bump the WR’s off the line. Then you control one of your safeties to watch for slants over the middle. The QB will force it and you will pick it every time or get a sack because he can't find a man open
Old 07-21-2009, 03:46 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumEffort
Don't play zone against 5 wide. Play straight man defense using the dime defense with the two safeties covering over the top in zone. Your MLB must be quick. He will play the slowest WR in the slot. Make sure you set your d-line to rush outside so you can get pressure and the QB can't scramble. Make sure you bump the WR’s off the line. Then you control one of your safeties to watch for slants over the middle. The QB will force it and you will pick it every time or get a sack because he can't find a man open
Haha, ......easy?

A good player will recognize man defense right away and rip it up. I play with bama. If you go man on me julio jones is wide open for posts as soon as he gets the inside. One mlb can't cover all crossing routes.

The correct answer to stopping 5 wide is to mix zone coverages along with some blitzes. Switch up your defenses and looks. This, however, is not the answer. Yeah, mix in some man, but I consider myself a pretty decent player, and I can tell you that i'll recognize man right away and check down to the player who's running the most man friendly route.

Use defensive keys to shift coverage, or focus on one receiver. Shift your safeties in if you're getting beat on posts, yatta yatta....

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »