Home

Is Rolling Out/Scrambling supposed to be cheese?

This is a discussion on Is Rolling Out/Scrambling supposed to be cheese? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Is Rolling Out/Scrambling Cheese?
Yes, reguardless of team/playbook SIM says you stay in the pocket at all times. 42 25.00%
No, if you're complaining about this spend more time on defense in practice mode. 126 75.00%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-21-2009, 07:42 PM   #33
MVP

CKW11's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Is Rolling Out/Scrambling supposed to be cheese?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettouch
its cheese if its not design and/or they run right out the pocket after the snap.

Its not cheese if they sit in the pocket see that no one is open then scramble out or the play is design for a rollout
This pretty much sums up my feelings on the subject.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:43 PM   #34
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMatt1782
cheese or not, if the guy is controlling a DE or LB and manually getting pressure and getting around the oline then i am running away from that side immediately. I need more than a second to a second and a half to sit in the pocket and let routes develop. If im not being manually pressured then i dont roll out unless its a blitz. but in my opinion its only cheese if you do the sprint backward 20 yards and to the sideline then wait for the WRs to break route and come back over the middle for easy completions.

Funny thing is that he uses the defensive end...Uses sprint to go around the tackle and that is how he got sacks on me.

I started to step up in the pocket and run up the middle with the qb. to avoid the speed rush on the outside.

I dont use defensive lineman. I use corners and linebackers at times.

if i blitz is only from the d-lineman rushing upfield or collapsing..

but i dont control them and is done based on the play. I dont move players out of position..
Old 07-21-2009, 07:45 PM   #35
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettouch
its cheese if its not design and/or they run right out the pocket after the snap.

Its not cheese if they sit in the pocket see that no one is open then scramble out or the play is design for a rollout
Bingo

his play was a straight shotgun snap which was all of his plays...from shotgun

and he then runs towards the sidelines on an angle....

Complete and utter cheese and the fact that he wrote that he does it to avoid sacks..Says it all
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2009, 07:46 PM   #36
MVP

jsquigg's Arena

I'm sick of many on this site crying "cheese." No game is perfect, but scrambling or rolling out of the pocket happens in every single college football game (for the most part). As long as someone isn't dropping 20 yards and chucking it down field, I don't see a problem. If the aforementioned strategy actually works, there is a problem with the game. Football is supposed to be creative and competitive, and I remember when coaches in real life used to think that the forward pass was "cheese." The bottom line is: learn how to adjust and get better. With a FEW exceptions, those who have house rules to limit someone's play call style aren't creative enough to adjust enough to win games. That's my opinion, but I remember when it was a foregone conclusion in the days that video games were much more flawed that we just played past it and got better. We didn't cry cheese.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:51 PM   #37
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsquigg
I'm sick of many on this site crying "cheese." No game is perfect, but scrambling or rolling out of the pocket happens in every single college football game (for the most part). As long as someone isn't dropping 20 yards and chucking it down field, I don't see a problem. If the aforementioned strategy actually works, there is a problem with the game. Football is supposed to be creative and competitive, and I remember when coaches in real life used to think that the forward pass was "cheese." The bottom line is: learn how to adjust and get better. With a FEW exceptions, those who have house rules to limit someone's play call style aren't creative enough to adjust enough to win games. That's my opinion, but I remember when it was a foregone conclusion in the days that video games were much more flawed that we just played past it and got better. We didn't cry cheese.

Excuse me but when you do something manually to manipulate the a.i in the game that is cheese..

Good luck playing like that in one of OS's or sim forums leagues..

Rolling out on every passing play when the play is not designed to do so is not something that should be allowed in leagues.

I watch plenty of college ball and plenty of Teabow and he sits in the pocket a lot and throws.

He does not take the snap and roll to the right side but on an angle towards the back to get seperation from the defense and waits for crossing patterns or sends his hb to the outside that he is throwing to and rolls out that way.

that is not something that can be counter. Not when you have a quick qb. and is not something that should be looked upon as creative.

Is lame and shows that the user cannot run a play the way it is formatted so they alter every single play to abuse the a.i defenders which i cannot control.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:14 PM   #38
Pro

OVR: 5

If you are talking about a true “sim” experience, then rolling out even though the play is not designed as a roll out, otherwise known as “scrambling”, is not cheese. In real life, QBs do scramble to get better passing lanes and to allow receivers to break off their routes if no one is open. Likewise, there have been QBs over the years who feel more comfortable throwing on the run, rather than sitting in the pocket.

However, since this game does not accurately portray the high risk involved with scrambling, thus allowing a player to use it as “cheese”, I would say it would be acceptable for a player using a scrambling QB to scramble or run as much as he wants. But to do the same with a pocket passer would be considered “cheese” to me.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:30 PM   #39
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football4Natic
Excuse me but when you do something manually to manipulate the a.i in the game that is cheese..

Good luck playing like that in one of OS's or sim forums leagues..

Rolling out on every passing play when the play is not designed to do so is not something that should be allowed in leagues.

I watch plenty of college ball and plenty of Teabow and he sits in the pocket a lot and throws.

He does not take the snap and roll to the right side but on an angle towards the back to get seperation from the defense and waits for crossing patterns or sends his hb to the outside that he is throwing to and rolls out that way.

that is not something that can be counter. Not when you have a quick qb. and is not something that should be looked upon as creative.

Is lame and shows that the user cannot run a play the way it is formatted so they alter every single play to abuse the a.i defenders which i cannot control.
You are correct. This is not sim football. It is cheese. I remmber it used to be called "sprint and chuck"
Old 07-21-2009, 08:36 PM   #40
Rookie

bdt52's Arena

OVR: 3

Rolling out and running with the quarterback excessivly is cheese. Now every once in a while in the real college (or pro) game a quarterback does make a play with his feet to either buy more time or break off a run, but when it is taken advantage of on every play on NCAA it is about as cheesey as it gets. For example, my very good friend will run shotgun and look for a chance to run around the end on ANY third or fourth and under 5 to go with the QB. I find ways to stop it but then it opens up the flats for an easy dump to the RB. There are blurred and grey areas (Gators QB heavy running playbook, option offense, a quarterback doing it for real on occasion to make a play) however for the most part this is cheese in my book with how the AI pass coverage and pass rush works in the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »