Home

How to stop the Triple Option

This is a discussion on How to stop the Triple Option within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-22-2009, 03:05 PM   #33
Rookie

dlamb919's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: How to stop the Triple Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySouth12
This guy is correct...once I see that you are spying me and have less guys in coverage, I am going to air it out. Its a chess match, you must have adequate football IQ in containing the triple option versus somebody who knows what they are doing.
the beauty of football
Old 07-22-2009, 03:14 PM   #34
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweeknist
Yea, DirtySouth12 runs it all day long because he says NO ONE can stop it. I kept getting pissed off at him telling him it was "cheez", but he kept disagreeing with me. Someone needs to bust his A$$ for me!
I played user vs AI last night. Army vs Navy. and I do think the option plays are givin a boost for success. I've always been kinda bad with the option but I was having some good success with it last night and didnt really know what I was doing. I still lost but didnt look that bad.

also- I understand why they put it in that you can still pitch when being tackled- if the arm is free there should still be an ability to get rid of ball. But I do think the window of oportunity to get rid of ball should close a half second sooner than it does.

guys will wait til the last possible second with everyone on him to pitch the ball. - This game is still much, much better than its been the past 3 years though
Old 07-22-2009, 03:22 PM   #35
Rookie

Darkeus's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram29jackson

guys will wait til the last possible second with everyone on him to pitch the ball. - This game is still much, much better than its been the past 3 years though
Not against me buddy. You keep holding that ball till the last minute, I take that for a pick six!

On a serious note, most flexbone teams have QB's that are not very good throwing or have wide recivers that are more geared to be possession WR. The key against the triple option is to always cover the middle and have your OLB's covering their outside gaps. I really like the 3-3-5 against the flexbone just for the extra safety. I would play the 5-2 or the 4-6 depending or personnel.

It is not a easy formation to stop but it can be put in it's place.

The Scarlet and Grey, best team in the land!

Last edited by Darkeus; 07-22-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2009, 03:28 PM   #36
Rookie

prd689's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkeus
Not against me buddy. You keep holding that ball till the last minute, I take that for a pick six!

Amen... Just played a guy who was Oregon and I was Nebraska... Played aggressive defense through the first half... Contain mostly because he was playing with the Triple option... He conceded at half when i was up 35-14... Most of those points were turnovers from him... 2 Fumbles 2 INT pitches... Seems that if you play contain and have a LB as spy, use your DT and draw outside to the pitch man and its very effective since the comp AI doesnt seem to account for the guy when the QB holds the ball to the last second...
Old 07-22-2009, 03:36 PM   #37
MVP

OVR: 34

IVe always been of the opinion that, if you haev the team speed, triple option football with play action off of it, is the single hardest offense to stop at the highschool and college level.

IF you are having trouble with your play calling and pre snap adjustments, I would suggest playing as a LB or S and do what others have suggested: play assignment football. Set your keys to focus on the pitchman or QB, and you manually defend the other..
Old 07-22-2009, 06:20 PM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 3

Thanks for the help guys. Which playbooks do you guys use on offense and defense?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »