Home

Playcalling Patch Please

This is a discussion on Playcalling Patch Please within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-23-2009, 12:18 AM   #1
Rookie

ManOfLaMange's Arena

OVR: 7
Playcalling Patch Please

Besides being awesome alliteration, I just watched an FSU team down 26-17 with 2:06 left in the 4th go for it on 4th and goal from the 2 after being stuffed three times.

Any any ANY college coach takes the three there, because you have to score twice.

I would like to believe that EA can put together an AI that just goes from the "sheet", that infamous sheet which tells coaches when to always go for 2, when to go for it on 4th, etc. rather than something like that which definitely cost FSU the game.

Don't get me wrong, I like to win, but not on something cheap like terrible playcalling.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2009, 08:11 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 20
Re: Playcalling Patch Please

Seconded. I've seen a couple instances like that.

Though I've never seen it personally, one guy even posted that the CPU didn't elect to kick a FG when it would have given them the win. Game went to OT instead or something.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:46 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOfLaMange
Besides being awesome alliteration, I just watched an FSU team down 26-17 with 2:06 left in the 4th go for it on 4th and goal from the 2 after being stuffed three times.

Any any ANY college coach takes the three there, because you have to score twice.

I would like to believe that EA can put together an AI that just goes from the "sheet", that infamous sheet which tells coaches when to always go for 2, when to go for it on 4th, etc. rather than something like that which definitely cost FSU the game.

Don't get me wrong, I like to win, but not on something cheap like terrible playcalling.

I consider myself to know a lot about football, and being down by two scores with 2 mins. on the clock and you are inside the 10 yard line you hve to go for the TD so when you get the ball back with a bit of time all you need to do is get in FG range to win, thats what I would do..
Old 07-23-2009, 09:08 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 17

Quote:

you are wrong, a LOT of coaches would NOT pass up being that close to a score. statistically, you have to score there to have any shot at winning the game. if you can't punch it in from the 2 what makes you think you can go the length of the field again?
Old 07-23-2009, 09:35 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:

where in the football rulebook does it say you have to go for 3? there were several games this past year where the team was in side the 5 and went for it. sometimes the logic is 'we're this close now, may not make it back'. sometimes it's simply arrogance, 'if we can punch it in from the 2 we don't deserve to win.

needless to say, this is not patch worthy.....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2009, 09:50 AM   #6
Banned

Strummer101er's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob2342

needless to say, this is not patch worthy.....
Agreed.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:11 AM   #7
Rookie

ManOfLaMange's Arena

Look, this is just one example of the bizarre playcalling (obviously to me, not to all) in this game, there are plenty of other questionable decisions.

And for those who say that most coaches would try to run the same play four times in a row at the goal line down by 9 with under two minutes left...honestly, that isn't good coaching. Most coaches really would take the three points and be down 26-20 with two minutes left to go and three timeouts to use.

And I don't see how a team will go for the TD there because they don't think they can drive down the field, because they JUST HAD to drive down the field to get into that position. I don't buy that argument at all.

This is indeed patch-worthy.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:15 AM   #8
Rookie

prd689's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
This is indeed patch-worthy.
Overruled.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »