Home

Blocking AI

This is a discussion on Blocking AI within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-29-2009, 06:51 PM   #25
Pro

TrevJo's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Blocking AI

I wonder if they have ever sat down with an offensive line coach for a few weeks, explained to him how blocking assignments work in the game, and then have him explain to them how blocking assignments work in real life.

ETA: I guess it's a moot point when blocking techniques and physics are hosed.

Last edited by TrevJo; 07-29-2009 at 07:05 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2009, 06:55 PM   #26
Tradition Sports Online

RynoAid's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcopenhagenh
Instead of programming what will be cool with the skilled position athletes, the team needs to program blocking schemes FIRST. Then program everything else. This would make a far better game IMO.
This for sure, whether zone blocking, trapping, pulling or just man on man, football plays are designed from the ground up starting with blocking scheme.

nice commentary.

TAKING APPLICATIONS NOW FOR CCM LEAGUES
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/rynoaid
Old 07-29-2009, 07:06 PM   #27
Rookie

Florida10Champs's Arena

OVR: 1

Yeah your right. It seems like when I get sacked that the defensive end just goes in a clockwise motion and my offensive line looks completely lost while my QB is getting leveled.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:28 PM   #28
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

I have to agree with the general sentiment about the blocking AI being poor.

Biggest problem with running out of the shotgun is that blocks along the line of scrimmage rarely see defenders driven down field and on top of that the blocks develop so slowly. Also, the defense acts way too decisively and is able to key on the ball carrier every time, it basically negates the idea of read option plays since they utilize deception in oreder to create indecision in the defense, thereby causing them to react slower to the play.

Another big thing is that the o-line doesn't ever get into the secondary. Look at the examples below of how the o-line gets down field (and gets down field fast) on the zone read. There seems to be no ability for the offensive line to dominate on run plays in NCAA 10, they simply occupy the defensive line for too short a time while and the LB's are completely free to make plays. Look how active and aggressive the o-line is in these video examples, they're constantly moving and working. Even in instances where the line gets teed off on they still manage to drive the defenders outwards and seal them off pretty well.

Finally, one thing you notice in those videos is how hard and fast Blount hits the hole, and how fast the blocks have developed. If you tried to hit the hole like that in NCAA 10 the gameplay mechanic would dictate that the defense would break off their blocks immediately because you've hit the spring button.

Last edited by bad_philanthropy; 07-29-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:35 PM   #29
MVP

OVR: 20

^^^Great post. That is another thing that annoys me is that the defense never seems to be fooled on read plays. Along with offensive linemen not getting down field at all, they don't even do it on screens.

College: Michigan Wolverines
NHL: Detroit Red Wings
NBA:Detroit Pistons
MLB: Detroit Tigers
Old 07-30-2009, 09:41 AM   #30
Banned

OVR: 8

[quote=slthree;2039924885]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcopenhagenh
Here is how a real life sweep should be blocked (Oh, and it is very obvious the RB is sprinting in the backfield before he hits the hole): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh5I5F3IEaA

The reason this sweep works is because the WR who ran it followed closely behind 3 key blocks. He stayed literally on top of the back who originally sprung him. He did not run wide and sprint, as many here do and wonder why they get tackled so quickly.

Notice, he keeps the sweep "tight" and does not make a beeline to the sideline, as many here do and wonder why they get tackled so quickly.

There are issues with the blocking, no doubt, but there are more issues with users who don't understand that you have to use your blockers. In this game, if you run a sweep and get too wide too quickly your lineman will look stupid but that is the users fault.

You try to make the point that the back is sprinting the entire way. I'm guessing you say that because your trying to prove that users should be able to mash the sprint button immediately and it not affect the play. Wrong.

That point is invalid as the receiver who runs the ball is coming off motion. He is not a Tailback receiving a pitch from a standstill. Since I was a Tailback I can tell you with certainty that no back is taught to sprint outside full speed immediately upon receiving the pitch.

You gotta run fast but not wrecklessly. You cannot outrun your blockers. There is a reason the elite backs have a "second gear". You don't see it until a lane has developed. A lane doesn't develop on the sweep until engagement. We have beat this subject to death in the impressions thread with video. Go check it out.

Still, there are examples of terrible AI blocking in this game. I second the slip screen blocking mentioned earlier where 3 lineman ignored 1 defender. I hate that
You are wrong.

First off, that is a Wing Back out of the Wing T.

Second Off, no one ever said smash the sprint button from the time you receive the snap. Obviously these kids weren't sprinting in the backfield. But, when they saw the seem, they hit the hole hard. They just didn't trot through there. They kicked it up a gear and took off. My point is, as soon as you do that in this game you are tackled. You really can't hit second gear until you are getting through the hole because the defense reacts to the sprint button. The defense does not react to a the sprint in real life, however in this game when the sprint button is hit the defense acts like Gods.

Lastly, watch when the kid is about to explode through that hole. He bursts through when it is there and runs through arm tackles at the most. When you sprint to hit that hole in the game you get ghost tackle from the DL and LB's. In the game the DL will be engaged and are clearly being blocked, but as soon as you hit the sprint button, they magically release the OL and get to the ball carrier.

The blocking on this game is comical at best.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:07 AM   #31
Hall Of Fame

kingkilla56's Arena

OVR: 31

Next year, competent o linemen will be the big new feature.... I hope
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2009, 11:17 AM   #32
Banned

sois's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football4Natic
Here is a hint... let go of the sprint button and wait for the play to develop. The blocking is not perfect but it does a good job. People who suck at running the ball will say is the blocking and not their way of running
I consider myself a decent football gamer and pretty knowledgeable of football. I know how to use patience and read my blocks.

What team are you using? What playbook? I am using Texas Tech on All American. The back is pretty good this season. I'm averaging 2 yards a carry.

I've seen so many plays that should work but don't due to the OL doing stupid things. I've lined up against dime defenses and been stopped for losses. I've given up on any plays where the guard pulls or any draws. I'm essentially running dives all game and all I can muster is 2 ypc.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »