Home

What are everyone's thoughts on Sportsmanship?

This is a discussion on What are everyone's thoughts on Sportsmanship? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-28-2009, 10:44 PM   #9
Pro

TrevJo's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: What are everyone's thoughts on Sportsmanship?

Well, a 25 point lead is a whole different ballgame than a 2-score lead. But yeah you'd think it would matter that it's 3rd & 8.
Oh well, guess I won't worry about other broken scenarios until I actually encounter them.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:45 PM   #10
MVP

UATide's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
They just need to make the passing when you have the lead contextual to yardage. In other words a 3 yard dump-off pass is fine but a 50 yard bomb is -50.

And yes they DEF. should give you +150 or so for subbing in your 2nd stringers.

Most def. have to agree with ODogg, on this one.

This Is Alabama Football.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:03 PM   #11
MVP

brandon27's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevJo
When they announced the Sportsmanship aspect of Season Showdown, I was glad. I play the game pretty straight-up, I figured anything to encourage others to do so was probably a good thing.

However, after having played the game for a short time, I have 4 observations:
1. The incredibly low scores of schools indicate to me that it probably hasn't done much to change the way people play.
2. I played the first game of the season with Florida against FCS Southeast... was up 42-0 I think in the second quarter (mostly defensive and special teams TDs). Got a sportsmanship warning for throwing the ball on a 1st down so I though ok, that's cool. So then I get the ball back with less than a minute left in the seconds left in the half, I figure, I can probably pass now. Nope, -50 sportsmanship points. In the first half, really?
3. For the second half I put my second string in. No sportsmanship points awarded for doing so. Why not?
4. In the third quarter, after a penalty and two runs, I had 3rd & 12. I thought, I can pass on 3rd & long, right? Nope, -150 sportsmanship points.

I will probably avoid breaking the sportsmanship rules as they are implemented, but it seems to me that the implementation is extreme. Barring injury to the starter, how is a backup QB supposed to ever get to do anything? I mean, if it's the second half and you come out throwing with your first string, that's one thing. From what I have seen so far, it seems to me that the game treats all pass attempts the same once you get a certain lead, and that is not a reasonable gauge of sportsmanship.
I couldn't agree more. It drives me nuts in the occasions where I'm fortunate enough to get a big lead, I'm all of a sudden limited to calling only run plays, unless I want -50, or worse on every pass play I call. It drives me nuts. I don't like that its forcing me to play the game its way. I'd like to be able to put in the backups, and let them gets some playing time, throw a few passes with the backup, freshman QB to help along his progression etc... but I can't. Its frustrating to have a good game, get a nice lead, then have to sit there and do nothing but call dive plays for the last half...

As some have said, at least tie the negative sportsmanship points in to the distance of the pass. Huge gains, larger points docked. Small passes, screens, dump offs etc... should have no bearing. The other thing is, provide more points for + sporstmanship. running out the clock etc only worth 5, or 10 points per play?? Sometimes I've seen it only give me 2!

I love the idea of it, but I find myself wishing there was a way I could turn off SS now...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2009, 11:05 PM   #12
stewaat

OVR:

Seems pretty stupid to me and I have no desire to ever turn it on.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:00 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 3

Does it subtract Sportsmanship points if you Super Sim? I haven't started my dynasty yet because I'm waiting for community rosters. If you get up 28-0 then sim does this prevent sportsmanship loss? Of course the problem with that is that the CPU always scores when you sim...
Old 07-29-2009, 04:07 PM   #14
Rookie

ebarws6's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
And yes they DEF. should give you +150 or so for subbing in your 2nd stringers.
I already asked Ben about that over at ncaastrategies/utopia and he said that they considered it but thought there were too many ways to cheat it like putting all of your starters 2nd string and then subbing them in. I thought why not only get sportsmanship points for putting in 2nd stringers in the second half up 3 TD's, because with your 2nd stringers who would be actually 1st stringers it would be kinda hard to get that big of a lead with worse people than the starters.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:24 PM   #15
Pro

TrevJo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeEmm
Does it subtract Sportsmanship points if you Super Sim? I haven't started my dynasty yet because I'm waiting for community rosters. If you get up 28-0 then sim does this prevent sportsmanship loss? Of course the problem with that is that the CPU always scores when you sim...
Nope, you're safe with SuperSim. But get this. I had about 50 seconds left in the game, it was 3rd down, I'm up 27-0. I called a run play without thinking, but then I decided I should take a knee instead. So I called a timeout so that I could take a knee... -75 sportsmanship points for calling a timeout! Then I took the knee and got +5 sportsmanship points, lol.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2009, 04:25 PM   #16
Pro

TrevJo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebarws6
I already asked Ben about that over at ncaastrategies/utopia and he said that they considered it but thought there were too many ways to cheat it like putting all of your starters 2nd string and then subbing them in. I thought why not only get sportsmanship points for putting in 2nd stringers in the second half up 3 TD's, because with your 2nd stringers who would be actually 1st stringers it would be kinda hard to get that big of a lead with worse people than the starters.
Did Ben consider the fact that a good running team can run up the score big time with long option run plays and such and not get docked sportsmanship points for it?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »