Home

Help for a Defensive Idiot

This is a discussion on Help for a Defensive Idiot within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-29-2009, 02:08 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 6
Help for a Defensive Idiot

Ok so im that guy that has no idea what to do on defense. I love this game and have an intense online dynasty going on that is extremely fast paced, I watch college football and enjoy it, and I even participate in a football sim website. However I still have no idea how to stop different offenses. I live by ask Corso but lately he seems like an idiot. So ive come here for help.

If anyone could give me a run down on how the base defenses work that would be great.

Also, what defenses should I run for these kind of things...

Constant Passes over the middle

Constant Passes to the running backs to the outside

Runs to the outside

Runs to the inside

Any help will be GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks guys!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2009, 08:49 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Help for a Defensive Idiot

For the majority of those scenarios you listed "cover 2 zone" is a good one too call. Most of the defensive formations have the cover 2 zone. It is really hard to pass inside, pretty effective against screens and is effective against outside and inside runs espically if you have one of your LB's spy the HB. Don't get this confused with the other cover 2, which is cover 2 man in which it's total man coverage except for both safeties drop back and cover their half of the field. About the only way to exploit the cover 2 zone is either use a overload formation to one side or use deep routes with 3 or 4 guys going deep.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:43 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 6

sounds good man ill give it a try next game...

any other suggestions?
Old 07-29-2009, 01:52 PM   #4
MVP

KleShreen's Arena

OVR: 10

In my experience, I usually crash the defensive linemen into the middle if the opponent is getting good yardage on inside runs. Usually that will shut them down, and for *most* teams, the linebackers are fast enough to get to the RB if he tries to go outside.

Passing I can't help you with though...seems no matter what I call, my DB's are all 3 yards behind every single move.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:08 PM   #5
MVP

seriousluboy83's Arena

OVR: 20

IMO it's basically a matter of how far the opponent has to go...1yd to go man...5yds+/- to go cover 3(+), zone blitz(+), or cover 2(-)...10yds+ mostly cover 3 press or man press and I usually match-up like 3wide/3dbs only on 3rd down and if they go 4wide on 1st down I match-up...hope this makes sense to you
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2009, 03:00 PM   #6
Rookie

kj11aw's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heelz
For the majority of those scenarios you listed "cover 2 zone" is a good one too call. Most of the defensive formations have the cover 2 zone. It is really hard to pass inside, pretty effective against screens and is effective against outside and inside runs espically if you have one of your LB's spy the HB. Don't get this confused with the other cover 2, which is cover 2 man in which it's total man coverage except for both safeties drop back and cover their half of the field. About the only way to exploit the cover 2 zone is either use a overload formation to one side or use deep routes with 3 or 4 guys going deep.
i'll add that the deep middle is VERY vulnerable when playing cover 2....
Old 07-29-2009, 03:08 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj11aw
i'll add that the deep middle is VERY vulnerable when playing cover 2....

In my experience, the garden variety online gamer doesnt understand how to read or attack a cover 2..but you are right, if he's playing an OD with guys who know what they are doing, he will get caught on post and seam routes.

As far as basics go...Id start out by paying attention to what personnel your opponent comes out in.

If you see him in a basic 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE set...come out in your base defense (4-3, 3-4, 4-2-5, 3-3-5...depending on your playbook)

If he has 3 WRs, the go nickle package, dime or quarters for 4 or more.

Start out with learning to understand the basic zone coverages: Cover 2, Cover 4, Cover 3, and then sprinkle in some zone blitzes in long yardage situations.

Basically, I'd start out with conservative, safe, zones, and then gradually opening up as you get more comfortable with how they work.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »