Home

My Last Game - Where is the Pride

This is a discussion on My Last Game - Where is the Pride within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-30-2009, 10:42 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 2
My Last Game - Where is the Pride

I want to start off by saying that a.) I usually don't get on a board and whine about a game and give my thoughts on gameplay, etc. and b.) I've been EA since Road Rash, and have bought every NCAA game and Madden (although I'm a bigger College football game and the Madden has been a loyalty purchase with most of my time going to NCAA).

With that being said, I think this franchise is being ran into the ground and I ask where is the pride. As a younger kid, I could deal with the minor changes year in and year out on PS1, PS2. I didn't really know the difference and just enjoyed it.. And I would claim it was the best game ever because I truthfully thought it was. Now on next Gen and at 26 years old, I can't kid myself anymore. The last two years that I've had PS3, I just was quiet... Now, I'm just frustrated.

The technicalities of football and all the details of lineplay/etc I'm sure is tedious to program for, I know this and do not deny this. But what we have now is something that is thrown together and kinda works, but for the most part doesn't work at all. I can get over that until the little things irritate me over and over to the point that the game play bugs set me over the top and the game is just not enjoyable at all. There is no pride taken in developing the game. It's ****.

Playing Dynasty GT vs. Miami I lose, and I can take a loss, I wish for them. But what's upsetting is the first half I'm getting whipped and my players are running into each other sticking on each other and just being plain goofy in what resembles a slot car track. They're in their lanes that will cross the preprogrammed defense lanes, no ifs ands or buts. The opposing quarterback Robos and absolutely manhandles me the first half - The D is tackling me before I even take a step. Passing out of flexbone is just impossible because the safeties slide step and seem to fly 20 yards across field to knock the ball down, and the line defenders break block, super step and tackle you once you hit R2 to start your run in what seems to be a lane.

I took that beating first half and in the second half used the Aggressive options which means my defense now jumps every snap and the CPU is next to useless on offense at that point. To avenge the loss I recruit and play North Carolina.

Again, the same issues are evident, however the game is boring at this point because of just how the plays play out. Not to mention as USUAL the CPU seems to pick out one player on their team that is going to get 200+ yards and every TD regardless. This happened to be their wideout, Jones and thanks to Robo Yates the game was close going into half, me leading by 14... Second half I engage Aggressive D, and they don't score but one more at the end of the game. Seems as though Engaging that is the sure fire way to never not jump a snap, see what I mean - Just sloppy development.

I also heard that this game took into account speed, size of players and that there were going to be better tackling physics? Where exactly is that? In both games, Dwyer broke no one on one CB tackles which if there were any of those physics as far as angles, speed would have been impossible. A CB coming off of block, and Dwyer or any fullback full speed turning up field on the sideline, is not going to get grabbed by that CB and stood up, pushed back, and drove in the ground 100% of the time.

Going back to slot cars, I'm also just tired of seeing motion make a receiver slide around another receiver... Getting away from slot cars, when will the players finally not be able to clip through the wall after a touchdown? Seriously? Run through a goal post and through the wall, where's the pride?

Why on earth did the controls ever change to the right analog doing swim moves. I thought 09 was ridiculous getting sucked into blocks and not being able to disengage , but with R1 and L1 I at least felt like I might have a fighting chance. With this analog stick, I'm not convinced it does anything. It seems no matter what I'm getting knocked to the ground, evidence on each kickoff. Go hard at the blocker, finesse, swim left, swim right... It just seems like it's predetermined in my mind and the right stick is just giving me the false impression that I can evade a block once in a while.

Finish that game up, and low and behold on the way back to the Dynasty news screen, the games locks on the loading screen. Sure, Erin Andrews' picture was there, but damn...

(and why take out the celebration controls to do a team, personal at the press of X or Square Or Triangle? Now I just run around in a circle looking for someone to show some emotion with me after a touchdown, but I'm brought to the Field Goal screen with noone... noone!)

I can't play the optimist, the game is great role anymore. I'm kidding myself. Between defenders slide stepping to you at the push of R2 to my players going through the stadium walls all the way to what really matters like gameplay, This game is stuck if not declining. College football is built on Pride, and I feel like the NCAA Series has lost that and EA/Developers/Someone doesn't want to bother getting that sense of pride back. It's depressing really, and as bad as it urks me to say this and come to the realization, I think this game is getting traded in and I'm not going down this road again until I play the demo and feel like the pride is back.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2009, 10:55 PM   #2
Pro

IIx Nautica xII's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: My Last Game - Where is the Pride

maybe you should sell your ps3 and get a 360, game manufacturers are putting more time and money into the 360 versions because they are in more households.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:00 PM   #3
Brake less...Go Faster!

Sundown2600's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanner
I want to start off by saying that a.) I usually don't get on a board and whine about a game and give my thoughts on gameplay, etc. and b.) I've been EA since Road Rash, and have bought every NCAA game and Madden (although I'm a bigger College football game and the Madden has been a loyalty purchase with most of my time going to NCAA).

With that being said, I think this franchise is being ran into the ground and I ask where is the pride. As a younger kid, I could deal with the minor changes year in and year out on PS1, PS2. I didn't really know the difference and just enjoyed it.. And I would claim it was the best game ever because I truthfully thought it was. Now on next Gen and at 26 years old, I can't kid myself anymore. The last two years that I've had PS3, I just was quiet... Now, I'm just frustrated.

The technicalities of football and all the details of lineplay/etc I'm sure is tedious to program for, I know this and do not deny this. But what we have now is something that is thrown together and kinda works, but for the most part doesn't work at all. I can get over that until the little things irritate me over and over to the point that the game play bugs set me over the top and the game is just not enjoyable at all. There is no pride taken in developing the game. It's ****.

Playing Dynasty GT vs. Miami I lose, and I can take a loss, I wish for them. But what's upsetting is the first half I'm getting whipped and my players are running into each other sticking on each other and just being plain goofy in what resembles a slot car track. They're in their lanes that will cross the preprogrammed defense lanes, no ifs ands or buts. The opposing quarterback Robos and absolutely manhandles me the first half - The D is tackling me before I even take a step. Passing out of flexbone is just impossible because the safeties slide step and seem to fly 20 yards across field to knock the ball down, and the line defenders break block, super step and tackle you once you hit R2 to start your run in what seems to be a lane.

I took that beating first half and in the second half used the Aggressive options which means my defense now jumps every snap and the CPU is next to useless on offense at that point. To avenge the loss I recruit and play North Carolina.

Again, the same issues are evident, however the game is boring at this point because of just how the plays play out. Not to mention as USUAL the CPU seems to pick out one player on their team that is going to get 200+ yards and every TD regardless. This happened to be their wideout, Jones and thanks to Robo Yates the game was close going into half, me leading by 14... Second half I engage Aggressive D, and they don't score but one more at the end of the game. Seems as though Engaging that is the sure fire way to never not jump a snap, see what I mean - Just sloppy development.

I also heard that this game took into account speed, size of players and that there were going to be better tackling physics? Where exactly is that? In both games, Dwyer broke no one on one CB tackles which if there were any of those physics as far as angles, speed would have been impossible. A CB coming off of block, and Dwyer or any fullback full speed turning up field on the sideline, is not going to get grabbed by that CB and stood up, pushed back, and drove in the ground 100% of the time.

Going back to slot cars, I'm also just tired of seeing motion make a receiver slide around another receiver... Getting away from slot cars, when will the players finally not be able to clip through the wall after a touchdown? Seriously? Run through a goal post and through the wall, where's the pride?

Why on earth did the controls ever change to the right analog doing swim moves. I thought 09 was ridiculous getting sucked into blocks and not being able to disengage , but with R1 and L1 I at least felt like I might have a fighting chance. With this analog stick, I'm not convinced it does anything. It seems no matter what I'm getting knocked to the ground, evidence on each kickoff. Go hard at the blocker, finesse, swim left, swim right... It just seems like it's predetermined in my mind and the right stick is just giving me the false impression that I can evade a block once in a while.

Finish that game up, and low and behold on the way back to the Dynasty news screen, the games locks on the loading screen. Sure, Erin Andrews' picture was there, but damn...

(and why take out the celebration controls to do a team, personal at the press of X or Square Or Triangle? Now I just run around in a circle looking for someone to show some emotion with me after a touchdown, but I'm brought to the Field Goal screen with noone... noone!)

I can't play the optimist, the game is great role anymore. I'm kidding myself. Between defenders slide stepping to you at the push of R2 to my players going through the stadium walls all the way to what really matters like gameplay, This game is stuck if not declining. College football is built on Pride, and I feel like the NCAA Series has lost that and EA/Developers/Someone doesn't want to bother getting that sense of pride back. It's depressing really, and as bad as it urks me to say this and come to the realization, I think this game is getting traded in and I'm not going down this road again until I play the demo and feel like the pride is back.
First I want to say that I read this whole post and I share in your frustration with EA's next gen NCAA. It's sad when I have to look back and say to myself that NCAA 06 and 07 last gen was 10 times better than any NCAA released next gen. That should not be the case.

Second thing is that the AI sliders help make an almost unplayable game at least halfway playable. I have no idea how any person who claims to be a sim football fan can play this game with all of the sliders at 50. it's pure arcade action on those settings. Try turning down the QB accuracy of both sides to 15 or 20. Much more realistic.

Third. The O-Line AI logic is atrocious. I have no words to describe how frustrating it is to drop back in shotgun and have my left tackle decide to look to the right and matador the DE into me. What about when running counter plays only to see your pulling guard have a brain attack and block the guy trailing the play, or just run randomly and run into his own line mate.

What about being lead on a perfectly timed screen play or a breakout run when you patiently follow blocks as any sim football fan would only to have the blockers run in all directions as if someone just shot a sniper round at them.

I heard NaS say hip hop is dead a few years back, well sim football gaming is dead too and EA has the smoking gun in hand. RIP
Old 07-30-2009, 11:09 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown2600
First I want to say that I read this whole post and I share in your frustration with EA's next gen NCAA. It's sad when I have to look back and say to myself that NCAA 06 and 07 last gen was 10 times better than any NCAA released next gen. That should not be the case.

Second thing is that the AI sliders help make an almost unplayable game at least halfway playable. I have no idea how any person who claims to be a sim football fan can play this game with all of the sliders at 50. it's pure arcade action on those settings. Try turning down the QB accuracy of both sides to 15 or 20. Much more realistic.

Third. The O-Line AI logic is atrocious. I have no words to describe how frustrating it is to drop back in shotgun and have my left tackle decide to look to the right and matador the DE into me. What about when running counter plays only to see your pulling guard have a brain attack and block the guy trailing the play, or just run randomly and run into his own line mate.

What about being lead on a perfectly timed screen play or a breakout run when you patiently follow blocks as any sim football fan would only to have the blockers run in all directions as if someone just shot a sniper round at them.

I heard NaS say hip hop is dead a few years back, well sim football gaming is dead too and EA has the smoking gun in hand. RIP
The sliders have been tweaked with about every slider set on this forum. I'm just at the end of the rope of not necessarily defending the series - but just having anything good to say about it.

And before anything is said on the running portion and speed burst - Yes I understand the concept of looking for holes to open before accelerating as far as running up the middle, but seeing the whole and what should be a speed burst through it gets hand tackled, and on the ends it's an immediate break block by what seems like every player that was engaged regardless of their position in the block when I pushed R2

As for the xbox comment, please dude get a clue - It's no different on that console either.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:34 PM   #5
Banned

klb835's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:

Sir you and I are on the same page. I agree with everything you say. This game is bad. Really really really bad. Where is the fun in this game? I use to get pumped playing NCAA. Now its more like a chore to get my college football fix in. I use to spend 3 hrs in the offseason with my brother doing recruits. Now its, ok ok ok ok start new season

Here's my thoughts on it
http://www.operationsports.com/klb83...-10-s-garbage/

Last edited by klb835; 07-30-2009 at 11:38 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2009, 11:41 PM   #6
MVP

TrapStar215's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:

Can I get the short version of this? lol
"Okay, here's the story. I come from the gutter. I know that. I got no education... but that's okay. I know the street, and I'm making all the right connections. With the right woman, there's no stopping me. I could go right to the top."

Old 07-31-2009, 12:39 AM   #7
HST
Banned

We're looking into whether or not we can PATCH in the Cliff's Notes for you.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:48 AM   #8
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HST
We're looking into whether or not we can PATCH in the Cliff's Notes for you.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »