Home

WR Screen - execution problems

This is a discussion on WR Screen - execution problems within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-09-2009, 12:02 AM   #9
All Star

LionsFanNJ's Arena

OVR: 29
Re: WR Screen - execution problems

I've gone into practice and labbed screens for hours getting the timing, what to look for on the d and everything down. I say i can get decent gains 60% of the time. Still, i don't like it when the D turns the second the pass flies over their heads and is on a dead run at the reciever. p****s me off.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:40 AM   #10
Rookie

guru8's Arena

OVR: 6

Ive scored on it as well several times...you do have to practice it...
NBA- Phoenix Suns
MLB- Atlanta Braves

'Life is not a sprint, it's a marathon.. you start off fast, and now ya wheezin' in the back" - Jay-Z (2005)
Old 08-09-2009, 02:51 AM   #11
Pro

WolverinesFinest's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru8
Ive scored on it as well several times...you do have to practice it...
You can practice it and it helps but sometimes the ai is just stupid on the screens which is what makes it a loss when it should be a gain. ill try to find a vid of what Im saying
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2009, 02:55 AM   #12
Rookie

milmont77's Arena

OVR: 5

I do have success with it the play on occassion. What I have been saying is that there is a time when the play is supposed to succeed and it's not. I'm referring to the defense over comitting to the run and my WR is wide open with blockers to boot. The execution of the play is not consistent. My WR is catching the ball, taking an extra step towards the QB, stopping, turning to look up field and then he gets crushed from swarming defenders who have had time to react when they were clearly beaten on the play. There are times when that doesn't happen and the WR blockers miss their blocks. i am almost ok with that. And then there are times when the play works I break loose for big yds or at least the first down. My main complaint is the times when the play is just clearly not executing correctly and no amount of practice will correct it.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:44 AM   #13
Pro

OVR: 13

i love the screen. for me, it depends on the specific play. I run one out of the 5 WR set. They line up two on the left, three on the right. Put a TE in on the right. If it's a zone, this play is killer. Drop back until the dline commits, but not so much that your qb is forced to throw off his back foot as this messes up the timing. But once completed, there is a receiver, TE and two olinemen blocking the remaining defenders (typically two corners a safety and an lb). the longest play i've had on this game was a WR screen. there was like 10 seconds left in the half so i came out in 5 wide. the d played a prevent basically, so when the corners and safeties dropped, i got right behind my pulling tackle and gaurd and took it 90+ yards.

i'm not that good at the HB screen. success on that is rare for me.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:03 AM   #14
Pro

OVR: 3

The WR screen is all about the situation you run it in.

Just watch what you're opponent is running for the most part. If they continue to run Zone, and the DEs are rushing in every time, the WR Screen should work.

MAKE SURE you run it with other WRs on the side of the screen. For instance, run the WR Screen to a Trips side and it should really help. It takes entirely too long for a TE or OL to run out there and block a CB... but on the other hand, it should be a lot easier for a WR to run out there and made a block because they are usually a couple of yards away.

WR Screens get stopped quite a bit on this game, so you have to wait until the right moment to run it.

BTW fyi, NEVER run the WR Middle Screen... it almost never gets over 3-4 yards. I've had WRs that are wide open turn around and have the ball hit them in the back. I've had Defensive Lineman intercept it out of the air pretty much out of nowhere. I've had the QB completely miss the WR, and I've had the ball hit my own offensive lineman in the back. Anytime I do get the ball to the WR, it never works... so the risk is nowhere worth the reward. Just avoid it as much as possible.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:57 AM   #15
Banned

Strummer101er's Arena

OVR: 7

I've had lots of success with 'em on Varsity and All-American.

First, the execution is much smoother if you throw it to your QB's natural side (i.e., if you have a lefty, throw the screen left, and if you have a right-handed QB, throw it, uh, right). This way, the throwing animation is much smoother and the play develops more quickly.

And second, I find it helps a lot if I highlight the receiver I'm throwing to (as if I'm going to motion him) and snap the ball when the camera is zoomed out. That way, you can make your read much faster 'cause you have a better angle.

WR Mid Screens don't seem to work on any level.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2009, 12:18 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 3

It difficult to execute because the defense runs press man about 70% of the time and against man coverage (unless the CPU is doing an all out blitz) the corner will run straight to the receiver and blow it up. It works great against zone or zone blitzes; so what I've been doing is calling the WR screen, then I will audible out of it if the CPU is pressing or in man coverage. Which about 80 percent of the time I have to audible to a quick pass.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »