Home

Pass defense against the CPU

This is a discussion on Pass defense against the CPU within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-12-2009, 09:26 AM   #1
Pro

ab2c4's Arena

OVR: 8
Pass defense against the CPU

My problem is, no matter what I set my Defensive Pass defense slider to, my DB's never try to swat the ball down. The only imcompetions the CPU has are when they throw a really bad pass out of bounds or into the ground (because of this, the cpu QB always has a pass completion percentage higher than 80%). All my DB's do is react after the WR catches the ball and tackle him at that point. I already have the Pass Defense slider (I think that is what it is called) at 75 for myself. The only thing that is changed is that my DB's now are right next to the WR and tackle him faster after the catch.......but they almost never try to swat down the ball.

I am playing on Varsity and am using Nebraska who has a A- defense. I tried playing on AA but couldn't get realistic stats at all. Is this just a known issue in the game, or is there some other slider other than the Pass Defense slider that will make my DB's try to knock the ball down?

I know this isn't all in my head. Last night I played NCAA 07 on the ps2 just to make sure and sure enough my DB's swatted at the ball often (whenever they had a realistic chance to), and half of those ended up with them knocking down the ball for an incompletion.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2009, 02:18 PM   #2
MVP

Kriech23's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Pass defense against the CPU

If you have your gameplan on aggressive, they rarely to never knock the ball down, they don't even jump. However, if you set you gameplan to conservative they will knock down a lot of the passes. But, they almost never intercept it, they just bat it down. Not sure when the gameplan is on normal, never really tried it. Hope it helps.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:08 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

i find that running any of the press coverages, ie. 2 man press, cover 1 press are good defenses to run. i very rarely use zone coverage b/c that always gets broken by the QB.

you might also want to lower your QB accuracy. I have mine at 5 and they still complete a lot of passes, but you'll see overthrows more often.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:55 PM   #4
Pro

ab2c4's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriech23
If you have your gameplan on aggressive, they rarely to never knock the ball down, they don't even jump. However, if you set you gameplan to conservative they will knock down a lot of the passes. But, they almost never intercept it, they just bat it down. Not sure when the gameplan is on normal, never really tried it. Hope it helps.
Hmmm, I have my gameplan set to Normal all the time.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:01 PM   #5
Pro

ab2c4's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllEyezOnV
i find that running any of the press coverages, ie. 2 man press, cover 1 press are good defenses to run. i very rarely use zone coverage b/c that always gets broken by the QB.

you might also want to lower your QB accuracy. I have mine at 5 and they still complete a lot of passes, but you'll see overthrows more often.
I have the cpu QB accuracy set to 40 at the moment. My problem with the game is, yes I could lower the QB accuracy to reduce the cpu's pass completion percentage, but that still doesn't fix why my DB's don't even make an attemp to knock the ball down. I appreciate the advice though. I think the defensive pass coverage needs a lot of work before next year's release.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2009, 05:12 PM   #6
MVP

Kriech23's Arena

OVR: 17

There are certain things to set, like defensive line (jump snap), zone coverage (looser or tighter zones), pass defense (interceptions or swats). Pass defense is what you want to concentrate on. Having it on conservative is more beneficial when your winning but when your losing it's better to have it on normal where they bat down some balls but not near as many, or aggressive where they pretty much just let the receiver catch it and then tackle him. I would think in aggressive, the defender would try to catch but he just watches the receiver catch it. Mind boggling. Try conservative just for pass defense. However, pressing the defenders is great when trying to get pressure on the quarterback, but if he has time, he'll throw it over the top and your defender has little to no chance of making a play on the ball.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »