Home

The worst thing about this game, and a solution

This is a discussion on The worst thing about this game, and a solution within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-20-2009, 12:04 PM   #33
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: The worst thing about this game, and a solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiesCavs
Programming doesn't work like that. You can't simply slap on new and shiny graphics on the same gameplay engine. All of the code is interwoven and works together. When they had to upgrade the graphics for this generation of systems, they had to build a new gameplay engine that works with the new graphics.
I don't doubt that's true to an extent, but then what's the explaination for Fight Night Round 3 and NHL 2k7 on 360? The FN3 producers essentially admitted that they put that game out in 2006 with practically the last-gen engine and an HD "sheen" over it. And if you played NHL 2k7 for 360, there was little or no difference to the way that game played on PS2 vs. 360.

I played both NCAA 2005 and NCAA 06 yesterday. The visuals did not translate well to an HDTV (not surprisingly). But I think people have also failed to realize how much our gameplay standards have gone up over the past 4 years. Take any elite receiver in NCAA 06 (I used Braylon Edwards), and you basically can use a long bomb as a "win" play anytime you want. Throw it beyond the safety coverage, and your guy will run it down, almost guaranteed. Last-gen Madden was arguably even worse in that regard.

I think that the emergence of online play really changed the way people felt about using cheeser plays against the CPU. If you never played anybody but the computer, it was really easy to convince yourself you were "outsmarting" the computer by pressing the Square button and hitting your flanker in stride over and over again. That is, until you went online and had somebody do the same thing to you over and over again, plus 10 other "money" plays you never thought of. Once people "saw through the veil" and recognized how easy it was to break those games, the gameplay standards went way up. (We also demanded stuff like gang tackling, etc., but that's a separate point).

But I will say that the off-the-field stuff in NCAA 06 and Madden 05/06 is still probably superior to what we have now. I'm considering playing NCAA just to sim the games and assemble my roster, kinda like an NCAA Head Coach. 70% of my enjoyment of that game was doing the recruiting stuff anyway! NCAA was starting to make headway into becoming a deeper dynasty mode (the phone call system has been pretty popular, and we now have online dynasty and competitive recruiting, plus promises), but they took away the discipline system. Worst of all, they completely broke the progression system, which takes away any feeling of accomplishment I get from assembling a good team.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:05 PM   #34
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjphillips
Who was on the cover of 06? I know I played with Penn State a lot that year.
Desmond Howard doing the Heisman pose, baby. (I'm a Michigan alum) It was also the first year they threw a bunch of retro music and gameclips in the menus, in lieu of the usual fight song tracklist.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:07 PM   #35
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYMO76
Yup the stat overlays on the ps2 were the best stat overlays I have ever seen. They are so weak and random on next gen versions.
That's true for NCAA. Madden 10, however, has done a really good job of relaying current stats if you pay attention to the scoreboard bar on the bottom. For next year, they should tone down the constant 1st down measurements and refs conferring over TD calls, and throw in just a little bit more TV overlays, and it will be perfect. (Also, they need to fix the awful halftime show, but at least they laid a foundation)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2009, 12:10 PM   #36
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpd115
'06 was awesome, no doubt.

But the problem was the Deep ball. With PSU, send then FR Derrick Williams on a fly route. Touchdown Penn State...

All. Game. Long.
Well, right, which is why I would argue that if you released NCAA 06 today (with up-to-date visuals, etc.), this site would have DESTROYED it. People would be threating to return it immediately if they didn't release a patch, and nobody would want to play it online. Goes to show how far the standards have come.

2006 (and especially 2005) were also funny because your receivers were invincible on deep routes, but couldn't catch a lobbed screen pass to save their lives! Seriously, I remember the first time I played Madden 2005, and I was stunned: "What, your RB's can actually catch screen passes in this game!?"
Old 08-20-2009, 04:05 PM   #37
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out
All you need to do is add the art, stadiums, and the option to make the game play college.
That's asking a lot from a company that hasn't ever gotten the art, stadiums or the option right!

I mean, the option is the most broken play in the game - it isn't run properly, blocked properly or defended properly. At least it is consistent!
Old 08-20-2009, 05:21 PM   #38
Banned

OVR: 8

06 wasn't a good game. Impact players were a bust. Way over done feature. A 60 overall RB that was impact was as good as Adrian Peterson. WR's also never dropped the ball. 06 was the first year I started hating EA. I can remember beating people using A+ teams like Oklahoma with C- or below teams like USF or San Diego State. The AI was awful for 06. 04 was the best NCAA game.

Last edited by hcopenhagenh; 08-20-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:55 PM   #39
MVP

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJH1
Well, right, which is why I would argue that if you released NCAA 06 today (with up-to-date visuals, etc.), this site would have DESTROYED it. People would be threating to return it immediately if they didn't release a patch, and nobody would want to play it online. Goes to show how far the standards have come.

2006 (and especially 2005) were also funny because your receivers were invincible on deep routes, but couldn't catch a lobbed screen pass to save their lives! Seriously, I remember the first time I played Madden 2005, and I was stunned: "What, your RB's can actually catch screen passes in this game!?"
Yeah, that's human nature for you. But if 06 made its appearance in NCAA 11 the one person you would not hear a complaint from is me. Heck, I wouldn't even be posting on these boards... I would be too busy playing!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »