Home

Diamond in the rough

This is a discussion on Diamond in the rough within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2009, 01:24 AM   #9
Rookie

Macc24JR's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Diamond in the rough

At first when I heard EA would be adding recruits after the NC that nobody would have talked to yet - I jumped on the bandwagon and said blah blah thats such a stupid idea, nobodys going to be a 4* or 5* and not have any offers - but it is actually pretty realistic because some of these guys come out of NOWHERE and suddenly BECOME highly regarded prospects. One of those players was a SS that didn't even have me (USC) on his top 10. I needed to replace my SS and he turned out to be an 87 OVR. I've NEVER seen a 5* receive more than an 82 OVR but I'm so pumped EA finally adressed the fact that some of these kids have the ability to come in as a freshman and not only help their team but dominate.

I've seen 3* recruits rated higher overall than the nations top recruit for that position. I've seen upwards of 82 for 3 Star recruits. I guess that diamond icon in the recruiting process really does mean something. This is defenitely a feature that makes me happy I spent my 70 bucks on the game.

MLB - Atlanta Braves
NFL - Philly Eagles / Seattle Seahawks
NHL - Chicago Blackhawks
NBA - Detroit Pistons
College - USC Trojans
Old 08-18-2009, 09:36 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 4

I know that there is a lot of people who don't like seeing 3* players with high rankings, but I have been going through rivals.com and Colt McCoy, James Laurinaitis, Malcolm Jenkins, Louis Murphy, Brian Robiskie, Darryl Clark, Sean Lee, Evan Royster were all 3* coming in. I guess what I am trying to say is, there are quite a few guys that are 3* stars that make a impact early. So it is not that unrealistic.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:27 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 1

I hate to ask a stupid question but how do you see recruits' 40 times?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2009, 11:33 AM   #12
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13

I have not played this years game that much but in last years game I had a need for a back-up QB. I had a senior that started and a 4* guy, who was ranked as the 3rd best QB and 21st ovr, that was my prize. I was in year 7 with Miami after being fired from Michigan after year 2. So I get this 3* guy that was ranked 67th best QB. When I was looking at who to red shirt I see this guy was 78ovr and my 4* guy was a 74ovr. The 4* guy had speed but no arm. I ended up red shirting the 3* guy and he became my stater for 4 years. He was a 3 time all-american and won the heisman his senior year after finishing 2nd as a junior. He ended up a 97ovr and the #1 pick when I exported the draft class to Madden. The 4* guy was a 87ovr and not drafted. I replaced this 3* with another 3* guy that was a 81ovr after a red **** year. I quit playing before I could see how good he could have been.

Last edited by jbrew2411; 08-18-2009 at 11:34 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-18-2009, 12:02 PM   #13
Rookie

I like that there are some 3*'s that turn out to be studs, but, I wish the method of finding them somewhat less random. For instance, if you could focus on scouting certain positions, attributes, etc. or if you could hire coaches that are better/worse at scouting and all that could help you find "diamonds in the rough" it would be nice. As it is now, it all feels a little bit random for my taste, but, in real life, good coaches often know quite well what they are getting in a player and they determine it for themselves... coaches don't use Rivals rankings in their recruiting.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:00 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 3

3* OLB who was like an 81 or 82..Greg Hall

I found him by sorting by speed (OLB and DE's must have quicks to play on my D) and he was the fastest yet rated out nicely across the rest of the categories.
I am still going after 5*'s to get the Mr. Feb. achievement (hard to get when other schools get 25 kids a yr) but I always try to get at least 3-4, 3*'s and lower to see if they can be as good or better than the highly rated kids.

Recruiting is so blah, that finding diamonds in the rough is the funnest and most challenging part for me.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:34 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 4

2 star HB clark. Ran a 4.38 40 (93 SPD). Was my backup his Freshman YR. Then his SOPH yr rushed for over 2,000 yds and won the Heisman. Is now a SR and he is rated 89 OVR I think and a 95 SPD. He is a beast.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2009, 10:32 PM   #16
Rookie

How do see 40 times?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »