Home

Real life NCAA ?: Do programs ever go from high prestige to very low prestige?

This is a discussion on Real life NCAA ?: Do programs ever go from high prestige to very low prestige? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-23-2009, 07:11 PM   #33
Rookie

Darkeus's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Real life NCAA ?: Do programs ever go from high prestige to very low prestige?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eski33
I agree. Even some of the most prominent programs hit a wall. You mentioned ND, USC and now look at Michigan and Nebraska (although they are on the rebound).

When I was young, I would have been shocked to see Utah, Boise State, Fresno State, etc. ranked ahead of Michigan, Notre Dame, USC, Florida State and Miami. The college game has changed a ton, especially since scholarships have been limited to 85.
YOu know what, the bolded text say alot. IT is the reason I laugh when people say college football has no parity. That is not true at all. Since they limited the scholarships to 85, that has started a trickle down effect so really good athletes that would have ended up at a top-tier school are now getting to those mid-majors. The NCAA has expressed the want for parity in the college game.

IT isn't NFL parity but any mid-major can beat a top-tier team on any given Saturday. That is why teams like Utah, Boise State, and Fresno State are ranked higher. They get pretty damn good talent too..

The Scarlet and Grey, best team in the land!
Old 08-24-2009, 01:11 AM   #34
Banned

dopeboy206's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Real life NCAA ?: Do programs ever go from high prestige to very low prestige?

I'm surprised the Washington Huskies program haven't been brought up. They produced loads of NFL players, won a national title in 1991, & have the 3rd best rose bowl record behind USC and Michigan. This program was it all.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:40 AM   #35
MVP

OVR: 34

I remember back when Pittsburgh used to play in January 1st Bowl games...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2009, 09:46 AM   #36
I Drink Like A Champion!!

yankeesgiants's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopeboy206
I'm surprised the Washington Huskies program haven't been brought up. They produced loads of NFL players, won a national title in 1991, & have the 3rd best rose bowl record behind USC and Michigan. This program was it all.
3 consecuitve bad coaching hires have set them back. We will see if SS can get it turned around.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:07 AM   #37
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopeboy206
I brought them up along with Colorado a page back.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:48 AM   #38
MVP

What the heck has happened to Virgina Football?

This is a school that produced Herman Moore, Ronde and Tiki Barber, James Farrior, and others.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:02 AM   #39
Pro

JalenTigh's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyguyfl31
What the heck has happened to Virgina Football?

This is a school that produced Herman Moore, Ronde and Tiki Barber, James Farrior, and others.
UVA has never been a top of the line program. They were not even that good (nor bad, more like average) when those players you named played there. Alot of very good players play for middle of the road teams.

Georgia

College Basketball
Maryland
Georgetown

NFL
Washington Redskins
Atlanta Falcons
Baltimore Ravens

Old 08-24-2009, 01:24 PM   #40
MVP

Son of Sam99's Arena

OVR: 14

Good example: Yale

Yale is second overall in wins for a D-1 program with 854. And holds the record for most times winning at least a share of the national champioship with 27, however, has not one any since 1927. And, of course, now competes in the FCS.

Between 1869 and 1894 there were only 4 teams who claimed shares of national titles: Yale, Princeton, Harvard, & Rutgers (once). Even then it wasnt untill 1914 that atleast on Ivy League team DIDN'T take home a share.

Last edited by Son of Sam99; 08-24-2009 at 01:35 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »