Home

Shedding Light on the Progression Bug

This is a discussion on Shedding Light on the Progression Bug within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-25-2009, 04:19 PM   #9
stewaat

OVR:
Re: Shedding Light on the Progression Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplepower
I can see what u are saying...but how can you explain a D team (as of now) playing for the NC in less than 2 years....so this does affect game play. Why would you recruit a 5/4 star vs a 2 star that will be just as good in 2 years.

And as far as your ideal of players maybe being over 100...(again I see what you are saying), but the progression bug...you will have 300 plus players rated over 100.
The exaggeration in this post is tremendous.

So you're saying a 2* will be just as good as a 5*?
You're saying within 2 years the D schools are fighting for the NC?

Maybe we have different games.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:20 PM   #10
Rookie

Merih's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplepower
I can see what u are saying...but how can you explain a D team (as of now) playing for the NC in less than 2 years....so this does affect game play. Why would you recruit a 5/4 star vs a 2 star that will be just as good in 2 years.

And as far as your ideal of players maybe being over 100...(again I see what you are saying), but the progression bug...you will have 300 plus players rated over 100.
That's the thing, even though the ratings might be similar (OVR rating that is) they will play different. Take a look at their SPD, STR, TKL, etc etc rather than just the overall. The 5 star guys still are faster, stronger, hit harder, etc etc than the 2 star guys, even if both are rated at 95 OVR.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:28 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 0

This is exactly what I thought was happening. There is no relativetity.

What they should do is allow the OVR calculation go as high as possible based on the skills and then recalculate everyone based on the highest player. It fixes every issue. Ratings should let you know how the teams and players rank relative to the best.

For ex: If OVR wasn't capped at 99 and Tebow OVR came in at 356 (the highest), Bradford at 323, and Pryor at 299. Then the ratings would read:

Tebow = 356/356 = 100 OVR
Bradford = 323/356 = 91 OVR
Pryor = 299/356 = 83 OVR

Do this at each position and you have 1 best player at each position (1 100 at each position and 24 total) and then the rest of the players rated RELATIVE to the best player. This way, if someone is a 97 OVR, they are really that good. Not some stupid mathematical forumla that is weighted by the skills and capped at OVR 99.

Do the same for the teams and re-work the simming formula so that rankings relative to the team are worked in...Done.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2009, 04:33 PM   #12
Rookie

vexerr's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merih
That's the thing, even though the ratings might be similar (OVR rating that is) they will play different. Take a look at their SPD, STR, TKL, etc etc rather than just the overall. The 5 star guys still are faster, stronger, hit harder, etc etc than the 2 star guys, even if both are rated at 95 OVR.

Overall ratings rely too heavily on the AWR attribute, thus making the overall rating of one player greater due to AWR when another player might clearly have the athletic advantage.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:36 PM   #13
Rookie

Merih's Arena

Exactly, and when everyone gains so many AWR points and there's a cap to the ranking then there's problems because the bottom will eventually catch up with the top because the top can't get higher. But they still play higher, if that makes sense.

I'm going to keep playing my dynasty because I've really gotten into it and football season is just around the corner. I'm still pissed at them for not doing a fix for progression; but the damage is done. I already have the game. Might as well use the hell out of it.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:38 PM   #14
Banned

stevedrumsdw's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
I have found this to not always be the case. I have 3 3-star MLB s on my team and they all have above 83 speed, above 80 STR, and above 80 TAK as freshman, just as good as my five stars I have had at that same position in previous years. I had a 3 star QB come in at 80 overall with 85 speed, that simply did not happen last year. I have seen many players with sub 4 40 times and other high rated attributes still not be rated 5 stars.

You guys are welcome to believe in Puff the Magic Dragon, MR. Sandman, or Santa Clause, heck if it makes ya happy more power to ya. But the fact remains that the games sim engine is largely based of team ratings and team prestige. The variables in the sim logic make the game a paridy based larger NFL league and thats a fact. This is a horrendous programming error and a game killer for many, you can take the glass is half full approach but the water is still gray no matter how you slice it.

Last edited by stevedrumsdw; 08-25-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:43 PM   #15
Rookie

Merih's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedrumsdw
I have found this to not always be the case. I have 3 3-star MLB s on my team and they all have above 83 speed, above 80 STR, and above 80 TAK, just as good as my five stars I have had at that same position in previous years. I had a 3 star QB come in at 80 overall with 85 speed, that simply did not happen last year.
Of course there are outliers every now and then with progression, my guess is those three stars had high potential ratings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedrumsdw
You guys are welcome to believe in Puff the Magic Dragon, MR. Sandman, or Santa Clause, heck if it makes ya happy more power to ya. But the fact remains that the games sim engine is largely based of team ratings and team prestige. The variables in the sim logic make the game a paridy based larger NFL league and thats a fact. This is a horrendous programming error and a game killer for many, you can take the glass is half full approach but the water is still gray no matter how you slice it.
Yes, the sim engine is screwed, I know this. But if 10 years down the line 1 Boise State wins the title and 9 Oklahoma's, Ohio States, USC, etc etc win it I'm happy. From what I understand the problem tapers off a bit after that many season. There are still an exorbitant number of high rated players, but not as bad as it was before. Believe me, once football season is done I won't pick up the game again.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2009, 04:47 PM   #16
Banned

stevedrumsdw's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Of course there are outliers every now and then with progression, my guess is those three stars had high potential ratings.

Yes, the sim engine is screwed, I know this. But if 10 years down the line 1 Boise State wins the title and 9 Oklahoma's, Ohio States, USC, etc etc win it I'm happy. From what I understand the problem tapers off a bit after that many season. There are still an exorbitant number of high rated players, but not as bad as it was before. Believe me, once football season is done I won't pick up the game again.
I wish I could do what your doing, I am just so mad that there are new things broken with the game, why could'nt they just have left it alone. I would play 09 dynasty with 10's gameplay.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »