Home

Progression Explanation?

This is a discussion on Progression Explanation? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-27-2009, 12:46 AM   #57
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)
Re: Progression Explanation?

So let me get this straight. They intended to have 20+ 99 guys a year? And to allow teams to progress at an alarming rate? I cant see why when this has not happened in any other year.

If they wanna have this kinda progression than remove the 99 cap. But as is you cant tell me they meant to have 300+ player worthy of being a first round pick. Basically your saying the whole draft class could go in the first round. And 50 guys have first overall talent.

<--- Dont drink the Kool-Aid there's BS in it!!!!

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.

Last edited by da ThRONe; 08-27-2009 at 12:58 AM.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:53 AM   #58
Pro

TrevJo's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvandor
Fact 4: In spite of the proliferation of 90+ players in draft classes generated by NCAA 10, these supermen are very well mitigated by Madden on import, with many actually coming in rated no higher than 50's or 60's and few at 80 or above.

CONCLUSIONS:

2. EA KNEW about the problem LONG before we did, or how else could the Madden team have so efficiently accounted for this in their import code, ensuring all the Supermen actually came in like Clark Kents?

3. IF progression was fixed, imported draft classes on average would come in with much lower rated players, how would Maddden handle the new ratings drops? It couldn't, some would be importing high rated pre-patch classes others lower rated post-patch classes.

Practical problem, and why I think it did NOT get patched.
I don't have time to read through the whole thread, but if this was the issue, the solution is fairly simple... just adjust the players leaving up to supermen at export time.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:56 AM   #59
Pro

TrevJo's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayshime
Adam pretty clearly said progression couldn't be patched. You can keep petitioning, but your just wasting your time.
All right, I did decide to read the last page of the thread. I guess you can disregard my previous post, based on this.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:57 AM   #60
Rookie

mcpheje's Arena

OVR: 25

I will hesitantly put out there one point, not all 99's are created equal. Based on the numerous ratings that are included in the OVR calculation, it's possible to reach 99 in a multitude of ways. As a simplified example, a WR could have average Catch, very good Route Running, and be very fast and get to be a 99...OR he could have very high Catch, very high Route Running and have average speed but could still be a 99.

With the OVR being capped at 99, you'd have to dig into the details to see the difference between the 2 in the roster screens but on the field, they should play differently.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:50 AM   #61
Pro

ucas005's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CueDub
Adam I hope you consider this.

I think that recruits not qualifying and the discipline points both need to return. Also I believe that some recruits just need to be busts. Not every 5 and 4 star high school stud turns into a stud in college. This to me is the problem. All players progress. There should be players that regress and players that just don't pan out. I don't want it in an unlockable grade like someone being "F" in potential so that the user can figure out. I just want it to be random. Therefore the user can't just sign nothing but 5 and 4 stars and know that'll mean an A+ team.
I think this would be a great start to giving more life to dynasty mode. A mode which is slowly losing some of its luster. Imagine how much more depth would be added to dynasty with both a risk/reward discipline system and 5*/4* busts.

Say you take a chance on the super talented, blue chip linebacker with known off the field issues. Two years into his career of trying to groom him into a starter his ratings stall out and he's missing games. All of sudden you find yourself with a guy who will never be the 95 starter you imagined and is instead a 81 5* recruit after two seasons who is missing 5 games a season. Now you have a position that you once thought was deep in need of some serious recruiting the next year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2009, 10:20 AM   #62
Rookie

andy4theherd's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CueDub
Adam I hope you consider this.

I think that recruits not qualifying and the discipline points both need to return. Also I believe that some recruits just need to be busts. Not every 5 and 4 star high school stud turns into a stud in college. This to me is the problem. All players progress. There should be players that regress and players that just don't pan out. I don't want it in an unlockable grade like someone being "F" in potential so that the user can figure out. I just want it to be random. Therefore the user can't just sign nothing but 5 and 4 stars and know that'll mean an A+ team.

I also believe that there are some 99 players that are better than others and some A+ teans that are better than others.
x1000!!!

This would be huge! I can't even begin to count how many "great" recruits Marshall has had over the last 10 years that either left the team, sat the bench, or turned out to just be "average". This happens at every school in the country. We all get pumped over rivals and scout.com rankings and then in two years the kid is not even on the roster...
Old 08-27-2009, 10:27 AM   #63
Banned

mvandor's Arena

A part of what works well in Madden is player regression and draft busts. It does make the game more challenging and realistic, and is something NCAA could take from the other team.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:30 AM   #64
Banned

mvandor's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpheje
I will hesitantly put out there one point, not all 99's are created equal. Based on the numerous ratings that are included in the OVR calculation, it's possible to reach 99 in a multitude of ways. As a simplified example, a WR could have average Catch, very good Route Running, and be very fast and get to be a 99...OR he could have very high Catch, very high Route Running and have average speed but could still be a 99.

With the OVR being capped at 99, you'd have to dig into the details to see the difference between the 2 in the roster screens but on the field, they should play differently.

This is true, however the sim engine doesn't appear to be that sophisticated and the problem created in dynasty is more than just numerical ratings inflation, it's losing the top, mid, lower school tiering system or a virtual compression of same.

It is just not a reflection of the real world NCAA to see so many ranked mid or small programs 4, 5, 6 years into dynasty.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »