Home

NCAA10 = The best of this GEN

This is a discussion on NCAA10 = The best of this GEN within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-26-2009, 12:14 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 5
Re: NCAA10 = The best of this GEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roggie
It's the fact that you're telling people who have been around this board for 5 years or more how to act. You're posting threads asking for responses, then insulting every person who responds. This is a forum for mature conversation about sports games, and you're just mass insulting everyone like we're at the Xbox forums. That's why people have a short leash for you already.
Wow you guys really take this that seriously huh? I dont care how long you've been on a board... someone with a million posts and has only played the game the last few years means nothing to me.

I'm just saying that this is the best NCAA in a very long time yet people are calling for the heads of the dev team. Literally people have been putting it out there that they should lose their jobs. I'm trying to help people understand that every year is a building block and you really can't compare this gen to last gen b/c you have to start with a fresh base and build upon it. You can't have everything right away and nothing is ever perfect. Be happy the game has gotten better every year and remember that it was the 4th ncaa on ps2 that was truly great.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:22 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrierwv75
I'm just saying that this is the best NCAA in a very long time yet people are calling for the heads of the dev team. Literally people have been putting it out there that they should lose their jobs.
I definitely feel that these people should be unassigned to the task of developing NCAA. I haven't seen anything they've produced that makes me think they "get" their audience or the sport they are trying to portray. Two bad things when you're producing a sport game.

You mention these "building blocks" but all I see are random gimmicks being thrown in, year after year. I see them breaking features that worked in the past. I see them adding things no one asked for. There are a few gameplay tweaks, but nothing that actually is taking a stride.

Tell me - what building block was run commit? What building block was season showdown? What building block was game strategy? What building block was jump the snap? What building block was mascot games? What building block was a half-implemented band formation?

Maybe I'm not seeing their grand development plan - but from an outsider looking in - it sure looks like they are winging it.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:30 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama83
I definitely feel that these people should be unassigned to the task of developing NCAA. I haven't seen anything they've produced that makes me think they "get" their audience or the sport they are trying to portray. Two bad things when you're producing a sport game.

You mention these "building blocks" but all I see are random gimmicks being thrown in, year after year. I see them breaking features that worked in the past. I see them adding things no one asked for. There are a few gameplay tweaks, but nothing that actually is taking a stride.

Tell me - what building block was run commit? What building block was season showdown? What building block was game strategy? What building block was jump the snap? What building block was mascot games? What building block was a half-implemented band formation?

Maybe I'm not seeing their grand development plan - but from an outsider looking in - it sure looks like they are winging it.

I think run commit is a great tool but was just over done. If you are less predictable and run to the boundary or weak side of you formation you can catch people slipping and hit a homerun. In real football if you are predictable people will play the play. They just over cooked it. What building block was game strategy? Seriously? Do you not think coaches will tell their players to be aggressive and go for turnovers? Sometimes it works, sometimes you get hurt for it. I think the strategy is an awesome addition. They just need to tweak it a little. Mascot games are for kids and the dev's said themselves that it takes up nearly no disc space and is very little work to create. Players never jump the snap? Vary you snap count man. The band thing could have been better but i think it's unrealistic to think they could do all 120 schools bands. So maybe they should have left it out so people can whine about the atmosphere more.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:52 PM   #20
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy7679
I'm also enjoying NCAA10. But It's fine to complain about the things you don't like about the product. That's how things get better. We need the crybabies and complainers. The more pissing and moaning they do the better as far as I'm concerned, as long as they aren't complaining about aspects of the game that EA has gotten right. So far, they seem to be complaining about the right things.
Great post.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:04 PM   #21
Banned

peteykirch's Arena

OVR: 19

It doesn't take much for this edition to be the best of Next Gen, since every other game has been trash.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2009, 01:06 PM   #22
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteykirch
It doesn't take much for this edition to be the best of Next Gen, since every other game has been trash.
Child please!! NCAA 09 was not trash.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:25 PM   #23
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrierwv75
I think run commit is a great tool but was just over done. If you are less predictable and run to the boundary or weak side of you formation you can catch people slipping and hit a homerun.
It's not a matter of being predictable.

Quote:
In real football if you are predictable people will play the play.
Perhaps you didn't notice but Alabama did a pretty good job last year running it directly at teams. They knew it was coming. They even knew the side it was most likely coming to. You know how successful they were at stopping it? Not very.

Alabama, along with all good running teams, function on imposing their will on the defense.

Run commits ruin the concept of execution. Knowing it's coming is completely different than stopping it.

Quote:
What building block was game strategy? Seriously? Do you not think coaches will tell their players to be aggressive and go for turnovers?
In all my years of playing football, I never heard a coach say:
"Go for the strip, even if it means facemask the guy to the ground."

On defense, the goal is always to get the ball back. Individual players tend to make individual decisions. But, usually, no -- there is no global call from the coach to abandon fundamental football and go for turnovers.

Quote:
Sometimes it works, sometimes you get hurt for it. I think the strategy is an awesome addition. They just need to tweak it a little.
The penalties and downsides of being aggressive are not outweighed by being conservative. I get nothing for being conservative.

The risk reward is WAY out of whack here.

Plus, it's not strategy. It's hilarious that I get strategy points for causing a fumble by being aggressive, but I don't get them by avoiding them by being conservative.

Basically, even in the way they set up Season Showdown shows how they imagined the impact of the "strategy". You get points for being aggressive ... not for being strategic.

Quote:
Mascot games are for kids and the dev's said themselves that it takes up nearly no disc space and is very little work to create.
The devs also have said they've run out of space on a DVD. I don't believe them for the most part.

Besides, kids are not the primary audience of NCAA. I'll wager there are more kids under the age of 10 playing Madden than there are playing NCAA.

Quote:
Players never jump the snap? Vary you snap count man.
Oh, really? Thanks for informing me about this one, Captain Obvious. All this time, I just thought I was being "strategic" by putting myself in a 5 yard hole 4-8 times a game by false starting (and never once getting the defense to jump).

Thanks for this. Really. It's opened up a whole new door of gaming for me.

Where's the downside to this setting? If I'm getting more false starts than they are getting encrouchments ... AND they still jump the snap regardless ... where's the downside?

It's a cheesy feature loved and lauded by cheesy players.

Quote:
The band thing could have been better but i think it's unrealistic to think they could do all 120 schools bands.
120, sure. The top 25? Not so much.

Quote:
So maybe they should have left it out so people can whine about the atmosphere more.
You think that the band, even if they had every school in the game, would count one iota towards atmosphere? If you do, then you just don't get it at all.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:07 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 37

Yeah, it's the best of this gen but that really doesn't say too much. I mean, a 1979 Plymouth is probably better than Dodge Dart. In the end who cares??? Not a lot of people discuss how an above average item is the best amongst all these other above average items.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »