Home

Why do you think every single person chooses to kick the ball off in the first half?

This is a discussion on Why do you think every single person chooses to kick the ball off in the first half? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-26-2009, 01:10 PM   #9
Pro

WolverinesFinest's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Why do you think every single person chooses to kick the ball off in the first ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorhay53
Just so people don't get confused, I think you mean 'defer'. I was like 'they choose to differ?'
yeah I didnt notice that error ha
Old 08-26-2009, 01:49 PM   #10
Rookie

andy4theherd's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Why do you think every single person chooses to kick the ball off in the first ha

it depends. if i am the visitor i sometimes take the ball so i can take the crowd out early. if i think it my be a close game, i'll kick. when the game is 0-0, everybody plays a certain way (ie. testing the defense, running a lot, ect). if i'm down a couple scores after the half, i can take the ball and go into a hurry-up pass happy gameplan.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:22 PM   #11
Rookie

Vaporub83's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverinesFinest
Teams in real life choose to defer often. Which lets the opponent choose for the first and in the second they can choose either but of course they choose to receive. In the ncaa games it's stupid to receive first because if you don't score on the first drive your in a hole because the opponent gets it at half.
When the team that won the toss defers they make their choice in the 2nd half. If the other team messes up and chooses to kick to begin the game the team that defer will get to receive in the first half and 2nd half. I've seen it happen a couple of times. I've even heard of a coach doing it intentionally.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2009, 03:14 PM   #12
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21

The NFL just started to allow deferring last year I believe. That's why teams always received for years, but last year a lot of teams took the ball in the 2nd half. NCAA has always had deferring.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:00 PM   #13
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ovr
Just saying that I've never encountered someone who chose to receive the ball first at the coin toss, when in real life it's the exact opposite...never seen a team choose to kick the ball off first.

Any ideas on why this is?
Most college teams defer to the second half. When I play this game I always receive first. I would rather play from ahead than behind.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:52 PM   #14
MVP

TN - BRAVES FAN's Arena

OVR: 17

The game dosen't let us TRULY defer does it, and have our pick 2nd half? If you pick defend a goal instead of kick or revieve, it gives the other team the choice. If they choose to kick then they get the ball 2nd half. So we do not actully get to pick 2nd half like in real life, correct?
Old 08-26-2009, 10:05 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 3

Correct this is not truely deferring. I have wanted EA to add defer for a long time. BTW I always choose to KO for the mentioned reasons, but I would rather have the option to defer so I could choose which way to defend depending on the wind.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2009, 10:40 PM   #16
MVP

gator3guy's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverinesFinest
Teams in real life choose to defer often. Which lets the opponent choose for the first and in the second they can choose either but of course they choose to receive. In the ncaa games it's stupid to receive first because if you don't score on the first drive your in a hole because the opponent gets it at half.
See I'm the opposite. I want the ball first because if I score that first touchdown I'm feeling good about my chances of winning and I'm not playing from behind. If you kick off and give up a td it feels like your always playing from behind. It's all a matter of opinion really. Each team gets an equal opportunity so it really doesnt matter. Plus if your good you wanna receive so if your opponent conceads at the half you got the extra possession

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »