Home

NCAA Commentary

This is a discussion on NCAA Commentary within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Grade the NCAA Commentary
A - As good as any game out there 9 19.15%
B - Good but some games do it better. 15 31.91%
C - Mediocre to subpar. 15 31.91%
D - Lousy. Most sports games do a better job. 8 17.02%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-26-2009, 03:19 PM   #1
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
NCAA Commentary

I’ve read many people say they are tired of Nessler, Corso and Herbstreit – probably more the latter two. I’ve been playing NCAA 09 (roughly 140 games played) and I still enjoy listening to these guys even after years of hearing them.

I think Nessler does a great job and if you really pay attention, he has a lot of variety. Even the way he introduces Corso and Herbstreit changes from game to game (partners in crime vs. a regular intro). They are aware of ratings as Nessler will talk about how dangerous a kick returner is along with a true freshman if he makes a play. I swear I hear stuff that I don’t remember. Nessler is really into the game much like a real broadcast. My only complaint is the lack of announcing real names at times. Too often I hear class or position (senior or running back). I can’t comment on how much it has changed in NCAA 10.

Corso and Herbstreit can get repetitive but I do think the commentary is correct when given. They don’t usually say something that I think is dumb. I still laugh at some of Corso’s lines. Plus the commentary is pretty seamless with no obvious hiccups.

Overall all I’d have to say the commentary is great imo. I’d like to see people vote on how they feel about the announcing in NCAA football.

A = As good as any sports game ever made (doesn’t mean it has to be perfect).
B = Good but a bunch of games do it better.
C = Passable but nothing special really.
D = Lousy. One of the worst announcing crews currently in sports video games.

Last edited by rudyjuly2; 08-26-2009 at 09:26 PM. Reason: fixed emoticons that showed up
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2009, 03:25 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 39
Re: NCAA Commentary

C

Its ok, but hearing them speak over each other, dropping cheesy lines, or things that have nothing to do with the game action have become old. I believe reserving Corso & Herbs for games of the week or rivalries would better suite them in the video game. I still am going to push the idea of bringing in Chris Fowler, Rece Davis, or Ron Franklin.

Last edited by sportzbro; 08-26-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:27 PM   #3
Rookie

Merih's Arena

OVR: 3

I'd give them a "C".

I think that they should hire random voice actors for regional and non-broadcasted games, and then have Nessler and crew for the big national games. There's no reason to hear Herbie when I'm playing FCS East.

Just more variety would help a lot from things getting mundane. I can oftentimes predict what they are going to say before they say it.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:28 PM   #4
Guns Up!

Solidice's Arena

OVR: 63

they add/take out lines every year. some people expect a total rewrite every year i suppose, which I doubt will never happen with the current crew(Corso, Kirk, Brad). EA can only have them in studio for a limited amount of time each year.

Corso's lines seems to be the more annoying ones to me. even the new ones sound too much like the olds one that's been there forever.

at least I haven't heard the Beep, beep, beep line in NCAA 10.

not really sure how to rate them, as I don't really play that many other sports games to compare. I will say I prefer the NCAA crew over the Madden crew.

Current Main Rotation: Destiny 2 (XB,PC), Division 2(XB) Baldur Gate 3(XB 4p Co-op run) HellDivers 2 (PC)
Games on the list to play: Too many to fit here
Old 08-26-2009, 03:28 PM   #5
Working for the weekend

Herky's Arena

OVR: 32

The past few years I've stuck to music or XM radio when I play NCAA and Madden. The commentary is stale, repetitive, and boring.

Iowa Hawkeyes
Northern Iowa Panthers
Minnesota Vikings
Chicago Cubs
Minnesota Twins
Boston Celtics
Minnesota Timberwolves
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2009, 03:29 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merih
I think that they should hire random voice actors for regional and non-broadcasted games, and then have Nessler and crew for the big national games.
I would love this, but I wonder how much more commentary they can fit into the game?
Old 08-26-2009, 03:57 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 8

Considering I haven't really heard anything new in years - I'm going to say among the worst.

When they don't use *ANY* additional ESPN intergration other than these guys ... I don't see the point in paying them extra bucks when a voice actor or college radio announcer would be cheaper, have more time AND provide better commentary.

This game severely lags here.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:59 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORN4CORN
I would love this, but I wonder how much more commentary they can fit into the game?
With compression routines what they currently are - I'd have to imagine a whole ton of commentary.

Considering 74 minutes can fit on a CD uncompressed ... if you brought the commentary down to a 256kbs mp4 ... you'd get a ton of stuff on there.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »