Home

Idea for new editable Player Attribute in NCAA 11 (NFL/Pro Potential)

This is a discussion on Idea for new editable Player Attribute in NCAA 11 (NFL/Pro Potential) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-28-2009, 03:00 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: Idea for new editable Player Attribute in NCAA 11 (NFL/Pro Potential)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
its an interesting idea but would you really trust EA to decide which college players have the best pro potential? Especially with the younger guys who you wouldnt really know how good their pro potential is until they get on the field maybe when they get older. Plus guys like Mel Kiper and Todd McShay are wrong sometimes about guy's pro potential. Theres no exact science to it so i dont see how EA would be able to really get the pro potential right for so many guys. Then people would bitch and moan about that.

Well that's why I said it should be an editable slider. That way we won't have to leave it up to them to determine who has pro potential or not. I am not talking about a Potential Rating like Madden has. I am talking about an actual potential attribute that you can edit like you do speed, awareness, etc.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:36 PM   #18
Banned

stevedrumsdw's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYMO76
Linking the potential to Madden... doesn't really matter to me. However, the word EDITABLE is the real issue. We need to be given the power to FULLY EDIT ALL PLAYERS. This would allow us to change fatigue and progression to what we see as acceptable.
Full editing options would solve everybodies problems, don't like something, change it.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:02 PM   #19
I Drink Like A Champion!!

yankeesgiants's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama83
This logic does not make any sense when you think about it. Speed is supposed to represent player's top end speed.

4.38 speed is 4.38 speed - Any level, any time, any where. If I run a 4.48 in college, I'll run a 4.48 in the pros.

So, the problem isn't the 0-99 rating being 1-to-1 across NFL/NCAA. It's that they should quit creating a glut of speed at the top end and forcing all players to this top end to compete. Create a larger distribution with much lower end speeds per positon actually existing.

Straight speed is straight speed. What EA has always neglected is FOOTBALL speed, which is an aspect of awareness, stopping ability, cutting ability, quickness, first step and agility. Football speed is not just 40-speed.

Thus, in an example of Peter Warrick. His speed didn't diminish when he went to the pros. His speed relative to his peers did and his ability to stop and start compared to those around him was less than that in college. You've got to look at the average of the league. The distribution of speed at WR in college is probably something like 4.62 to 4.35 (with a heavier weighting towards the back end). The pro distribution is probably 4.48 to 4.35. So, Peter Warrick might have been a 4.42 receiver in college, which was on the faster end of speed, but in the pros he's on the lower end of the distribution scale. His speed didn't decrease ... his competition increased.

There's no excuse to drop top end speed. This never changed.
40 times are overrated and arent a true reflection of speed for various reasons. It's timed at 40 yards because that's the distance a average punt travels and it stays in the air approximately 4.5 seconds. Here is a interview with longtime personnel guy Gil Brandt who helped usher in the 40 yard era we see today.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...ory-behind-it/

Last edited by yankeesgiants; 08-28-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:49 PM   #20
Pro

OVR: 50

You're trying to give EA more editing power???!!!!....... Woah... did I just have a nightmare?
Please Unban me!!!!!!! I promise I won't troll anymore!!!!!!
Football Highlights
Football Pictures
Old 08-28-2009, 10:09 PM   #21
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesgiants
The speed is reduced because a really fast guy in college is not necessarly a really fast guy in the pros. Peter Warrick, Calvin Johnson, Braylon Edwards and Roy Williams ran past everybody in college. Has that speed translated to the pros? nope. Because they are fast guys in a league of fast guys. They no longer get the same seperation they did in college so the speed rating is reduced to reflect that.

I'm assuming you've never watched a Lions game my friend.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2009, 12:16 AM   #22
I Drink Like A Champion!!

yankeesgiants's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott812313
I'm assuming you've never watched a Lions game my friend.
CJ gets seperation but not get near as much as he did in college due to playing against men instead of boys. In college, the best player on the field in the pros one of the best players on the field.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:28 AM   #23
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesgiants
CJ gets seperation but not get near as much as he did in college due to playing against men instead of boys. In college, the best player on the field in the pros one of the best players on the field.
exactly, i use this same logic when i try to explain why i am successful at gambling on college football but not the NFL. In college, you can see the difference in talent from team to team even player to player. But in the NFL, every player was a star on their team in college (for the most part) and if you're playing in the NFL, you're good. So a guy can burn everyone in college because the guys he is playing against isnt as talented and isnt an NFL caliber player but in the NFL.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:57 AM   #24
MVP

OVR: 20

The developers already said there is no way they could do this and they dont have any control of a pro potential like thing from ncaa to madden.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »