Home

My fix for progression. Opinions?

This is a discussion on My fix for progression. Opinions? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-29-2009, 06:22 PM   #17
Rookie

jts20's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: My fix for progression. Opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstl
Sean Weatherspoon, Missouri, is another two star gem who will play on Sundays.

I was reading this forum trying to decide whether to buy this game or not. My problem with previous versions was no matter what team you started with (I took Iowa State just for a challenge) recruiting studs was too easy and within a couple of years you could dominate.

It looks like they changed recruiting but player progression turns the team into an all star team in a couple of years. Is that about right?
Recruits come in rated higher then ever before too... 3* star recruits are commonly rated 70<
Old 08-29-2009, 06:28 PM   #18
Rookie

jts20's Arena

And you guys get what I mean about finding the gems. I mean the example I used in the OP about Chad Greenway. He is THE example of this. He was literally unknown to anyone. This guy was like a zero star recruit lol. He played at a high school so small it wasn't even a full game, the division was 7 on 7 football. He wasn't recruited by ANY other division one school. And when I say division one I include 1-AA (FCS). This guy was a literal nobody who Iowa turned into an all-american first round draft pick who is starting in the NFL. If player developement was a rating based on coaching in the game Iowa would be an A+. I'm a Gator fan that lives in Iowa and love to hate the Hawks since there's so many fans around me but even I have to give Ferentz credit as being in the top 10 for coaches in the country.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:57 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 2

Great post. agree 100%. I know EA ain't going to do smack about it, but we shouldn't stop until they give us a satisfactory response. None of that "pretend that nothing is wrong" BS.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:52 PM   #20
Rookie

jts20's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoJackson
Great post. agree 100%. I know EA ain't going to do smack about it, but we shouldn't stop until they give us a satisfactory response. None of that "pretend that nothing is wrong" BS.
Exactly. We atleast deserve a "yeah, we f***ed up". Not a bunch of denial from the devs.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:13 AM   #21
Rookie

jts20's Arena

Bump. If you read this Adam Thompson I want your opinion on my progression model. Is this something you guys would be atleast willing to discuss? I like my idea for recruiting and progression just want to see what you think.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2009, 02:36 AM   #22
Pro

OVR: 11

haha i'm glad i started reading this thread before it got to be like 10 pages long because everything seems pretty well-written...

my thoughts on progression have been all over the place, i have tried to convince myself that as long as ALL teams advance at the same rate then the game will play fine and sim fine and i can enjoy several years of dynasty... yet knowing the issue is there has definitely kind of pushed me away from this game for a couple weeks (playing madden and ufc)

here's what i thought when reading this... if we could get confirmation from a dev on whether progression is "tied to" a school rating (program prestige, coaching experience, program stability, athletic facilities, heck even a combination thereof)...i would GLADLY buy the 120 teambuilder slots, replace every team in a dynasty with re-rated schools (assuming you can do this with 120 schools, i don't even know if you can), and dive in to my dynasty as happy as Tim Tebow looking out into the Charleston Southern defense... meanwhile i am still trying to stick with my 1* cupcake dynasty because there are so many good things about this game, but if the dev team REALLY wanted to appease the hardcore fan base here on this progression issue, don't you think they could at least do this??? (knowing that there won't be another patch)
Old 08-30-2009, 03:07 AM   #23
Uber Blazer/Beaver Fan

blazer003's Arena

OVR: 10

The problem I have with the OP system is that it doesn't take into account teams like Oregon State. As mentioned above, James Rogers came in as a 2 star and is now a respected top threat in the Pac-10. However, this is the norm at OSU. I read this article recently which told Beaver fans what we already knew. It talks about how 7 players from Oregon State were drafted last year, 2nd highest of any NCAA team.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...n=ncaaf,184458

Each of those players was relatively unrecruited, and yet OSU consistently looks for those diamonds in the rough that transfer into All Pac-10 talent.

Unlike the OP's idea, I think there should be a lot less assurance that a 5 star is going to pan out, and a lot more random 2 star, 1 star, no star players that make a huge jump at some point in there careers.

I would do this:

First of all, have incoming freshmen go through progression too.
Second, a lot more random jumps and falls (yes, players getting worse, mainly in awareness and whatnot) so a 2 or 3 star could randomly shoot up.

5 star - Usually has the physical attributes, like speed and what not, but can regress before the first year in various categories. Awareness. Catching (receivers). Accuracy (QBs). And make all of them mean something. Make it dangerous to start a receiver with only high speed, because he drops the ball a ton. Or is not able to get separation.

4 star - Even less sure. Again, usually having the tools, but may come in with a lot lower rating than expected, some might be studs. Some will wallow and slowly drop in rating throughout their 4 years.

3 star - Some guys that have the tools, but low awareness and whatnot (scouted) but some come in and have those rating shoot up (not many) some go way down (as if there confidence gets crushed) but most just be mediocre their first couple years, with a few making big jumps here and there. Have some guys that don't have the tools, but high intangibles and get better at the tools (not great) to make them respectable players.

2 star & 1 star - Still a few that surprise out of no where. A few here and there with good tools and terrible scouted intangibles but come in and are better than advertised.

Which brings me to another feature: Scouting. Not too in depth. I don't want to spend too much time on this, have a good automatic option that does a pretty good job of scouting on it's own, but that way you get a star ranking and some idea of their rating, but could be a ways off.

Finally, each school have a rating on how they develop talent and have the teams that have a very high rating get just a few more of those diamonds in the rough that jump up. Say the average percentage of 3 stars that make a jump is 2%, well for a great developing team (like an Oregon Sate) maybe 5% make a big jump.

Of course I also think we need dynamic ratings that change during the season. A lot of good ideas here, if EA would only decide to actually put some effort into improving the game.

Maybe it's not fair to lambast the EA devs like this because I've never worked on a game project of this magnitude (though I have worked on smaller games) but the proof is in the pudding. Some slight gameplay advancements and an interesting new feature don't cut it for me.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:31 AM   #24
Rookie

jts20's Arena

Actually i do have an idea for the diamond in the rough type players. Re-read the part on progression: Have some 1 and 2* players be standouts that get better alot faster and are 85-95 overall studs by their senior year.

I like your ideas though. My model is just a basic outline, of course some 3 star players will end up being like 75 overall right away, some 5 stars will be over-hyped 58 overall players, etc. I was just giving a basic outline.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »