Home

Clock issues

This is a discussion on Clock issues within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-15-2009, 12:04 PM   #1
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)
Clock issues

Why does the play clock accelerate but not the time clock? I kneel on the ball with less time on the game clock then the play clock. But when I go to the play calling screen I have less time on the play then the game clock. How the hell does that happen?

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2009, 12:37 PM   #2
stewaat

OVR:
Re: Clock issues

There's that magical :35 to :25 jump in time that happens.

My guess is so people can't sit on the ball 40 seconds, only like 30. TOP is messed up in this game.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:55 PM   #3
Rookie

mcpheje's Arena

OVR: 25

This bugs the heck out of me. For some reason after the play ends the play clock starts counting down from 35 and the game clock moves along with it (assuming it's supposed to be moving), but when you get to the play calling screen it immediately jumps to 25 seconds and the game clock just continues counting down from where it was.

What they need to do is just follow the real time rules for college football: 40 second play clock from the end of the previous play or 25 seconds after the ball is declared ready for play after certain administrative stoppages and game delays. Then continue to allow the time to evaporate, but just also have the game clock time evaporate as well but make it 15 seconds off the 40 only.

If that additional evaporating 15 seconds was also taken off the game clock, we would actually be able to use 15 min qtrs without extending the real time it takes to play a game and still end up with realistic # of plays run and as a bonus finally have realistic time of possession stats.

With an average of 100-150 plays/game, that 15 seconds/play (when the clock should be running) would eat up anywhere from 20 to 35 minutes or so of the game clock. That would leave us with playable time in the range of 25 to 40 minutes or roughly the equivalent of 7 to 11 minute quarters. IRL the teams that actually run a large number of plays snap the ball relatively quickly so it'd be more accurately comparable to 7 or 8 min quarters, which appears to be what most of us run with.

Last edited by mcpheje; 09-15-2009 at 12:58 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:06 PM   #4
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpheje
This bugs the heck out of me. For some reason after the play ends the play clock starts counting down from 35 and the game clock moves along with it (assuming it's supposed to be moving), but when you get to the play calling screen it immediately jumps to 25 seconds and the game clock just continues counting down from where it was.

What they need to do is just follow the real time rules for college football: 40 second play clock from the end of the previous play or 25 seconds after the ball is declared ready for play after certain administrative stoppages and game delays. Then continue to allow the time to evaporate, but just also have the game clock time evaporate as well but make it 15 seconds off the 40 only.

If that additional evaporating 15 seconds was also taken off the game clock, we would actually be able to use 15 min qtrs without extending the real time it takes to play a game and still end up with realistic # of plays run and as a bonus finally have realistic time of possession stats.

With an average of 100-150 plays/game, that 15 seconds/play (when the clock should be running) would eat up anywhere from 20 to 35 minutes or so of the game clock. That would leave us with playable time in the range of 25 to 40 minutes or roughly the equivalent of 7 to 11 minute quarters. IRL the teams that actually run a large number of plays snap the ball relatively quickly so it'd be more accurately comparable to 7 or 8 min quarters, which appears to be what most of us run with.
Basically your asking for an accelerated clock!

Old 09-15-2009, 01:13 PM   #5
Guns Up!

Solidice's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
which is badly needed since the CPU QB snaps the ball as soon as he gets to the line.

it seems the time between :40 and :25 is dedicated to the cutscenes. if you watch the cutscenes, it'll usually last until the play clock hits :25, but it'll always reset to :25 again once the playcall screen comes up.

Current Main Rotation: Destiny 2 (XB,PC), Division 2(XB) Baldur Gate 3(XB 4p Co-op run) HellDivers 2 (PC)
Games on the list to play: Too many to fit here
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2009, 03:44 PM   #6
Rookie

mcpheje's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
True, but a smarter implementation of it. College football has 15 min qtrs. Why should the game be any different? If most of us tried to play with 15 min qtrs in any of the NCAA games, we'd end up with outrageous scores, unrealistic # of plays run, and probably a whole host of other problems due to limitations within the game that I won't even try to enumerate. The balance needs to come in allowing for the game to be played under the correct rules but not thru forcing us to sit thru the appropriate amount of time in between plays. Hence a properly implemented accelerated clock. I think they took a nice step this year with what they did, but the CPU only uses at the end. It should be always on by default and have the option to turn it off if you're running a hurry up type of offense.

In reply to the cutscenes, unless I've just gotten so used to skipping by cutscenes when they start (which is completely possible) I don't see them taking up the whole time.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:50 PM   #7
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

Quote:
True, but a smarter implementation of it. College football has 15 min qtrs. Why should the game be any different? If most of us tried to play with 15 min qtrs in any of the NCAA games, we'd end up with outrageous scores, unrealistic # of plays run, and probably a whole host of other problems due to limitations within the game that I won't even try to enumerate. The balance needs to come in allowing for the game to be played under the correct rules but not thru forcing us to sit thru the appropriate amount of time in between plays. Hence a properly implemented accelerated clock. I think they took a nice step this year with what they did, but the CPU only uses at the end. It should be always on by default and have the option to turn it off if you're running a hurry up type of offense.

In reply to the cutscenes, unless I've just gotten so used to skipping by cutscenes when they start (which is completely possible) I don't see them taking up the whole time.
I agree wholeheartedly!

Old 09-15-2009, 04:00 PM   #8
Guns Up!

Solidice's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
most of them take up around 15 seconds if you let them play out, which i doubt most people do. I doubt that is the reason for the play clock to skip down to :25 every time though. more than likely they added the ability for the play clock to start at :40 at the end of the play, but the game is still coded to start the play clock at :25 when ever the playcall screen comes up as that part wasn't changed for whatever reason. some cutscenes are longer than 15 second and in those cases the play clock could be at 20 or so when the playcall screen appears, but the play clock will still reset to :25.

Current Main Rotation: Destiny 2 (XB,PC), Division 2(XB) Baldur Gate 3(XB 4p Co-op run) HellDivers 2 (PC)
Games on the list to play: Too many to fit here

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »