Home

I knew poll logic was bad, I didn't know it was this bad.

This is a discussion on I knew poll logic was bad, I didn't know it was this bad. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-13-2009, 06:19 PM   #9
Guns Up!

Solidice's Arena

OVR: 63
Re: I knew poll logic was bad, I didn't know it was this bad.

I've been pretty lucky in my offline dynasty so far. haven't seen any bad match-ups for the NC yet.

after 6 seasons, the NC games have been.

2009 - Texas 14-0 over Florida 13-1
2010 - Oklahoma 13-1 over Virginia Tech 13-1
2011 - Texas 13-1 over USC 12-1
2012 - Ohio State 12-1 over USC 11-2
2013 - Oklahoma 14-0 over Florida State 13-1
2014 - Florida State 14-0 over USC 12-1
current season 2015 - no undefeated teams after 9 weeks. Miami and Ohio State are currently #1/2, Boise State at # 6 though.

the Bowl selection is off though, I've seen some 5-7 teams get in, even though there were teams that were 6-6 or better that did not get a bowl. I've seen some cases where teams are ranked higher than someone they lost to with the same record, but that happens in real life too. there was one season Utah was 11-0 and were ranked #1, but they lost to TCU in the last game of the season.

there was one season where Boise State went to a BCS Bowl, and I did as well(I'm MTSU and I was in the C-USA at the time), so that was off, Don't think 2 non-BCS teams can go to a BCS bowl in the same season. Plus I had 3 losses, I did beat 3 top 25 teams, and my loses were all to top 25 teams, but still. A C-USA team with 3 loses should not get a BCS bowl game. I guess beating #3 Michigan late in the season was enough for the computers and voters and BCS Bowl selection committee.

right now in Season 7, Navy is ranked 17th(at 7-1), but they have a brutal schedule(8 top 25 teams!) if they run the table they deserve to play in the NC.

Current Main Rotation: Destiny 2 (XB,PC), Division 2(XB) Baldur Gate 3(XB 4p Co-op run) HellDivers 2 (PC)
Games on the list to play: Too many to fit here

Last edited by Solidice; 10-13-2009 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:16 PM   #10
Banned

peteykirch's Arena

OVR: 19

You know, part of me wonders if the computer is smart enough to realize if you schedule 2 1AA teams, only one win counts, and that is why 5-7 teams are getting in.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:25 PM   #11
Banned

dopeboy206's Arena

OVR: 18

I started the season with the Miami Hurricanes unranked. Beat #17 Florida State my opener in Tallahassee. Week 2 I beat #20 Iowa in Miami. Then beat #13 Georgia Tech week 3 @ my home again. Week 4 went on the road to Virgina Tech who is #5 and beat them 28-3. Week 5 I beat #2 Oklahoma in Norman 48-38.

I customized my schedule (added Iowa). I beat 5 top 25 teams and 2 top 10 teams on the road and I am ranked #11. I should be top 5. I am playing on All-American. In the media polls I am rank #3. The coaches have me at #11. How can they be so far off from each other.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-13-2009, 10:40 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 1

Just finished my first season with a created team in C-USA. Knocked off three top 25 teams but got blasted by a Houston team that finished 9-3 and ended up winning C-USA (only one conference loss, like me, held tiebreaker...sucks) and ended up ranked #16 to finish the year.

BCS title game is Oklahoma vs Texas. Oklahoma ran the table and won the Big XII and Texas had its only loss to Oklahoma by 3 points. Every other game Texas played they won by at least 15.

People would bitch up a storm if a scenario like that actually happened but looking at the teams I think it was probably the fairest way to do it. Every SEC team had at least two losses and the #3 team was USF with one loss in a weaker conference.

It will be interesting when I sim the game and see what happens. Might even have to watch it for ****s and giggles.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:33 AM   #13
MVP

Jason_19's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue678
I am in year 2 of my dynasty and the national championship is a two loss Alabama team versus Ohio State. The problem is that that two loss Bama team got into the national championship over the one loss SEC champ Ole Miss who also beat Alabama. So essentially the team with less losses, who won the conference and the team that won head to head against Alabama got left out in favor of Bama. How exactly does that happen? The only thing I could think of was a difference in schedule strength so I took a look at the schedules of the two teams and they pretty much identical.
That is absurd.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:36 AM   #14
MVP

Jason_19's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopeboy206
I started the season with the Miami Hurricanes unranked. Beat #17 Florida State my opener in Tallahassee. Week 2 I beat #20 Iowa in Miami. Then beat #13 Georgia Tech week 3 @ my home again. Week 4 went on the road to Virgina Tech who is #5 and beat them 28-3. Week 5 I beat #2 Oklahoma in Norman 48-38.

I customized my schedule (added Iowa). I beat 5 top 25 teams and 2 top 10 teams on the road and I am ranked #11. I should be top 5. I am playing on All-American. In the media polls I am rank #3. The coaches have me at #11. How can they be so far off from each other.
Man, that's absurd, also.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:57 AM   #15
MVP

OVR: 13

according to the poll logic of this game florida could go undefeated this season and not make the NC game.

That's pretty much what happened in my OD, Ohio State users goes undefeated in our 2nd season and wins the NC, starts the 3rd season #1, goes undefeated again, ends up ranked #4 after conference championship games.

Yes, the 3 teams ahead of the Buckeyes were also undefeated, but his strength of schedule was more than legit and he beat down on every opponent like there was no tomorrow.

Go figure

Spoiler
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2009, 09:24 AM   #16
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

EA gives too much weight to pre-season rankings. It's bad in real life but can be really bad in this game (at least from past years). If you are unranked at the start of the year you have to move heaven and earth to crack the Top 5. That's probably why Ole Miss got screwed.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »