Home

Pass Defense...

This is a discussion on Pass Defense... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-30-2009, 10:39 AM   #9
MVP

mm boost's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Pass Defense...

It is crazy how all you guys are reporting the same thing, I am using playmaker's sliders with a few tweaks, and my defense plays lights out most the time, with some leaking here and there for some decently big plays. My db's go up over the receivers, deliver crushing tackles in the air to jar the ball lose, safety upending tight ends leaving their feet, linebackers covering the flats...I don't know why, but my game plays just like a game on tv does. I mix up my zones and blitzing alot...and the way I run my defense is, I look at what formation they are running, and that determines what I need to pick.

Example:

CPU calls a play and waiting on me to decide, I look at the bottom of the screen and if it says they are running 1 or 2 WR's, I will either call 4-3 or 5-2. If they have 3 WR's, I will call Nickel. If they have 4 or More, I use Dime 3-2-6. 1st down, I usually blitz. If I get a good loss, then I drop back in Coverage. If they get a good gain, then i do mostly cover 3 press or blitz. On 3rd and long, I use cover 3 or cover 1 fs robber press, etc. inside the goaline, I run the sam blitz defense man coverage, and then press my db's, spread out my linebackers, and pinch my d-line. And when I blitz on normal situations, I send my defensive line stunt the opposite direction of the blitz, to send confusion at the o-line.

My scheme works for both NCAA and Madden and I usually play pretty good, albeit I give up some big passing yards at times, but other times, I play lights out physical football. With the slider adjustments, I see some passes fly errant over receiver's heads, but then I see some pin point throughs and nice lob's and laser beams, so its just like real life.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:05 AM   #10
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm boost
It is crazy how all you guys are reporting the same thing, I am using playmaker's sliders with a few tweaks, and my defense plays lights out most the time, with some leaking here and there for some decently big plays. My db's go up over the receivers, deliver crushing tackles in the air to jar the ball lose, safety upending tight ends leaving their feet, linebackers covering the flats...I don't know why, but my game plays just like a game on tv does. I mix up my zones and blitzing alot...and the way I run my defense is, I look at what formation they are running, and that determines what I need to pick.

Example:

CPU calls a play and waiting on me to decide, I look at the bottom of the screen and if it says they are running 1 or 2 WR's, I will either call 4-3 or 5-2. If they have 3 WR's, I will call Nickel. If they have 4 or More, I use Dime 3-2-6. 1st down, I usually blitz. If I get a good loss, then I drop back in Coverage. If they get a good gain, then i do mostly cover 3 press or blitz. On 3rd and long, I use cover 3 or cover 1 fs robber press, etc. inside the goaline, I run the sam blitz defense man coverage, and then press my db's, spread out my linebackers, and pinch my d-line. And when I blitz on normal situations, I send my defensive line stunt the opposite direction of the blitz, to send confusion at the o-line.

My scheme works for both NCAA and Madden and I usually play pretty good, albeit I give up some big passing yards at times, but other times, I play lights out physical football. With the slider adjustments, I see some passes fly errant over receiver's heads, but then I see some pin point throughs and nice lob's and laser beams, so its just like real life.
If you play OD's it is hard to get people to agree on sliders.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:16 AM   #11
MVP

mm boost's Arena

OVR: 12

I never play OD, so that is probably why. I only play offline, on-line football gaming opens the door way to me getting really pissed off. People who don't play the game of football like it should be played, cheesing, exploiting glitches, etc. I like sim-type football, so I only play offline dynasties.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-30-2009, 12:44 PM   #12
Rookie

Raddy's Arena

OVR: 1

I originally posted this on another thread but it applies here.

I usually play as Georgia Tech so my run defense is pretty good and my pass defense is so-so, C- level. I set all the defensive options to aggressive (except for "Strip Ball" because facemask penalties suck). I'm too impatient to sift through the formations so I'll usually just go through the "Ask Corso" plays and find something with good zone coverage and lots of blitzing (but not too much). This strategy has worked pretty well against other players, but it takes some adjusting to get it right against the CPU because the computer is much more adept at using short passes and hot routes to counter the blitz.

Most of my defensive strategy is playing the pass because, honestly, that's most players' offensive strategy. If it's on off-balance formation (an I-formation with one tight-end, for example), I'll usually crash the D-line to the strong side to pick up the run but keep everything else normal.

If it's a 4-wide shotgun formation, I select "Play the Pass" strategy in addition to keying the RB to watch for the screen. With constant blitzing on fast QBs, you run the risk of giving up yards to the scramble, so if you're getting burned by that, select a defensive end and give him a "QB Spy" hot route. This will usually limit the QB to no more than two yards or on the run.

Another thing I see burning a lot of guys is setting a linebacker or someone in the secondary to manual control. I don't know about guys, but it's tough for me to do zone coverage manually and still keep it effective. I always play as a defensive lineman; it makes getting a sack more likely and also makes you more effective at picking up the run.

As for picking up the short pass, it's tough, but it can be done. The key is to watch who they are using as their hot route when you blitz. If they are throwing quick passes to the receivers, blitz your line backers and keep your corners on man coverage. If he's hitting the tight end or wingbacks, blitz the corners and put the linebackers on tight zone coverage.

The biggest key to good defense is to adapt. This can be done with the defensive strategies...if they're breaking a lot of tackles, set "Big Hits" to normal or "Strip Ball" to conservative. If you're getting beat deep, set "Zone Coverage" to normal or conservative. Just make small adjustments till it works. And for God's sake BLITZ!
Old 11-11-2009, 11:44 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 3

Man on first down, 2 WR's choose your base defense unless you KNOW they are passing then you choose the dime 3-2-6. Blitz on second down. and depeding on the 3rd down id play a zone or spy if its really long then play man. if its really short then blitz. In the middle play a cover 3 and surprise them from time to time with a blitz on 3rd and managable too

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »