Home

Will Ed Obannon and others ruin named rosters in the future

This is a discussion on Will Ed Obannon and others ruin named rosters in the future within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-10-2010, 07:40 PM   #17
Can U spare a dollar?

GHUGHES's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Will Ed Obannon and others ruin named rosters in the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by noplace
I think alot of people are missing th point. The NCAA are allowed to make millions selling player likeness with jerseys etc. Yet the student athlete cant even get a job. I couldnt even by my best friend a burger if I graduated from the same school he attended. Please tell me you'd buy a Florida #15 jersey if it didnt represent Tebow.

In this case like Sam Keller you can tell they are desparate for money but theres also no way they could bring this up while in school. Stop thinking about your rosters and think about human rights. The NCAA is getting over and we all know it. They can sale exclusive rights to video game companies yet players dont get a dime. Yes they get a free education but is it really free? All the work they have to put in? Its a damn job! Pressue is off the charts also.
Srory but the I cant buy my friend a burger argument doesnt fly with me I was a student athlete once upon a time lol and not only do these guys get get free meal cards which most sell at double the value.

They also get free parking and or bus passes free clothing (may be university wear but who gives a crap its usually Nike, Adidas which is also sold) free housing.

Not to mention the 20 50 100 dollar handshakes even the scrubs like me who you wouldn't recognize if I was sitting next to you received as well.

If this was a kid currently in school I could some what sympathize with but a 40 year-old wash out

Last edited by GHUGHES; 02-10-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:07 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
OK what I dont understand is this. What happens when SI has Mark Ingram on their cover? Are they not making money off the players likeness and name ? Why are they not being sued?
The magazines are just printing facts and news whereas in video games you are creating fictional characters and giving them a person's identity.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:53 PM   #19
Banned

feedthehorse28's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHUGHES
Srory but the I cant buy my friend a burger argument doesnt fly with me I was a student athlete once upon a time lol and not only do these guys get get free meal cards which most sell at double the value.

They also get free parking and or bus passes free clothing (may be university wear but who gives a crap its usually Nike, Adidas which is also sold) free housing.

Not to mention the 20 50 100 dollar handshakes even the scrubs like me who you wouldn't recognize if I was sitting next to you received as well.

If this was a kid currently in school I could some what sympathize with but a 40 year-old wash out
this x1000000

when will these losers stop looking for handouts and quit feeling sorry themselves?
Old 02-11-2010, 02:58 AM   #20
MVP

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHUGHES

Agreed.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:42 AM   #21
MVP

Hova57's Arena

OVR: 31

that the thing about the NCAA is so twisted, these kids many of whom don't have full scholarships aren't allowed to work, not take any money,but how are they suppose to live. most of them their parents are barely making it by.so how are they suppose to get money to their kids. if a player wants to work they should be allowed. as far as licenses go the student should get a cut , but it should go toward providing them will full paid tuition, and using their schloarship toward funding other sports that could use that scholarship to a sport team that wouldn't be on a video game or such.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-11-2010, 10:58 AM   #22
MVP

Hiro1's Arena

OVR: 7

My 1st cousin plays football for one of the big three schools in Florida. He was so ecstatic to see himself in the game the 1st time. Lol We lived together our sophomore year, since he was staying off campus he received at least a $700 check for not staying on campus. That plus the 250,000+ worth of their scholarships it's still hard for me to feel any sympathy. Oh yeah what about the nutritionist and free training they get. Playing football also gets you females who flock toward you for the simple fact that you play football. Many of them willing to even do their work for them. Lol I've seen it first hand.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:41 PM   #23
Pro

tarheelguy4736's Arena

OVR: 4

We actually talked about these law suits in my Sports Law class a couple days ago. We also talked about the Obannon and also the Keller case. Honestly, if they were to rule in favor of either one of these guys or anyone in the future, then the future of college related anything will be ruined. You couldn't have anymore, for example, #15 Florida Gators football jersey's for sale because it resembles a player. You couldn't sell jersey's with players numbers on it that are in school at that time or even sell pictures with them in it. Basically anything that has that player on it then you cant sell it because they would be entitled to that money as well. To me, there is no good outcome for either parties. For one, college players dont get paid for all that they do and the schools get to profit from their players. And then if this happens then colleges wont be able to make much money so thatll raise tuition at a lot of schools and that wouldn't be good either. I honestly think these lawsuits wont pass. There has already been a precedent set by other judges that have already ruled on this. And once a precedent is set it is very hard to change it.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:27 AM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 2

First of all student athletes are allowed to work. They just actually have to be working the hours they get paid. Secondly they get so much free stuff from the school that they really don't have to worry about too much. They get free food, free housing, free clothing, and a free education. Some of them get so much in refunds from the excess of their scholarships that they turn it down their senior year to let someone else have it because they don't need it. Finally, every college athlete I have ever talked to enjoys playing their likeness in the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »