Home

Keeping dynasties competitive

This is a discussion on Keeping dynasties competitive within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-22-2010, 04:16 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Keeping dynasties competitive

I'm playing All American using Oraeaon1224's sliders. The problem I'm seeing is that I'm dominating the conference and FCS by the 5-7th year. At one point, I was 55-0 with 3 straight BCS championships. I started with a B team in the Big 12. The problem seems to be that the Big 12 teams, except for tu somewhat, cannot consistently recruit at the level that I do. (I started with a 2-star school.) Consequently, they're giving me no competition and almost no B12 team has been ranked the last 3-4 ranked.

Am I right to blame the limited competitive dynasty on recruiting?

2-3 other teams seem to recruit consistently well and actually give me decent games when I play them--Notre Dame and Michigan. Even if I limit my recruiting (such as no more than 2 5-stars and 6 4-stars), there's no guarantee that the other teams will recruit better and continue to be competitive.

Any suggestions on keeping dynasties competitive more than 4 or 5 years?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2010, 05:25 PM   #2
MVP

boisejames's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Keeping dynasties competitive

Quote:
Originally Posted by guttertalk
I'm playing All American using Oraeaon1224's sliders. The problem I'm seeing is that I'm dominating the conference and FCS by the 5-7th year. At one point, I was 55-0 with 3 straight BCS championships. I started with a B team in the Big 12. The problem seems to be that the Big 12 teams, except for tu somewhat, cannot consistently recruit at the level that I do. (I started with a 2-star school.) Consequently, they're giving me no competition and almost no B12 team has been ranked the last 3-4 ranked.

2-3 other teams seem to recruit consistently well and actually give me decent games when I play them--Notre Dame and Michigan. Even if I limit my recruiting (such as no more than 2 5-stars and 6 4-stars), there's no guarantee that the other teams will recruit better and continue to be competitive.

Start as western kentucky, switch to an independent, schedule the toughest teams possible and make a rule that you can only recruit those already interested in your school. You shouldn't be able to win a national championship for quite a few years and you probably won't even go to a bowl game for the first year or maybe two as long as your sliders are good, I haven't used those, I use my own.
MLB: SEA
EFL: BHA
MLS: POR
Old 02-22-2010, 05:30 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
I'm playing All American using Oraeaon1224's sliders. The problem I'm seeing is that I'm dominating the conference and FCS by the 5-7th year. At one point, I was 55-0 with 3 straight BCS championships. I started with a B team in the Big 12. The problem seems to be that the Big 12 teams, except for The University of Texas somewhat, cannot consistently recruit at the level that I do. (I started with a 2-star school.) Consequently, they're giving me no competition and almost no B12 team has been ranked the last 3-4 ranked.

FIFY!

:hookem:

Oh and I like how you said "somewhat." LMAO. Poor aggy.

"Let them have their fun over there tonight. After we finish what we came here to do, this town will belong to us for the next three days."
-- Texas Coach Blair Cherry to the Longhorns in New Orleans on New Years Eve 1947. The next day, Texas beat the Tide 27-7.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:58 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangee
FIFY!

:hookem:

Oh and I like how you said "somewhat." LMAO. Poor aggy.
I'm summarizing the facts (which is hard for some to grasp): tu is sometimes in the top 10 recruiting classes, but they haven't been in the top 5 classes since year 3 (and I'm in year 10). I've had a top 5 recruiting class 5 straight years and probably 8 of 10 years. (Notre Dame and Michigan are often in the top 5, too.)
Old 02-22-2010, 05:59 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
I'm summarizing the facts (which is hard for some to grasp): tu is sometimes in the top 10 recruiting classes, but they haven't been in the top 5 classes since year 3 (and I'm in year 10). I've had a top 5 recruiting class 5 straight years and probably 8 of 10 years. (Notre Dame and Michigan are often in the top 5, too.)
Oh, you meant in your game, my bad. And don't call them "TU" that's not funny, it just makes you sound like you have penis envy.

"Let them have their fun over there tonight. After we finish what we came here to do, this town will belong to us for the next three days."
-- Texas Coach Blair Cherry to the Longhorns in New Orleans on New Years Eve 1947. The next day, Texas beat the Tide 27-7.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2010, 06:45 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangee
And don't call them "TU" that's not funny, it just makes you sound like you have penis envy.

As long as folks use the pretentious "The University," I'll call it tu.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:25 PM   #7
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

I would definitely say it's the recruiting, and you could always make the sliders tougher if you want. For recruiting, you need restrictions because the CPU is simply not smart enough to recruit against people.

Here's a typical user recruitment of a recruit.
1. Uncover A+ pitches until you get 3 V.H. or Most.
2. Continue from A -> B+ -> B (depending on what your school has to offer) until you get to 3 good pitches (most, V.H. or sway a high to V.H.)
3. For every subsequent week, only pitch your good pitches for however long you deem necessary (half hour, hour, until his bar fills, until his face hits a certain degree of pissedoffedness, etc).

This doesn't even account for visits, but the CPU's recruiting logic isn't capable of the above and thusly, isn't nearly as effective. Devs have stated that the CPU recruits by using the "quick call" logic. Try some quick calls and see how dumb it is (IE. "interest gain for " when you never would've been pitching that because you have a most/A+ pitch).

To make it fair, do a combination of the follow or other recruiting restrictions:
Never allow yourself to sign more players than needed to hit 70. This should be the 1st rule implemented by everyone.
Only allow yourself to sign x 5* kids and y 4* kids.
Only recruit ones that start with a green dot.
Only allow recruiting of 5* and/or 4* kids from certain geographical areas (IE. near your home state or from pipelines, etc). The pipeline one can be fun as you try to find good 3* kids from a new state that you want as a pipeline and then, after you get 4 from that state, you're now allowed to sign 4* and 5* kids from there.

Another possibility (although I wouldn't like this at all) would be to only use quickcalls or even simply let the CPU do all of your recruiting. This would likely put you on par with the other teams for recruiting. For me, though, recruiting is the most fun part of the game so I'd never do this. I still need restrictions (especially as Michigan) but it's still a blast to recruit even with the restrictions.

With decent recruiting restrictions, you can still have a great team, but one that's on par with the USCs and Texases and Floridas of the world instead of one that's NFL caliber when compared to other teams.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings

Last edited by jello1717; 02-24-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:02 PM   #8
Rookie

brewer1814's Arena

OVR: 0

Recruiting is the issue. The cpu is incompetent when it comes to recruiting. Recruiting has been a joke ever since the jump was made to next gen. It is my favorite part of college football and I can't even enjoy it on this game. Some good ideas there Jello, I've implemented similar restrictions also.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »