Home

Madden + Ncaa Issue IMO

This is a discussion on Madden + Ncaa Issue IMO within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-30-2010, 02:31 PM   #1
Banned

Zgamer34's Arena

OVR: 3
Madden + Ncaa Issue IMO

First let me say I'm new here so please go easy on me and if this thread was already posted before I am sorry, I have not seen it.

Now, the big issue I find in both games is what I like to call "assignment blocking". A component of a Offense thats almost obvious but not in the game? This is most prevelent during a run play rather than a pass. Let me give a example here to give you a better understanding.

"Real life," Play,24 Iso (out of I formation)-

During this play the HB would get the ball and run threw the 4 hole (between the RG and RT). Therfore the lineman will down block. RG would get the nose tackle (or double team a DT depending on defensive formation) and the RT would hit the End or LOLB, agian, depending on formation. The full back would hit the MLB and ISOlate him, hence 24 ISO. If everyone does there assignment, the HB is guarenteed atleast 6-7 yards without having to make a move unless someone misses there block or gets beat.

Ncaa/Madden, play, 24 Iso (out of I formation)-

Agian half back gets the ball, but, RG goes for MLB, RT goes for DT (closing the hole for the RB to run threw), and the FB runs and hits a LB who is way out of the play anyway. HB gains x amount a yards (all based on chance or luck, maybe skill?)

I have a problem with this because why have offensive plays if noone actually has a assignment? You could argue and say pulling guards pull so therefore they are blocking correctly, but I believe that blockers are programed to run a certrain direction and to block whoever seems like a threat, or maybe not even a threat. It kills the running game! Also on a defensive perspective: a LB is suppose to read a guards first step. So if I took user control of a LB and tryed to read a guard I would be screwed. That takes a lot of realism away from the game. If I bored you im sorry, this is all IMO and will like to hear others thoughts. Thank you =)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2010, 04:47 PM   #2
MVP

Hova57's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: Madden + Ncaa Issue IMO

it wasn't done in ncaa thread, but in madden thread by adem and sven drack. good start though it will be interesting to see if ncaa guys get deep into as madden guys did.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:51 PM   #3
MVP

Hova57's Arena

OVR: 31

yea the fundamentals are messed up in these games for the run. protack helps some with pass protection, but needs an ai tweek .

even in the playbook what you see is what the cpu does to an extent. its not programmed in what if's so playing different defense really jacks it up.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:25 PM   #4
MVP

prowler's Arena

OVR: 11

First off welcome to the board.

Secondly you're assessment is pretty spot on, it's just as bad on sweep plays. The pulling guards will be out in front of the ballcarrier and instead of blocking the defenders in front they'll run back toward the original ball spot to try and block the backside pursuit. The blocking on option plays is just as bad for different reasons, there's several threads about it.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:45 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zgamer34
\If everyone does there assignment, the HB is guarenteed atleast 6-7 yards without having to make a move unless someone misses there block or gets beat.
This is false. Guard and Center double the 1 tech to the backside LB, Tackle blocks out on the end, fullback leads up on the Mike. Who is blocking the outside LB?

Answer: No one.

6-7 yards, my ***.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-31-2010, 12:58 AM   #6
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler
First off welcome to the board.

Secondly you're assessment is pretty spot on, it's just as bad on sweep plays. The pulling guards will be out in front of the ballcarrier and instead of blocking the defenders in front they'll run back toward the original ball spot to try and block the backside pursuit. The blocking on option plays is just as bad for different reasons, there's several threads about it.
yea sweeps are annoying when you have a CB out there in the flats and a lineman lead blocking out ahead of you yet the lineman turns back inside and looks for backside pursuit instead of going after the CB.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:56 PM   #7
Banned

Zgamer34's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Bindel
This is false. Guard and Center double the 1 tech to the backside LB, Tackle blocks out on the end, fullback leads up on the Mike. Who is blocking the outside LB?

Answer: No one.

6-7 yards, my ***.
1 tech, Mike LB, etc. Same blocks dif names. Plus the way you may have learned the play could be diffrent to me. 6-7 yards should be "guarnteed" because if everyone does there correct blocking assignment the HB should not be touched untill 6-7 yards. Its the way plays are designed. Plays get blowen up before that due to miss blocked, wrong assignment, miss match (or superior playera), and sometimes luck

Also, this is way besides my point. I'm trying to say there is no assignment blocking. Regardless if what you say is right or if what I say is right the game does not play out either way. Thank you for the correction though =)
Old 03-31-2010, 11:58 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: ****** + Ncaa Issue IMO

But that is my point. What if the Defensive tackle is in a 3 technique instead of a 1? What if there are two inside LBers? What if the 1 tech stunts into the B Gap? These are real life scenarios that play out when teams run Iso, Lead, Blast, whatever you want to call it. Every defensive front changes the blocking scheme. Stunts and blitzes do the same.

The reality is Assignment blocking for a video game is not realistic. And never will be. There are too many variables for some nerd writing code to be able to type up, much less understand the blocking assignments.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »