Home

When will EA realize that you can't have a QB...

This is a discussion on When will EA realize that you can't have a QB... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-23-2010, 08:45 AM   #49
MVP

OVR: 34
Re: When will EA realize that you can't have a QB...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinWreck21
Madden fixed this... why can't NCAA?

explain.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:29 AM   #50
Banned

sois's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinWreck21
Madden fixed this... why can't NCAA?
Yes, please explain. It's still rampant in Madden.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:48 AM   #51
Rookie

silkysmooth's Arena

OVR: 2

I exclusively use the 3-4 mostly for this reason. A lot of times I will blitz an OLB only to find a tackle getting in my way and pushing me up field as I run past the QB. Tackles definitely do adapt to however you rush the QB. Ends basically engage lineman like they are trying to stop the run. Obviously in real life guys like Dwight Freeney (even though this would be about Madden) hardly ever just run straight into the tackle and get suctioned there for the entirety of the play. I use my OLB pretty much like a rush end because your CPU controlled teammates do a good enough job of creating a giant mess on the line of scrimmage that they will at least be in the neighborhood on inside run plays and may even get to the QB for a coverage sack.

It goes back to the fact that whether your guy is a pass rushing end or a run stopping one, nothing about his play style or animations change. He still slams into the tackle on purpose down after down regardless of what style of player he is. The style of player you have should mean something. Pass rushers should be trying to rush the passer but be more vulnerable to a run play to that side. Knowing EA and how they go overboard with things, something like this would be implemented in an over the top, obviously untested fashion that would literally break the game. Pass rushing defensive ends should be more focused on rushing the passer. The issue of having different players fill different roles also speaks to the whole idea that the same two defensive ends don't play every single down for every single team like they do in NCAA/Madden. Obviously you should be able to sub in your pass rushing defensive ends for passing downs and keep a balance of pass rush and run stopping on other downs.

Getting the line play down is a huge part of gameplay not only for NCAA but for Madden as well. I really give a freaking crap about the dual stick gameplay. I want my pass rushers to act like they are interested in you know, rushing the passer. It seems that when I'm controlling a LB and not rushing the passer, a sack happens purely as dumb luck. The coverage has held up long enough to allow the DE to finally break past the offensive lineman to hit the QB or the QB has rolled out and my lineman gets a clean shot at him. If I personally didn't play the 3-4 pass rush wouldn't happen in many cases. Even if the amount of sacks or pressure doesn't change much, the fact that the interaction between defensive ends in the game to rush the passer in a passing down and tackles who are supposed to be good at pass protection is somewhat realistic makes the game better.

Speed rushers are basically just guys who are better than other defensive ends at backside run support if a play breaks a certain way instead of actually being able to run past a lineman and get pressure on the QB. This can extend to run blocking as well. Regardless of what play is called, the offensive line reacts pretty much the same. There is no real difference between pass and run blocking from the look of things. In real life, there is a very clear difference between the two. It seems that both lines just huddle around the line of scrimmage bumping into each other and waiting for the play to develop one way or another. In real life, the offensive line will try and get a push forward on run plays or to drop back in pass protection on pass plays. Things like this could easily increase the viability of draw plays. All a draw play is now is a usual loss of yardage because the defensive line is not fooled a lick because your offensive line is hanging out on the line of scrimmage not doing much of anything.

Don't even get me started on the awful blocking AI and how it ruins certain types of plays like draws or the fact that your massive NFL sized offensive line has no real advantage at all on those 6-2, 195 lb defensive ends the game likes to crap out as a five star player. No way on earth would that guy be able to stand up against a 6-6, 300 lb tackle against the run. The offensive line size and strength and fitness should definitely come into play when going against smaller and more athletic defensive lines. If you run the ball for four solid quarters, there should be some advantage to that in terms of wearing down the defensive line. It's like a body shot in boxing. Running the ball to establish the run game and control the clock is nice for a while, but if you have success with it it should definitely wear down the defense even if it's just a slight decline. Defensive lineman spring to life regardless of how many between-the-tackles run plays you have successfully executed over the course of a game. Playing against a team like Wisconsin that pounds the football down your throat all game should have some effect.

Well I got really off track for just pass rushing and the pocket but line play and interaction are a big part of the gameplay that could make things more realistic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2010, 12:32 PM   #52
Rookie

kevinmerida's Arena

OVR: 4

When I use my DE he gets up field, its all about timing up the snap. playing on all american i have had many games with 7-8 sacks. I had a 4 year starter at UK and he finished his career with around 250 sacks lol. yeah I know this isnt realistic btw, but while I was using UK before I started rolling 5 stars in I'd take what I could get. Then after that I started recruiting big fast LBs and using them as ends and I had around 80+ sacks a couple times.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:43 PM   #53
MVP

xylocaine's Arena

OVR: 12

It's the suction blocking. Same reason that sometimes the DT breaks free and has a clear line to the QB for a sack and for some reason he turns and engages a HB or FB that morphs like 2 body widths over instantly for a block.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:33 PM   #54
MVP

Matt Diesel's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmerida
When I use my DE he gets up field, its all about timing up the snap. playing on all american i have had many games with 7-8 sacks. I had a 4 year starter at UK and he finished his career with around 250 sacks lol. yeah I know this isnt realistic btw, but while I was using UK before I started rolling 5 stars in I'd take what I could get. Then after that I started recruiting big fast LBs and using them as ends and I had around 80+ sacks a couple times.
I dont think the point is referring to user controlled DE. There are lots of tricks you can do. Rather , the AI DEs run smack into the tackles instead of turning up field to encompass the QB.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:59 PM   #55
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

Well, the locomotion is supposed to help with suction blocking, so we'll see.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2010, 11:36 AM   #56
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23

wait, is the complaint that he plays people who roll out right away with mobile QBs? Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't that more of a complaint towards the people you play. When you play online you play people that dont play realistic football most of the time.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »