Home

NCAA Football 11 Video: Offensive Styles

This is a discussion on NCAA Football 11 Video: Offensive Styles within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-27-2010, 07:23 PM   #89
Rookie

MCSquared16's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: NCAA Football 11 Video: Offensive Styles

I agree with hoping for some D improvements, but its also important to remember that all of these videos are on the veteran difficulty, so here's hoping some of this stuff (the separation you mentioned, etc) disappears a bit on higher difficulties.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:38 PM   #90
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Its on Varsity, not veteran.

And I think the reason we don't see many defensive videos is because defense is more of a reaction part of the game and not all strategy like offense. On offense you're always trying to gain mismatches, catch the defense off guard, set other plays up, etc. On defense, your trying to counter their play call and stop the play from working. Like calling a nickel when they bring that extra WR out, or calling a 4-4 when they bring out a tight formation.

― Plato
Old 04-27-2010, 07:52 PM   #91
Rookie

MCSquared16's Arena

OVR: 3

Thanks, I knew it started with a "V" but I blanked. haha

I agree, I just hope they get it right as far as the D is concerned. I like what I see with the offenses, I just hope good Ds will be able to counteract the O like they should. (Especially seeing how the CPU would go beastmode in the hurry-up before)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-27-2010, 08:48 PM   #92
MVP

OVR: 12

There is no excuse that can be used that explains the lack of defense in this series, none at all. Wide open gameplay was one of the worst " features " ever introduced into this series.

There is no excuse for the entire line, linebackers, corners, and safetys to all run to the inside and allow 50+ yard runs where the running back is untouched. There is no excuse for the DBs and safetys intentionally taking themselves out of the play just so you can get a catch, and there is no excuse for every slant, hook, curl and post route to be open and unguarded 100% of the time.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:05 PM   #93
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedkills
Bobby Petrino doesn't run a west coast offense at Arkansas. From what I understand it's called the power spread. And the run and shoot isn't simply "throwing the ball 60 times a game and getting rid of it quickly" it's receivers changing their routes on the fly as the play develops depending on the coverage. That's something that hasn't been replicated in a videogame other than Joe Montana NFL 1994 of all games. And isn't the pistol just a formation rather than an entire offensive scheme?

Either way, thanks to the devs for making this part of the game. This is a definite buy for me come July.
Arkansas is implementing a lot of the Pistol offense this year, since they got the guy from Nevada who championed it. Also, I'm not sure why thy would mention that you need a QB that can run in the Pistol?
Washington Wizards
Old 04-27-2010, 09:39 PM   #94
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Its on Varsity, not veteran.

And I think the reason we don't see many defensive videos is because defense is more of a reaction part of the game and not all strategy like offense. On offense you're always trying to gain mismatches, catch the defense off guard, set other plays up, etc. On defense, your trying to counter their play call and stop the play from working. Like calling a nickel when they bring that extra WR out, or calling a 4-4 when they bring out a tight formation.
I beg to differ. Defense is as much strategy-oriented as offense. While there are obviously many teams who rely on their athletes to make plays in a base defense (Texas is the best example), and play a much more reactionary role as you say, others utilize various stunts/movements/coverages to keep the offense guessing (Bama's style of play).

Another thing that contributes to defensive strategy is adjustments, not just to formations but techniques and assignments within particular formations/coverages.

For instance: a spread team picks apart a soft defense on the perimeter with bubble screens on one drive. The defense comes out the next series and instead of playing a soft cover 4 they play cover 2 and jam the #1 receivers to prevent those easy perimeter plays.

Another example: an I team is gashing a 4-3 defense with iso because the center is getting a free release on the MLB. So the defensive coaches have a DT move down to a shade on the center so he won't get that free release.

Unfortunately, the defensive side of the ball is not flaunted as much as offense. Therefore more attention is given to offense because that's what more fans understand. And let's be honest....in some places they don't even play defense

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »