Home

Tone down player Ratings please!!!

This is a discussion on Tone down player Ratings please!!! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-07-2010, 05:44 PM   #17
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39
Re: Tone down player Ratings please!!!

Agreed 100%.

NCAA needs to have all rating's more stretched out, for potential recruits as well as everyone else in the game. For example, last year (IIRC) Bama had 4 QB's who were all rated above 80. None of which had ever started a game in college. Although, Mcelroy was pretty highly recruited so maybe I could justify him being over 80 but, everyone else should have been less that 75, IMO.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 05-07-2010, 06:29 PM   #18
MVP

BDawg35's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegeezy
Laying low right now.

I quit my Madden 10 franchise like in January I think, though unintentionally. Work/Life got extremely busy for about 2 months and I had no time for it and by the time things slowed down, I had lost interest.

I sort of just abandoned my Bengals chise and left my readers hangin' with no explanation unfortunately.

I'm trying to decide which game to play this year and I'd say right now I'm about 65-70% sure it will be NCAA.

I probably will go in a different direction as far as team. I have this strange desire to play with a small school in a small conference, like Western Kentucky. Won't be much fun for my readers but I kind of want to use a low-key school that's playing for other things besides a national championship.
Sounds cool. Those are always the most fun teams to roll with, so long as it doesn't end up being like some of my earlier dynasties where I managed to take a really bad team to the national title within 4-5 years. I like the long, slow progression of a program, but sometimes that's tied in the learning curve of the user when it comes to playing the game. Once you get the game down, sometimes it's a fast track to success.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:38 PM   #19
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21

I'm not so sure toning down the ratings is a great idea. In Madden, it screwed up a lot of the Sim stats, particularly backup RBs averaging 1.3 yards/carry along with a few other things.

Also, we don't know how the game would play with really stretched ratings. Right now if USC played Kent St, you could easily win by 50. if ratings were stretched, would you now win by 100?

I liked the stretched ratings in Madden, but I feel like the disparity between good and bad teams is already well represented in NCAA. Progression is another story, obviously every team shouldn't progress to 90s.

I agree that 95+ players should be special, reserved for the elite, but if the game doesn't run as well on the ratings changes, then it's not worth it.

So basically, be careful what you wish for.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:45 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 1

I think there needs to be a balance, and some lower-ranked recruits would have to progress well. Playing a small school would be very frustrating if you finally land that big-time playing only to watch his skill drop for no reason, or to end up with a 70-OVR player. When you're Florida or USC and land 5 of those every year it might not be a big deal, but it would be a real headache to deal with that playing a small school without a built-in recruiting advantage.

I'd like to see some of those lower-rated players turned out to be gems, or some of them progressed much faster to become quality players. Look at the NFL and you'll find that a very large percentage of those guys weren't 5-star high school players, but developed in college to become elite.

As for the fun factor, I have more fun when the players on my team are good. The system could use some work but if you think all your players are simply too good can't you just adjust the sliders to make the game a little harder?
Old 05-07-2010, 06:52 PM   #21
Pro

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanPDX
I think there needs to be a balance, and some lower-ranked recruits would have to progress well. Playing a small school would be very frustrating if you finally land that big-time playing only to watch his skill drop for no reason, or to end up with a 70-OVR player. When you're Florida or USC and land 5 of those every year it might not be a big deal, but it would be a real headache to deal with that playing a small school without a built-in recruiting advantage.

I'd like to see some of those lower-rated players turned out to be gems, or some of them progressed much faster to become quality players. Look at the NFL and you'll find that a very large percentage of those guys weren't 5-star high school players, but developed in college to become elite.

As for the fun factor, I have more fun when the players on my team are good. The system could use some work but if you think all your players are simply too good can't you just adjust the sliders to make the game a little harder?
For me, its that my team feels the same year in and year out. It should be felt if your heisman winning running back leaves early, or your 3 time all american safety graduates. With 10's progression if you lost a star player his back up would progress in the off season enough that it wasn't too noticeable
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-07-2010, 06:52 PM   #22
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21

Just for fun, I did this a few months ago:

Just saw an article on Collegefootballnews.com that goes back to the 2006 5 Star Recruits and sees how they've fared in 4 years. I thought it'd be interesting to see what their NCAA Rating should be right now. Obviously in the game, almost all 5 star recruits end up over 90.

These ratings are estimates, but I think they're a pretty good reflection of the player's career.

55. DE Clifton Geathers, South Carolina – 88

54. LB Darius Dewberry, Georgia – 80

53. OT J’Marcus Webb, Texas – Playing Division 2

52. RB DeMarco Murray, Oklahoma – 92

51. LB Josh Tatum, USC – 75

50. OL Bart Eddins, Auburn – 75

49. OG Justin Boren, Michigan – 90, One year left

48. RB James Aldridge, Notre Dame – 85, limited role at FB

47. LB Jonas Mouton, Michigan – 85, One year left

46. LB Brandon Spikes, Florida – 95

45. DT Melvin Alaeze, Maryland – In Jail

44. OG Carl Johnson, Florida – 93

43. WR David Ausberry, USC – 80

42. RB Mike Goodson, Texas A&M – 85

41. S Antwine Perez, USC – 75

40. LB Akeem Hebron, Georgia – 75

39. DT Jerrell Powe, Ole Miss – 3 years of academic issues, now about a 90.

38. OL Antonio Logan-El, Penn State -- FCS Transfer

37. WR Chris Bell, Penn State – FCS Transfer

36. RB LeSean McCoy, Pittsburgh – 95

35. RB C.J. Gable, USC – 85

34. RB Allen Bradford, USC – 87

33. DL Brandon Wood, Georgia – 83

32. DT Marques Slocum, Michigan – Played 1 Year, Kicked off team.

31. OG Connor Smith, Ohio State – 80?

30. TE Dorin Dickerson, Pittsburgh – 3 Years of position changes and average play, 1 year as a 90 TE.

29. RB C.J. Spiller, Clemson - 97

28. S Jamar Hornsby--Booted off the team

27. DE Brandon Graham--95

26. DE Peanut Whitehead--Career Ending Injury

25. DT Callahan Bright--Did Not Qualify

24. OL Stephen Schilling--87

23. WR Jarred Fayson--80 (One year left, transferred)

22. RB Keiland Williams--83

21. QB Tim Tebow--99

20. CB Deon Beasley--83

19. S Taylor Mays--97

18. LB Micah Johnson--93

17. DE Ricky Sapp--93

16. DT Al Woods--88

15. OT Sam Young--88

14. TE Konrad Reuland--75 (One year left)

13. WR Percy Harvin--97

12. RB Stafon Johnson--91

11. QB Matt Stafford, Georgia – 95

10. CB Jai Eugene--85

9. S Myron Rolle--93 (Rhodes Scholar)

8. DE Sergio Kindle--95

7. DE Eddie Jones--88

6. DT Gerald McCoy--97

5. OT Andre Smith--99

4. TE Nate Byham--80

3. WR Vidal Hazelton--80 (One year left)

2. RB Chris Wells--95

1. QB Mitch Mustain --85

So after the final tally, this is how the 55 5-Star recruits break down for 2006.

70s--5
80s--21
90s--21
No Longer in FBS--8

Rated 95+: 12
Old 05-07-2010, 08:02 PM   #23
Rookie

I agree totally that ratings and progression need a complete revamping. They need to incorporate several more things in recruiting &/or progression.

Recruiting:
* Add certaion players that would be mid-year enrollees (so that they could play in spring game and gain spring progression {see progression})
* Make the big name recruits want to go to big name schools if they offer (too many times Boise State or TCU is in the heavy running for the top players....good schools but cant compete when USC, Oklahome, & Ohio State are recruiting)
* Show us GPA for classes (this could lead to signing a guy that doesnt qualify or he becomes academically inelgible later on)
* Have the recruits be aware of teams depth chart. If you have a 4* guy that wants to play, why would he sign on a team where he is the 4th best....even if it is Ohio State.
* Make the pipeline states relevant again, and if you recruit outside your pipelines......it is very difficult (unless you like USC or Ohio State).

Progression
* Attitude - this would vary player to player, but if you dont live up to your recruiting promises, switch to a position he doesnt want, lack of playing time, etc. then he has a bad attitude and wont progress much.
* If the attitude is bad enough, you could have violations, transfers, quits team, etc.
* If you have players that are rated above players on simliar teams but sitting the bench as opposed to the others starting, then they transfer.
* Experience - games played, snaps, stats, etc. would all be a huge factor here.
* Position switching - this has always been an easy way to keep progessing guys that have "maxed" out. Put a penalty if you switch a guy positions and try to switch back. Your progession is largely dependent on what position you played the year before (experience).
* Progress according to coaching style - if you only ever play man, then you shouldnt progess much in zone rating for ANY of your DBs. Or if you have super fast WR that cant catch very good, and you keep throwing him the ball (he catchs evey once in a while), then that develops. If you just run streaks and dont throw him the ball....his catch wont go up much.

This whole ratings/progression system just needs a good overhaul.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:15 PM   #24
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palo20
Just for fun, I did this a few months ago:

Just saw an article on Collegefootballnews.com that goes back to the 2006 5 Star Recruits and sees how they've fared in 4 years. I thought it'd be interesting to see what their NCAA Rating should be right now. Obviously in the game, almost all 5 star recruits end up over 90.

These ratings are estimates, but I think they're a pretty good reflection of the player's career.

55. DE Clifton Geathers, South Carolina – 88

54. LB Darius Dewberry, Georgia – 80

53. OT J’Marcus Webb, Texas – Playing Division 2

52. RB DeMarco Murray, Oklahoma – 92

51. LB Josh Tatum, USC – 75

50. OL Bart Eddins, Auburn – 75

49. OG Justin Boren, Michigan – 90, One year left

48. RB James Aldridge, Notre Dame – 85, limited role at FB

47. LB Jonas Mouton, Michigan – 85, One year left

46. LB Brandon Spikes, Florida – 95

45. DT Melvin Alaeze, Maryland – In Jail

44. OG Carl Johnson, Florida – 93

43. WR David Ausberry, USC – 80

42. RB Mike Goodson, Texas A&M – 85

41. S Antwine Perez, USC – 75

40. LB Akeem Hebron, Georgia – 75

39. DT Jerrell Powe, Ole Miss – 3 years of academic issues, now about a 90.

38. OL Antonio Logan-El, Penn State -- FCS Transfer

37. WR Chris Bell, Penn State – FCS Transfer

36. RB LeSean McCoy, Pittsburgh – 95

35. RB C.J. Gable, USC – 85

34. RB Allen Bradford, USC – 87

33. DL Brandon Wood, Georgia – 83

32. DT Marques Slocum, Michigan – Played 1 Year, Kicked off team.

31. OG Connor Smith, Ohio State – 80?

30. TE Dorin Dickerson, Pittsburgh – 3 Years of position changes and average play, 1 year as a 90 TE.

29. RB C.J. Spiller, Clemson - 97

28. S Jamar Hornsby--Booted off the team

27. DE Brandon Graham--95

26. DE Peanut Whitehead--Career Ending Injury

25. DT Callahan Bright--Did Not Qualify

24. OL Stephen Schilling--87

23. WR Jarred Fayson--80 (One year left, transferred)

22. RB Keiland Williams--83

21. QB Tim Tebow--99

20. CB Deon Beasley--83

19. S Taylor Mays--97

18. LB Micah Johnson--93

17. DE Ricky Sapp--93

16. DT Al Woods--88

15. OT Sam Young--88

14. TE Konrad Reuland--75 (One year left)

13. WR Percy Harvin--97

12. RB Stafon Johnson--91

11. QB Matt Stafford, Georgia – 95

10. CB Jai Eugene--85

9. S Myron Rolle--93 (Rhodes Scholar)

8. DE Sergio Kindle--95

7. DE Eddie Jones--88

6. DT Gerald McCoy--97

5. OT Andre Smith--99

4. TE Nate Byham--80

3. WR Vidal Hazelton--80 (One year left)

2. RB Chris Wells--95

1. QB Mitch Mustain --85

So after the final tally, this is how the 55 5-Star recruits break down for 2006.

70s--5
80s--21
90s--21
No Longer in FBS--8

Rated 95+: 12
I think all ratings should be dropped by like 8-10. It makes the best players more special when they are in the high 80's - low 90's, rather than the best players being 95-99 and the second tier players only a few points behind.

They need to do ratings like Fifa and NBA 2k10

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »