Home

Is Field Size the problem?

This is a discussion on Is Field Size the problem? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-10-2010, 02:54 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 19
Icon5 Is Field Size the problem?

I know that soccer fields are slightly larger than football fields, but while playing Fifa 10, the Player to Field size ratio seemed just right to my eyes. One of the major issues I've had with all football games (EA,2K, 989, Acclaim etc...) is that the field looks too small compared to player size making gameplay seem boxed in. I'm just wondering if this is creating the issues with player/ball movement (Speed) or flow? In every football game on Next-Gen, the out route pass from opposite hash displays a Elway/Farve strait line bullet by every QB in the game. Thus because of this, player's movements must be faster to make them look/seem natural. Another example is the corner route from opposite hash. The route does not have the space on the game fields to develope, again warping movement so that the play can be performed. I also believe that the 3 yrd jump jukes and 360 warp spins look so unrealistic because of the box (field size) they must be performed in.

I know that the idea is to bring the gamer as close to field level action while also limiting too much of a blimp view to see players on the edge, but with the Broadcast camera concept and all the various angles they can shoot from, maybe the field size could be increased to balance out movement (speed) within the game.

In 09-10 football, players seemed to move at warp-clicky speed. This year we will have agility/acceleration, but I think until the field size is addressed, there will be this frustrating "tug-of-war" to find movement balance that is realistic/natural to the eye.

Would be nice to throw a deep ball down the sideline and not have the safety get there every time or throw a crossing/drag route and get more than 3-6 yrds.

Just a gamers thought!

Last edited by khaliib; 05-10-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2010, 05:59 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 25
Re: Is Field Size the problem?

I have thought something has been "OFF" with either the field or player sizes since 05 honestly....
Old 05-10-2010, 10:23 PM   #3
Stop the Nonsense

fsufan4423's Arena

OVR: 36

I totally agree, the fields are way too small. the scheme EA uses for their football games, you might as well have 22 defenders.

Each defensive guy can cover 2 or 3 positions, which makes it very difficult to get comeback routes, deep post, out routes, ect.

I just played the FIFA demo a few days ago and thought the players and field looked great.

3 national championships 3 Heisman Trophy winners 16 ACC Championships 14 straight AP top fives

2014 BCS National Champions
Old 05-10-2010, 10:51 PM   #4
MVP

The throws on the PS2 version are so nice and natural looking, but with the push on Next-Gen to capture those minute details (sweat on arms, helmet sticker, grass pedals etc...) the camera must be zoomed in and player's squeezed on a smaller field to allow those on edge to be seen.

I love the room that FIFA field gives. Again, I know that it is slightly larger than a football field, but I love how I have room to work my player's attributes during gameplay.

The CPU kicked the ball from his corner to my corner on the opposite side of the field, and my guy was all out sprinting before being passed by the CPU's faster player who caught the ball in full-stride to score.

I just wish they would expand the size of the field. I think it would help so much with the fluidity of player movements. One movement would not have to be warped to blend in with another.

I still is looking good though
Old 05-10-2010, 10:53 PM   #5
MVP

RumbleCard's Arena

OVR: 8

No doubt EA's drive to bring the action closer and bigger to the screen has skewed the player to field aspect ratio.

Bigger, stronger and more detailed graphics aren't fully capitalized on if you can't pan in close enough. If the ratio were accurate the zoom would kill the ability to see the field. No way EA goes to smaller players. Fanboys, hardcores and casual gamers would eat them alive if player models were shrunken down to their appropriate sizes.

Personally I think the field (in relation to the players size) is too narrow and too short. However I don't have a solution to the problem they'd run into by enlarging the field over shrinking the players.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2010, 11:11 PM   #6
MVP

Well there is a choice gamer's must make. If we want "Authentic" or "Real", then we will either get Authentic Visuals or Authentic Flow/Movement. But we can't have both. One will cancel out the other.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:20 PM   #7
All Star

OVR: 33

Field is too small.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:45 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 26

We need a player size option like we had on Madden (N64).

That would cure all.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »