Home

NCAA Football 11 Blog: Quarterback

This is a discussion on NCAA Football 11 Blog: Quarterback within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-14-2010, 05:24 PM   #33
Banned

OVR: 4
Re: NCAA Football 11 Blog: Quarterback

Pointless... The blog is titled "quarterback" and we still recieve no info on new throiwing animations which were needed after ncaa 08. I understand that the DE containment is very important. But really this addressed little if anything about the styles and or how they affect gameplay. It says "in college football there are duel threat QBs and pocket passers". Its like me saying that "today is Friday and tomarrow will be Saturday". We all know that college football has different types of QBs. But how will you implement that into the game? (Most) duel threat Qbs have long drawn out winding motions. ie Mike Vick, Pat White, Juice Williams, Tyrod Taylor, Tim Tebow (Pre Draft) most pocket passers tend to have nice clean quick releases, Bradford, McCoy (kinda) Lefevour. Why not implement this into the game. A scrambler is going to be quick and deadly on the run but they also need more time to throw and get there feet set. Pocket guy is a snail on the run but is able to get the ball off and all around the field based on arm strenght and ohter attributes. Dont get me wrong I am stoked for this game but throwing different throwing motions are something that I have wanted ever since I played MVP 04 and created my own pitcher. Its a killer for me to see the ugly preasent throwing motions that are in 2010. Locomotion is going to be awesome hopefully. But kicking the ball out to my shifty RB is going to be overshaddowed by the 1000 mile an hour dart motion of the QB.

Does anyone agree?

I know I have brought up this topic before. But is it a game killer for you guys like it is me? Like when they show a replay and the ball warps out of the hand of the QB and does not even spin?
Old 05-14-2010, 05:52 PM   #34
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42
I'm not seeing what everyone is complaining about. These are high quality additions that make this game more realistic. Also, everyone wants a more realistic game, but then I hear people say that a certain addition means nothing and the blog means nothing because it only has to do with gameplanning. News Flash: Gameplanning is something that makes this video game extremely realistic. That's football.

Anyways, I'm biased because I am a defensive coordinator in real life so I love what this means for the game. I love the fact you can adjust a weekly gameplan to adapt to certain personnel. I also thought the logic that goes into deciding who attacks (i.e, knowing if a teammate is in spy coverage before rushing) is a HUGE step towards realism.

You all are missing the boat here. EA is taking a step towards getting these video game players to actually THINK like their real life counterparts.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:09 PM   #35
Banned

OVR: 4

Not knocking the strategic side of things by the way. Im all for that. I think it should take logical thought to win a game on line. Not just running around with Terrel Prior. Various Qb styles are just something that has been needed for years. It would be like a baseball game that has the same throiwng motion for every pitcher in it. Its crucial to gameplay.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2010, 06:13 PM   #36
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skers1989
Pointless... The blog is titled "quarterback" and we still recieve no info on new throiwing animations which were needed after ncaa 08. I understand that the DE containment is very important. But really this addressed little if anything about the styles and or how they affect gameplay. It says "in college football there are duel threat QBs and pocket passers". Its like me saying that "today is Friday and tomarrow will be Saturday". We all know that college football has different types of QBs. But how will you implement that into the game? (Most) duel threat Qbs have long drawn out winding motions. ie Mike Vick, Pat White, Juice Williams, Tyrod Taylor, Tim Tebow (Pre Draft) most pocket passers tend to have nice clean quick releases, Bradford, McCoy (kinda) Lefevour. Why not implement this into the game. A scrambler is going to be quick and deadly on the run but they also need more time to throw and get there feet set. Pocket guy is a snail on the run but is able to get the ball off and all around the field based on arm strenght and ohter attributes. Dont get me wrong I am stoked for this game but throwing different throwing motions are something that I have wanted ever since I played MVP 04 and created my own pitcher. Its a killer for me to see the ugly preasent throwing motions that are in 2010. Locomotion is going to be awesome hopefully. But kicking the ball out to my shifty RB is going to be overshaddowed by the 1000 mile an hour dart motion of the QB.

Does anyone agree?

I know I have brought up this topic before. But is it a game killer for you guys like it is me? Like when they show a replay and the ball warps out of the hand of the QB and does not even spin?
I agree with you. Colt McCoy actually is a dual threat QB instead of a pure pocket passer.

I'm really hoping they split accuracy into short/med/deep this year. I feel that is more important than the throwing motions, even though I want those in a bad way too. That was what I was hoping for in this blog and didn't get it.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:14 PM   #37
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21

Another fair question is: will CPU Dual Threat QBs actually run now?

Oh and I have a feeling they are gonna rename Scrambling QBs to Dual Threat in recruiting.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:25 PM   #38
MVP

OVR: 19
I'm really wondering who's creating the Def schemes. They seem so generic without thought. As one poster stated above, they must incorporate pre-snap movement on he Def side and the snapshot gives a perfect example why.

This has to be a Dime Man 2, and they've called this QB contain thing.
Well with 2 over top w/Man call, the LB is beat by a RB Flare everytime, middle route's are open all day because LB is gone and 2 Safeties have deep 1/2's.
If everyone blocks out, C blocks down on N, weakside G does a loop to middel LB, RB has yrds + everytime.

Again, is someone with Def understanding helping them put together these schemes together so it's not an Offensive shootout?

***They must, must, must expand the width of the field if they are going to con't to have short side WR's spaced the same as those on the wide side.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:40 PM   #39
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23

the corners feet are fine

Sometimes i have my corners line up facing the QB with the outside foot up depending on the play. If its press then i dont tell them to do that but if i have them off around 3-5 i sometimes have them line up that way so they can see run first and they are fast enough to recover and react.

If you're a corner playing up close, your inside foot is supposed to be up, the reasoning is so that you can cover the slant easier. Lets say you're the left corner (looking at it from the defensive side), your right foot should be up so that your 1st step back is with that right foot and then 2nd with the left foot and if they are running that quick slant you pivot off that outside foot. If they run a fade or outside pattern, your shoulders are already facing that direction so its easier to turn and run with them that way. If you had your outside foot up and the WR ran a fade or outside pattern then your shoulders are facing the wrong way and you're wasting motion by having to turn your body. Now if you're playing off a little you can play on the outside shoulder with your outside foot up and your shoulders sort of facing the QB because you have a little space to recover if they run a fade or outside rout and youre in a position to read the QB and react if its a quick slant.

But when up close, inside foot (foot closest to the QB) is supposed to be up and you punch with your inside hand on the WR's inside shoulder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Why does the guy covering the right slot WR have his outside foot back? Not a bad blog, but nothing really flashy like every other one. Rather boring....
If he had his outside foot up then all the WR has to do is run something quick to the outside and the DB is done. When your outside foot is up, your outside shoulder is up and therefore anything run to the outside requires you to turn your body that way which can put you off balance and is wasting motion. So all it would take is a fade or quick out and most likely the DB will be late. With his inside foot up he is protecting anything to the outside.

Now in terms of covering the slant, if its quick enough then his steps are 1. inside foot back 2. outside foot back pivot off the outside foot coming forward. If its a little deeper of a slant then its 1. inside foot back 2. outside foot back 3. inside foot back 4. outside foot back pivot off the outside foot.

Last edited by JerseySuave4; 05-14-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:44 PM   #40
MVP

UATide's Arena

OVR: 14

I'm sorry, but I cannot get past these screenshots. The ESPN layout looks SWEEEEEET!

This Is Alabama Football.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »