Home

The forgotten game aspect: special teams

This is a discussion on The forgotten game aspect: special teams within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-08-2010, 02:58 PM   #41
Banned

OVR: 25
Re: The forgotten game aspect: special teams

yeah...ST play is very very weak overall. Aside from running the occasion punt of kickoff back for a TD.....there isnt more than that.

I would love blocked punts (happen alot in college) and FGs (also happen in college) to actually happen.....Not ALL the time, but if i have a GREAT ST player (see a ST rating whould be awesome), he should be somewhat of an impact in the facet of the game....As of now, you ST is made up of backups and starters who really do LITTLE...

ST is 1/3 of the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-08-2010, 03:03 PM   #42
MVP

ElroyJetson's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA1NT401
yeah...ST play is very very weak overall. Aside from running the occasion punt of kickoff back for a TD.....there isnt more than that.

I would love blocked punts (happen alot in college) and FGs (also happen in college) to actually happen.....Not ALL the time, but if i have a GREAT ST player (see a ST rating whould be awesome), he should be somewhat of an impact in the facet of the game....As of now, you ST is made up of backups and starters who really do LITTLE...

ST is 1/3 of the game.
Ncaa 09 I blocked punts, ncaa 10 none at all, only thing good about st's is kick returning and thats above average.
Minnesota Vikings
JetLife
Old 06-08-2010, 03:07 PM   #43
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Yeah but if you recall, in NCAA 09, there were like way too many blocked XP's. I think that's why EA has backed off of the blocked fg/xp/punt possibility. They kind of tried it in 09 and screwed it up pretty bad and got a lot of grief. The grief from screwing it up is about 100x more than the grief from simply not changing it. Unfortunately that's why I think it'll never change at this point.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:45 PM   #44
Banned

1GATORFAN4EVA's Arena

OVR: 4

Ya they should factor in how good your Kicker/Punter is an your teams Long Snapper. The worse they are the more times there will be a bad snap an such. Thing that would be hard about making punts an kicks easier would be someone with a super fast player could just block it everytime.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:58 PM   #45
MVP

boxboy99's Arena

OVR: 23

One of the coolest things I ever seen in a football video game was a high snap over the punters head in APF. I wish EA would steal some thing from special teams in that game. The kicking distance/trajectory needs address. The main issue with blocked kicks in NCAA has been they usually come from some gimmick where people line up defenders I'm a way the Oline can't handle and it becomes cheesy. If EA finally gets Oline interaction and blocking addressed along with a better kick meter block may come naturally but I don't see it happening this year. Ea must know its time for a new kick meter since they did just change it for M11.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-08-2010, 11:05 PM   #46
Rookie

4solo's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROman
i dunno why they took out the ability to shift the line on the current gen ncaa's. that (and bad snaps) led to blocked punts- i blocked 4-6 a season on ncaa 04. also, it's b.s. that the punt team reacts to the pr team's set. it's the other way around in real life- the pr team decides rather or not to cover gunners, and some teams automatically throw it out to the gunner if he is uncovered.
This is the exact reason why u can't block punts against the cpu. The punt team will never audible to max protect if you leave gunners uncovered
Old 06-08-2010, 11:21 PM   #47
Rookie

RamblinWreck21's Arena

OVR: 5

Here are a FEW reasons why STs have sucked in NCAA the last few years.(trust me there is more, this is just a taste)

1. FG kickers seem to constantly make 55+ yarders
2. Blocking for Punt/Kick Returners is garbage, causing the Returns to suck
3. Nothing is ever blocked
4. Pretty much every Kicker is exactly the same
5. Punt team adjusts to the Punt Return team...WTF?
Old 06-23-2010, 10:06 PM   #48
Banned

Tarheel's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinWreck21
Here are a FEW reasons why STs have sucked in NCAA the last few years.(trust me there is more, this is just a taste)

1. FG kickers seem to constantly make 55+ yarders
2. Blocking for Punt/Kick Returners is garbage, causing the Returns to suck
3. Nothing is ever blocked
4. Pretty much every Kicker is exactly the same
5. Punt team adjusts to the Punt Return team...WTF?
this.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »