Home

What makes your favorite school a "position U"

This is a discussion on What makes your favorite school a "position U" within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-18-2010, 02:10 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 8
Re: What makes your favorite school a "position U"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers
http://cfn.scout.com/2/861446.html

Running Back U. - Combined Version

The Running Back Factories

1. Ohio State

The Flag-Bearer – Eddie George
The Ensemble – Archie Griffin, Keith Byars, Beanie Wells, Antonio Pittman, Pete Johnson, Robert Smith, Jim Otis, John Brockington,

2. USC

The Flag-Bearer – O.J. Simpson
The Ensemble – Marcus Allen, Charles White, Ricky Bell, Anthony Davis, Clarence Davis, Reggie Bush, Sam Cunningham, Mosi Tatupu, LenDale White, Ricky Ervins, Justin Fargas, Chad Morton, Sultan McCoullough and Lynn Cain

3. Penn State

The Flag-Bearer – Curt Warner
The Ensemble – Lydell Mitchell, Franco Harris, John Cappelletti, Matt Suhey, Larry Johnson, Richie Anderson, Ki-Jana Carter, Blair Thomas, Curtis Enis, D.J. Dozier, Tony Hunt, Sam Gash, Charlie Pittman, Booker Moore, Gary Brown, Steve Smith and Mike Guman

4. Miami

The Flag-Bearer – Edgerring James
The Ensemble – Chuck Foreman, O.J. Anderson, Clinton Portis, Willis McGahee, Alonzo Highsmith, Cleveland Gary, James Jackson, Stephen McGuire, Melvin Bratton, Donnell Bennett, Danyell Ferguson, Frank Gore and Najeh Davenport

5. Auburn

The Flag Bearer – Bo Jackson
The Ensemble – James Brooks, Stephen Davis, Joe Cribbs, William Andrews, Brent Fullwood, Carnell Williams, Rudi Johnson, Lionel James, James Bostic, James Joseph, Tony Richardson, Fred Beasley and Ronnie Brown

6. Texas

The Flag-Bearer – Earl Campbell
The Ensemble – Ricky Williams, Eric Metcalf, Jamaal Charles, Cedric Benson, Roosevelt Leaks, Priest Holmes, Chris Gilbert, Hodges Mitchell, Jim Bertelsen, Steve Worster, A.J. Jones and Ted Koy

7. Nebraska

The Flag-Bearer – Roger Craig
The Ensemble – Ahman Green, Mike Rozier, Tom Rathman, Jeff Kinney, I.M. Hipp, Lawrence Phillips, Calvin Jones, Keith Jones, Rick Berns, Andra Franklin, Jarvis Redwine, Joel Mackovicka, Ken Clark, Cory Schlesinger, Dan Alexander, Correll Buckhalter, Derek Brown, Doug Dubose, Judd Davies and Joe Orduna

8. Oklahoma

The Flag-Bearer – Billy Sims
The Ensemble – Greg Pruitt, Joe Washington, Steve Owens, Adrian Peterson, Quentin Griffin, Elvis Peacock, Adrian Peterson, Kenny King, Stanley Wilson, De’Mond Parker, Spencer Tillman, Steve Sewell, Mike Gaddis, Lydell Carr, Marcus Dupree and Jerald Moore

9. Georgia

The Flag-Bearer – Herschel Walker
The Ensemble – Garrison Hearst, Knowshon Moreno, Rodney Hampton, Terrell Davis, Tim Worley, Lars Tate, Robert Edwards, Musa Smith, Willie McClendon, Mack Strong, Olandis Gary and Larry Bowie

10. Florida

The Flag-Bearer – Emmitt Smith
The Ensemble – Neal Anderson, Errict Rhett, Fred Taylor, John L. Williams, James Jones, Larry Smith, Jimmy Dubose, Lorenzo Hampton, Earnest Graham and Terry Jackson
only thing i would debate is having Franco the flag bearer for PSU
Old 05-18-2010, 02:13 PM   #18
Rookie

Atomic Martian's Arena

OVR: 5

Fresno State always puts players in the NFL Im not sure about the numbers but for a mid-major their pretty good. as for Position I would say Tailback U we ve always had good running backs but not many develop at the next lever( Michael Pittman was pretty solid though)
Old 05-18-2010, 02:16 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 20

Quote:
1. Ohio State

The Flag-Bearer – Eddie George
The Ensemble – Archie Griffin, Keith Byars, Beanie Wells, Antonio Pittman, Pete Johnson, Robert Smith, Jim Otis, John Brockington,
I like almost every other school listed more than this group. Is it not in order or something?
Old 05-18-2010, 02:19 PM   #20
Rookie

Lynx34's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
http://cfn.scout.com/2/861446.html

Running Back U. - Combined Version

The Running Back Factories
This makes a lot of good points, but leaves off many names for AU, admittedly it could have done the same for the others, but I seriously doubt any school has the same sheer volume of drafted RBs.

By the article's own admission, USC has had a lot of dry spells whereas Auburn has been consistently getting RBs drafted for the last 30 years. Players before then just aren't as relevant as far as a current pipeline to the NFL is concerned. That's why I put backs before then in a separate, more compact listing.

OSU has a good pedigree and has a great argument up there with AU. I'll submit that if any school deserves it over AU, it'd be Ohio State. Can't really dispute it well, though I will say that they shouldn't count Clarett seeing as how he was never drafted. They seem to have afforded OSU a longer list by excluding fewer players.

Miami, I just don't see it. After Edge and Portis, the list drops off in talent, and once again lacks AU's volume. Penn State's biggest names are all from far too long ago. AU has 3 running backs starting in the NFL, right now.

It's obviously all subjective, and it depends on what you think constitutes the best lineage at a position. I think recency, consistency, and volume are the the three defining characteristics and that Auburn has the best mix of the three compared to other schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOPARADIGM
I like almost every other school listed more than this group. Is it not in order or something?
He missed about half the names when he copied the lists. Click the link to see the full article.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:21 PM   #21
Banned

OVR: 14

Miami is QB U RB U TE U O-Line U D-line U LB-U, Secondary U
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2010, 02:24 PM   #22
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx34
This makes a lot of good points, but leaves off many names for AU, admittedly it could have done the same for the others, but I seriously doubt any school has the same sheer volume of drafted RBs.

By the article's own admission, USC has had a lot of dry spells whereas Auburn has been consistently getting RBs drafted for the last 30 years. Players before then just aren't as relevant as far as a current pipeline to the NFL is concerned. That's why I put backs before then in a separate, more compact listing.

OSU has a good pedigree and has a great argument up there with AU. I'll submit that if any school deserves it over AU, it'd be Ohio State. Can't really dispute it well, though I will say that they shouldn't count Clarett seeing as how he was never drafted. They seem to have afforded OSU a longer list by excluding fewer players.

Miami, I just don't see it. After Edge and Portis, the list drops off in talent, and once again lacks AU's volume. Penn State's biggest names are all from far too long ago. AU has 3 running backs starting in the NFL, right now.

It's obviously all subjective, and it depends on what you think constitutes the best lineage at a position. I think recency, consistency, and volume are the the three defining characteristics and that Auburn has the best mix of the three compared to other schools.

He missed about half the names when he copied the lists. Click the link to see the full article.
Really? Frank Gore? Willis Mcgahee? Najeh Davenport? Javaris James
Old 05-18-2010, 02:35 PM   #23
Banned

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx34
Oh okay, thanks for the heads up.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:52 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooShay
Really? Frank Gore? Willis Mcgahee? Najeh Davenport? Javaris James
I agree with Gore and Mcgahee but davenport and jarvis james are reaches. They didn't do much at the U or the league so neither could be included.

How do you put Eddie George as the Flag bearer for Ohio State when Archie Griffin won two heisman trophies? The only player in history to ever do it. You also missed out on Maurice Clarett. I know he was a head case but without him Ohio State doesn't win a championship or go undefeated through the regular season.

I think Texas makes a great case for tailback you with some of the best running backs who were good in college and their games transferred into to the league as well. Benson, Ricky williams, priest holmes, jamal charles, Earl Campbell, and eric metcalf

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »