Home

EA Locker Rumor

This is a discussion on EA Locker Rumor within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-02-2010, 12:41 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: EA Locker Rumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryrice4949
They do not use the player's likeness. The players on EA's roster do not phyiscally look like the player in question. I would argue that their rosters are so wildly inacurate that they are not even trying to recreate the player even in a generic fashion.

Furthermore, as expensive as college tutition has gotten over the last few years the college players are getting something very valuable.

That's the main thing, and the reason why I really doubt there are any legs to this rumor. They don't look anything like the real players. I could see EA maybe taking a precaution and changing player numbers on the default roster, forcing players to edit them as well as names. That would pretty much get around the lawsuit I would think.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:47 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 6

that wouldnt make sense, because thats not what the suit is about. its about the likeness of the players in general, how they physically look the same, same gear and all. Before the did that they would prolly do **** like not let you add names or make the players way different. it would prolly jus mean more work for people doing the rosters cus they will have to change physical appearances too!
Old 06-02-2010, 01:12 AM   #19
MVP

rckabillyRaider's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8artist
Why make a thread about a rumor????
The Internet would be nothing without rumors
Old 06-02-2010, 01:45 AM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 6

70 players in the game per team, 120 teams, that's 8400 players. NCAA 09 sold about 600k copies at $60 a pop. That's $36,000,000. I'm not sure what the profit margin is on each game, but after development, advertising, hardware, packaging, etc, I'm guessing it's about $10 per game. That's only $6,000,000. If EA gave 100% of their profit to the players that's about $714 per player. But then the players in the game are getting money when the players left out are not. So we have to pay them, too. That's an extra 15 players per team making 1800 more overall. That drops the payment down to $588 per player. But EA needs to make money on their game or there is no incentive to make it. They do most of the work, so they should get most of the money...75% or so should do. Well, that drops us down to $147 per player per year. EA should just give Keller his $147 per year he was in the game and tell him to STFU.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:54 AM   #21
MVP

UMhester04's Arena

OVR: 18

why anyone wouldnt want their name in a video game is beyond me
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2010, 01:58 AM   #22
Hook 'Em Horns

St3fN_sTrApS's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMhester04
why anyone wouldnt want their name in a video game is beyond me
I believe its probably because their likeness is used and yet they don't recieve any payment of any sort, while EA goes on to make millions.

I really hope that the locker doesn't go anywhere, I believe if it does it will be next year.

"Haters can make like bees with no stingers, and DROP DEAD!"
Old 06-02-2010, 02:49 AM   #23
Banned

OVR: 0

Understand that this is an ever evolving area of the law and NOBODY knows exactly where the lines are drawn regarding intellectual property. In an age of rapidly growing technology, the law struggles to keep up.

So all the posts referencing what a "half decent" lawyer could accomplish are ignorant to the realities.

There are 2 current overarching precedents in this doctrine.

First there is Napster which makes companies (but not necessarily ISP's) liable if its storage space is being used to transfer the illegal content.

This case led to creation of P2P sharing in which companies essentially said, we are only the middle man. We dont provide space for the files, all we provide is an area to meet. What people choose to share is their own issue. Go get them.

Then came the Grokster in which the SCOTUS said

"one who distributes a device with the object of promoting its use to infringe copyright, as shown by clear expression or other affirmative steps taken to foster infringement, is liable for the resulting acts of infringement by third parties"

I am not going to apply these precedents to EA lockers because, like I said, it is open to interpretation. I have been a "lurker" here for a long time so thought I would help by putting this discussion into the appropriate context.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:59 AM   #24
Banned

OVR: 11

i'm pretty sure keller already lost this case??

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »