Home

Who is/are the NCAA Football roster guru(s)?

This is a discussion on Who is/are the NCAA Football roster guru(s)? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-08-2010, 02:37 PM   #1
Pro

EvanRG's Arena

OVR: 17
Who is/are the NCAA Football roster guru(s)?

I'm just curious. How exactly does EA Tiburon decide the ratings for the over 8,300 players in NCAA Football each year? (70 players * 119)

Especially considering the amount of categories means that they are judging 8,300 players on almost a dozen or so categories each which means you are now upwards of 83,000+ individual assessments. (8,300 * 10)

That was just undershooting the estimate, but regardless, we are talking about either a LOT of research or a lot of guessing.

Last edited by EvanRG; 06-08-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-08-2010, 02:41 PM   #2
Rookie

Husker88Chief's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Who is/are the NCAA Football roster guru(s)?

Just a note: It's 120 teams. Western Kentucky joined up a couple years ago.

The rosters are built up through stats, film, hype, and just plain guessing beyond that.

Nebraska Football: 12-2 (Big Ten Runner-Up & Capitol One Bowl Champions)

Kansas City Chiefs: 10-6 (1st in AFC West)
Old 06-08-2010, 02:42 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Plus the game don't have 70 players per team i don't think
Old 06-08-2010, 02:47 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

Lot's of guessing. There is no way EA knows whether or not the third string LG for Idaho should have a 62 or a 69 as a pass block rating. I'm not saying they should know. I'm just saying that a lot of guessing is mandatory to fill out the ratings for all of these players.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:54 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 25

i would be fine with 100% genericlly rated players for every team. I sim the 1st 2-3 yrs of my dynasty anyway to get my team to be more "MY" team. So the initial ratings are meaningless for me.....But for online purposes(and i dont play sports games online) i guess player ratings should be somewhat accurate.....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-08-2010, 02:57 PM   #6
Pro

EvanRG's Arena

OVR: 17

I guess why I bring this up is because EA could avoid a lot of the drama if they created a conversion program that you input the statistics like most recent 40 times, bench presses etc.. plus last season's statistics to create a universal ratings system.

As it stands, I feel there is a lot more parody in the NCAA than EA is willing to show, in order to not throw their simulation engine out of wack. Hopefully with the new 120 ways to win, coaching style and system will play more of a role than just being athletic at every position.

A good example was when Ohio State almost lost to Ohio university because of Boo Jackson. After I watched that game I went to play with him, only to see that his speed was in the 70's and his awareness was moot as well.

Just because the team is bad in the win department, doesn't mean the team doesn't have any athletes.

There will always be intangibles that cannot be accounted for, but the coaching staff shoulders a majority of the blame sometimes instead of who is on the field.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:10 PM   #7
Guns Up!

Solidice's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Plus the game don't have 70 players per team i don't think
I think they make 68 player per team on the default rosters. they allow 1 spot so you can create a player, and one spot has to be open because of Road to Glory I believe. of course, once in dynasty mode, you can get up to 70 per team.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:16 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

Good point about the Boo Jackson on OU and his ratings. The reason that they can't rate him right is simple. The game doesn't model fatigue realistically. That is the difference in an Ohio State vs. Ohio University. As you said, there will be athletes on all teams and there should be more parity, but an Ohio University usually loses to an Ohio State because OSU will have a much deeper bench.

This is why you look at a score board on Saturday in the season and you'll see Florida only beating Idaho 10-3 at halftime and then the final score ends up being 66-10. Because all schools have athletes but as they tire throughout the game the lesser schools don't have the great athletes on the bench to compete with the great athletes that the Floridas, Texas and Ohio States of the world have.

If they modeled fatigue right then they could accurately model the player ratings right and you would see a better representation of possible upsets like the OU @ OSU game last year. And Boo could have his real ratings in regards to speed and all. But unfortunately it seems most casual players don't like fatigue and would just prefer to play with the starters on both sides. So when you have the game like that then you have to have Ohio States starters being much, MUCH higher than the Ohio Universities of the world. By doing that then the game will model the 66-10 beatings that big schools usually give the small schools.

So it's like the ends justifies the means in those ratings. It may not be accurate but it helps EA to be able to give us realistic outcomes. Even though the path taken to get there is completely wack because fatigue is mostly a non-factor. EA really needs to work on this.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »