Home

Question about Red Shirting players

This is a discussion on Question about Red Shirting players within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-12-2010, 05:39 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 15
Question about Red Shirting players

Forgive me if this is ignorant but I never understand this "Red Shirting Players" thing. What exactly is this and why would I want to (or not want to) red shirt a player? What benefits do I get from it?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2010, 05:44 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 7
Re: Question about Red Shirting players

When you reshirt a player he will not lose a year ..so if you have 3 good qbs ,let's say one is a sr and jr and you have a very good fr coming in reshirt the fr for the year and he will still be a fr next year.... only it will say reshirt fresh..... but if you reshirt him he will not play that year
Old 07-12-2010, 05:48 PM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreez35
When you reshirt a player he will not lose a year ..so if you have 3 good qbs ,let's say one is a sr and jr and you have a very good fr coming in reshirt the fr for the year and he will still be a fr next year.... only it will say reshirt fresh..... but if you reshirt him he will not play that year
Ahh so the idea is if you are recruiting a top QB, when he accepts and joins your school the idea is to redshirt him if you already have a decent JR or SR QB playing for you. That way when that SR graduates and you start your recruited player, he will still be a freshman.

And I assume you can only redshirt a player for 1 year, right? Dumb question but had to ask.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:49 PM   #4
Guns Up!

Solidice's Arena

OVR: 63

you basically can 'save' a year of eligibility.

say you recruit a WR that is not quite good enough to start or get any kind of decent playing time his freshman year, you can have him sit out a year by red shirting him. so the following year, he'll still be a freshman in terms of eligibility. He'll still be able to play 4 years, but he would have been at the school for a total of 5. during his red shirt year, he can not play in any games at all(in the game at least), but he will be able to progress in ratings.

you can only redshirt a player once in the game. in real life there are possiblities that could extend that further(injuries), but that is not in the game.

Current Main Rotation: Destiny 2 (XB,PC), Division 2(XB) Baldur Gate 3(XB 4p Co-op run) HellDivers 2 (PC)
Games on the list to play: Too many to fit here
Old 07-12-2010, 05:52 PM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidice
you basically can 'save' a year of eligibility.

say you recruit a WR that is not quite good enough to start or get any kind of decent playing time his freshman year, you can have him sit out a year by red shirting him. so the following year, he'll still be a freshman in terms of eligibility. He'll still be able to play 4 years, but he would have been at the school for a total of 5. during his red shirt year, he can not play in any games at all(in the game at least), but he will be able to progress in ratings.

you can only redshirt a player once in the game. in real life there are possiblities that could extend that further(injuries), but that is not in the game.
Gotcha...another question I have would be. Would there be any reason to redshirt a sophmore, junior or senior? Wouldn't really make sense, but wanted to ask.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2010, 05:53 PM   #6
Rookie

KentuckyJared20's Arena

OVR: 3

I red-shirted a lot of players because injuries rarely happen(ed), and fatigue wasn't a big factor. So there was no reason for a Freshman to waste a year at corner back (for instance) when he's 8th at the depth chart, you could use the same example for every position. One time a 4* punter was interested in my school so even though I already had a Jr. punter (usually I only keep 1 punter and 1 kicker) I signed the punter and red-shirted him, so that he had 4 years of eligibility left to use.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:54 PM   #7
Guns Up!

Solidice's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejccva71
Gotcha...another question I have would be. Would there be any reason to redshirt a sophmore, junior or senior? Wouldn't really make sense, but wanted to ask.
you can, it's not as common I don't think.

I've red shirted upperclassmen before, I just played it off as a medical red shirt, even though they weren't injured.

Current Main Rotation: Destiny 2 (XB,PC), Division 2(XB) Baldur Gate 3(XB 4p Co-op run) HellDivers 2 (PC)
Games on the list to play: Too many to fit here
Old 07-12-2010, 05:55 PM   #8
Rookie

ttech10's Arena

OVR: 3

I really wish they would add the ability to redshirt for injuries. There's been many times that I've had a starter injured in the first two games for the entire year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejccva71
I'll redshirt them sometimes if it looks like I'll end up with 2+ SR's in the same position I'll have to replace. If it's a position that's hard to recruit top players in then it's pretty crucial you pay attention and redshirt smart.

Last edited by ttech10; 07-12-2010 at 05:57 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »