Home

How about 120 ways to play defense next year?

This is a discussion on How about 120 ways to play defense next year? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-19-2010, 01:31 PM   #25
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: How about 120 ways to play defense next year?

people are so used to being able to dominate video games. Back on the ps i could get a sack at will with my LB. My guy would have around 10-18 sacks a game, it was ridiculous. Now, you have to know a little something about defense, think a little more about what you're calling, what the down and distance is, what your opponent's style is, score, time, quarter, everything. I love it since i'm a defensive coordinator in real life so i love that chess match. You have to pick and choose your blitzes and be smart about when you blitz, where you blitz, your coverage when you blitz, etc. And i can get pretty good rush controlling my DE so thats another thing that you just need to work on. I shouldn't be able to just get in at will with my guy i'm controlling, i should get shut out of a sack more often than not.

People ask for the game to be more real and then when it is they complain that its broken.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2010, 01:33 PM   #26
Banned

Xaos's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
people are so used to being able to dominate video games. Back on the ps i could get a sack at will with my LB. My guy would have around 10-18 sacks a game, it was ridiculous. Now, you have to know a little something about defense, think a little more about what you're calling, what the down and distance is, what your opponent's style is, score, time, quarter, everything. I love it since i'm a defensive coordinator in real life so i love that chess match. You have to pick and choose your blitzes and be smart about when you blitz, where you blitz, your coverage when you blitz, etc. And i can get pretty good rush controlling my DE so thats another thing that you just need to work on. I shouldn't be able to just get in at will with my guy i'm controlling, i should get shut out of a sack more often than not.

People ask for the game to be more real and then when it is they complain that its broken.
Exactly what I said a few post ago. Great minds think alike.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:37 PM   #27
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
Yeah, all of the offensive gurus should go to the Bud Foster-Charlie Strong-Nick Saban school of defense and invest a little time in learning the other side of the ball.

Here's a link for anyone interested. There's also sections on TCU's nickel package, Saban's robber, Gregg William's single high saftey looks and a whole lot more.

http://brophyfootball.blogspot.com/s...l/Bud%20Foster
Old 06-19-2010, 02:38 PM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 7

to those complaining about d-line effectiveness, are you playing on Heisman? That is why. Heisman is not designed for sim or fairness, it is designed for difficulty. Varsity is the most fair difficulty IMO
Old 06-19-2010, 02:47 PM   #29
Showtime

Jukeman's Arena

OVR: 46

every team does not run the same basic 4-3 or 3-4 and etc...

Do people even know what a "scheme" is????

The way defense is called need to be changed overall..

So yes, there should be "120 ways to win on defensive"

Nice way to get off topic and say "people just suck"

Last edited by Jukeman; 06-19-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:39 PM   #30
Banned

peteykirch's Arena

OVR: 19

I'd love to see a realistic representation of Rutgers Defense. Especially since Schiano relies a lot on stunts and pre-snap movement to disrupt the opposing offense.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:49 PM   #31
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

defense does need major work. It's not fine.

It needs three things more than anything. If these two things are added for N12, I will be one happy guy.

* Tiered playcalling. My stunt and coverage are not interdependent unless a blitz is involved. What I'd like to see is the ability to call a formation, then a stunt/blitz combination, and then the system displays all coverages that work with the number of people in coverage left. Additionally, the coverage should adjust to use whatever defenders I do have.

For example: I select the 4-3 over formation, then a front seven scheme sending the strongside linebacker and dropping the right end into coverage, then I select a cover 7 (2 deep, 5 short), the game should automatically adjust the coverage so that the middle linebacker slides over to take the zone that the blitzing linebacker would have, the weak side linebacker fills in for the middle linebacker, and the defensive end takes the zone the weak side linebacker just vacated.

* Realistic pursuit assignments. If I'm running Power O to the right, I should see the defense attempt to form a bubble around the point of attack. SAM should be taking on my fullback with MATT scraping over the top to clean it up. The strong safety and cornerbacks are going to stay outside the play in pursuit, with WILL playing backside. Of course this doesn't work quite right without...

* Run fits and true gap assignment. Right now if a tackle is assigned a slant assignment, he simply slants. There's no consideration for a 'gap', just a direction in which to move. All defensive linemen are looking to penetrate... not squeeze down or fill.

To illustrate how far reaching this last thing would be, consider this; We're all concerned about line interactions in the passing game... there always seems to be some 'cheating' going on in favor of the offense in pass pro. The reason for this is that the defensive linemen don't have to think "run or pass", they just go. This leaves them with a T-Off advantage on every play. If run assignments, such as squeezing down in the 4-3 were added, linemen would have to, on most plays, be concerned with both the run and the pass, organically slowing down the pass rush and allowing it to operate realistically while still giving the QB realistic time to throw.

These three items, combined with the new locomotion system, real assignment AI (expanded to cover pass pro as well as run blocking), and some tuning of pass velocity would make for an amazing game. I dare say, better than 2k5 by a decent clip, at least in terms of representing the sport.

(Throw in a revitalized Franchise mode (think Head Coach) in Madden, and I'm in football heaven from July to July)

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2010, 04:31 PM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 6

I don't know if the defense is "fine", but I haven't noticed it being horribly broken. I've had some solid defensive possessions for both me and the QB. Obviously the logic isn't entirely correct, and they miss too many tackles, but I don't think the defense is missing.

Remember, college football is heavily slanted towards offense nowadays. I'd consider something wrong if you were consistently getting 17-14 as scores in a full game unless you were playing with two very good defensive teams.

People may not want to accept it, but the average 1-A college game is probably a lot closer to 35-32 than 17-14.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »