Home

How about 120 ways to play defense next year?

This is a discussion on How about 120 ways to play defense next year? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-20-2010, 12:50 PM   #41
BOOM!

AuburnAlumni's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: How about 120 ways to play defense next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by footballdude1971
...can't play D in this game (judging form the demo)...the best defense you can play is hoping the offense fails or screws up...another year for EA...another epic fail. Back to PS2...
This is example #1 why I avoid this main NCAA forum and stay in the supporters forum. Because of ridiculous posts like this.

You can play D in NCAA 11. You just can't play a Dime Defense and have it stop everything in sight like you are used to.

Please don't post anymore.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2010, 01:03 PM   #42
Pro

OVR: 9

I'm like most of the people in this thread. I don't have a problem with the defense. I do wish they would make a whole lot more defensive plays, but I thought defense was good. Not too many INTs (none that felt cheap), I got sacks, I got sacked, had plenty of games that were 7-0, 10-3, and even 3-0... I even got shut out a time or two.

One other thing people need to remember about this demo is that all these teams have good offenses. If it was cake to shut down Florida, FSU, Ohio State, Oklahoma, or any of the other teams in the game, the game would be fatally flawed. That would mean when you would play a bad team they'd never come close to scoring a point or even gaining 100 yards of offense.

And if it isn't for you, there's always sliders and lower difficulty levels.

Edit: That's not to say that I wouldn't like several upgrades to the defense, but to say you can't play defense is going overboard.

Last edited by steelers1; 06-20-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:38 PM   #43
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palo20
That's why the general premise of the thread was about 120 ways to play defense. That should be the goal, and I think it can happen without getting too complicated. I understand that not everyone plays the same way, but that's the type of uniqueness we're hoping for in the game.

I'd love to see Saban, Belichick, Gregg Williams and others play with the single high FS more often. I'd love to have no clue where the Steelers' blitz is coming from. I'd also like to know that the Colts are pretty much sending 4 rushers and I'm still not gonna have much time to throw. I want 3-4 DEs to move inside (as most teams do) on passing downs and I want 3-4 OLBs to have DE type tendencies.

Most NFL teams play with LCB and RCB but some teams (Jets) use their best CB and have him match up with the best WR. I want to playthe Jets and have Revis covering my best guy. Sorry, I'm rambling again.

I just think that some of this stuff can be implemented into the game without confusing the "casual" crowd.
Yes, and that's why earlier in the thread I said there needs to be more defensive styles in the game and that there are not only a handful of defensive schemes.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:29 PM   #44
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by shttymcgee
Yes, and that's why earlier in the thread I said there needs to be more defensive styles in the game and that there are not only a handful of defensive schemes.
Yeah, sorry, wasn't disagreeing with you. I enjoy your posts and insight.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:19 PM   #45
Pro

OVR: 6

No problem.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2010, 10:19 PM   #46
Pro

FedExPope's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclentzthadon
I will say this. I think it will be very difficult to stop a good human player who can run the ball well, and you know what, that is how it is in real life.
Yep. Hopefully true for the CPU as well. Alabama's run offense should be some OP **** like they will be IRL.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:31 PM   #47
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni
This is example #1 why I avoid this main NCAA forum and stay in the supporters forum. Because of ridiculous posts like this.

You can play D in NCAA 11. You just can't play a Dime Defense and have it stop everything in sight like you are used to.

Please don't post anymore.
No seriously, you can't play D...not manually anyway...can you call a play a let the cpu play defense for you and get a stop ever once in a while? Sure. Can you manually control a LB or DB and manually cover a guy and take him out of a play and or stop a passed ball to that receiver in question? Nope. That's what I mean by not being able to play defense....the jump and swat functions are delayed in their response to user input on the buttons...the control of your man is floaty and unresponsive (compared to last gen).

So please...stay in the supporters forum. Thanks.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:47 AM   #48
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Most teams line up their linebackers just like in Madden and NCAA. They are called Strong side and Weak side because offensive teams line up strong right 80% of the time. Only a few teams flip their backers.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »