Home

How do you recruit............

This is a discussion on How do you recruit............ within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-19-2010, 10:06 PM   #1
Banned

Xaos's Arena

OVR: 15
How do you recruit............

3-4 OLBs? Do you recruit DEs who are LB size and put that at LB and slap a redshirt on them so they can develop their coverage skills? Do you start them right away? Or do you get LBs who are prototypical 3-4 edge rushing size and just use them, hoping their pass rush skills develop?

I try to get DEs who I believe are athletic (good combine numbers) and once I sign them I either put a redshirt on them if they won't start right away. If they do have the ability to start right away, I let them go ahead and start unless its close to a Senior or something.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2010, 10:48 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 20
Re: How do you recruit............

I usually run a 4-3 but will build a 3-4 squad every now and then. I mix my recruiting between undersized DEs with good athleticism and LBs who have decent pass rush moves.

I redshirt almost all of my recruits, especially once I have a good enough talent base to where starting a freshman won't greatly help my team. Therefore I do this nearly always when a position change is required.

I also look at other spots where a good OLB may be found. One of the better rushing LBs I have found was a bigger athlete, like 6'3" or 6'4" and like 230 lbs who I thought was going to come in and play safety. Turned out I signed a 5 star FS in the offseason and a 3 star SS during the season who came in as a 79 overall and was much better in coverage than the athlete. I moved the athlete to OLB because I saw that as the best chance to get him on the field quickly and was curious what his 92 speed could do from a pass rushing spot. He ended up developing into a guy I could get constant pressure with blitzing as well as being good enough to drop back into coverage against most TEs and some WRs.

I have also seen the occasional DT who could play the spot, although they would be better on the line. They may be big for the position but there are some good ones out there.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:55 PM   #3
MVP

acts238shaun's Arena

OVR: 25

As someone who mainly uses the 3-4, here's my viewpoint:

I look for speed for MLB's and balanced/run stopping OLB's. OLB's in the 3-4 often have to engage linemen/TE's more than their 4-3 counterparts. On the line I look for size and agility (and acceleration now with locomotion). On passing downs I'll sub in LB's for pass rushing purposes.

Something esle I do is look for 'Hard Hitting' safeties with a high awareness/play rec/agility rating and possibly move them to a LB spot.

As far as DB's I look for CB's that cover moreso than tackle and safeties that are balanced, looking at both as FS's.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:32 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 6

I take Dts that can run and move then to de. i dont look at des at all, unless they are over 300pounds.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »