Home

Help for an NCAA newcomer

This is a discussion on Help for an NCAA newcomer within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-27-2010, 04:46 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 20
Re: Help for an NCAA newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody2goody
Cheers for the replies so far guys, that's answered a lot of my queries.

Hi Ninj, not sure if I'll have the money to order for release but I might try to save

Now to go about picking a school - any suggestions guys? Here's your chance to convert a new fan to your College
I would say Washington State, but they are so bad and I don't want that to lose your interest. So I would try Oregon State, they are still a northwest team and are really good.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:46 PM   #10
MVP

woody2goody's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoncold32
You're alright with me, mate.
Well I have a soft spot for the Sooners, I guess it comes from watching a lot of wrestling

I would probably pick them but I fancy starting with a smaller institution and see if I can build them up. I'll be tempted to go with OU though.

What sort of team have Oregon State got?
Old 06-27-2010, 04:49 PM   #11
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

Not that I'm biased or anything, but you should check out Oklahoma State. Rated pretty well (89 overall with a 92 offense), have a fun passing playbook but also have a really good running back, solid defense, nice stadium, and play in a BCS conference. We're a team that you'd be able to win quite a few games with early, but still have room to improve in order to reach the level of "national title contender" down the road. In short, a solid team on field that you can win with, but still present a challenge to build into a consistent national power.

EDIT: By the way, I think you might be getting OU and OSU mixed up. You mentioned OU being "smaller" and knowing them from watching wrestling. OU has been a much bigger power in football than OSU; however, OSU has 34 national titles in wrestling as compared to OU's 7. If you're getting them mixed up, don't worry, even the national media does it too. I can't tell you how many times I've heard people call us "Oklahoma" or the "Sooners." It drives me crazy every time too. That's even worse than being called Okie State.

Last edited by Pokes404; 06-27-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2010, 05:00 PM   #12
MVP

woody2goody's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatoes002
I would say Washington State, but they are so bad and I don't want that to lose your interest. So I would try Oregon State, they are still a northwest team and are really good.
Ha ha I don't mind bad teams, look at my sig, I support the Lions for Pete's sake

Hey, try to sell Washington State to me, why not
Old 06-27-2010, 05:08 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 3

Edit. I see now you are talking about which team to play as in the game, and not looking for one to root for. I'm playing as the Oregon State Beavers in an Online Dynasty this year, and to me they are a great team to play as. I'll admit I don't know as much as the Oregon State fan in this thread, but they seem to be in the top 3 or 4 schools in the Pac-10 that could win that conference. I also know their head coach, Mike Riley, played for Alabama and thats even more reason for me to like them.
No Mullet..No Peace!
Mullets for NCAA Football '13

Last edited by Jase24; 06-27-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:13 PM   #14
Banned

osubeavs721's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody2goody
Well I have a soft spot for the Sooners, I guess it comes from watching a lot of wrestling

I would probably pick them but I fancy starting with a smaller institution and see if I can build them up. I'll be tempted to go with OU though.

What sort of team have Oregon State got?
Well we should finish in the top 3 of the pac 10 again this year. We fell short two years in a row getting to the rose bowl. We run a pro style offense. Led by our ALll American do it all Running back Jacquizz Rodgers. His brother James is our other offensive weapon. One defense we have the strongest player in the nation in DT Stephen Paea, he is a former rugby player.
We do have questions at Linebacker this year and we have a new Quarterback but the QB Ryan Katz is a Redshirt Sophomore. And in Coach Mike Riley's offense system it takes 2 years to get to know the playbook. Katz did look good during spring ball and should fill in nicely. ESPN's Bruce Feldman said of Katz that only Arkansas QB Ryan Mallett had a bigger arm in the NCAA.

We aren't a huge school and our stadium seats 46k people. A little history. We have the only Heisman Trophy winner in the state of Oregon (terry baker), But , We actually set the NCAA record for futility. We had 28 straight losing years until 1999. Then we went 6-5 and lost to Hawaii in the Hawaii Bowl and went 6-6. The next year in 2000 we went 11-1 and beat down Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl. OSU's only BCS appearnce. A year later (2003) then coach Dennis Erickson left for the 49ers job in san francisco. OSU hired back Coach Mike Riley who layed the ground work of Dennis Erickson's winning teams with his 5-6 record in 1998. Ever since then he has led us to 7 bowl games out of 8 years. A school record and since 2005 the last year we missed a bowl game. We have won 36 games, averaging 9 wins a year. Lately we have started out slow and done well in conference. This Oregon State has the hardest schedule in the nation. We start out with TCU in the new Cowboys stadium, then we are home for louisville and then travel to Boise State. And unlike other conferences (for now) the pac 10 plays a round robin schedule for conference games. So we have to play the other 9 teams in the conference.

Starting next year the pac 10 is expanding with Utah and a year later Colorado is join. Many speculate that Colorado will join utah next year.

Our rivalries really consist of one and thats Oregon. the flashy, any publicity is good publicity school that gets jealous of other programs and they have USC envy. When OSU won back to back baseball national titles in 2006 and 2007 oregon decided to bring back baseball in a fit of jealous. The game every year is called the civil war. there are many households in oregon split with fans. The other rival is really Cal. For some reason our games are always close and heated. And recently we have forged a mini rivalry with USC. Being the only team in College football to beat USC 3 times in the last decade and as dominate as USC was, that was a helluva feat.

So there is a break down of Oregon State football. Hope this gets you on board!
Old 06-27-2010, 05:23 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokes404
EDIT: By the way, I think you might be getting OU and OSU mixed up. You mentioned OU being "smaller" and knowing them from watching wrestling. OU has been a much bigger power in football than OSU; however, OSU has 34 national titles in wrestling as compared to OU's 7. If you're getting them mixed up, don't worry, even the national media does it too. I can't tell you how many times I've heard people call us "Oklahoma" or the "Sooners." It drives me crazy every time too. That's even worse than being called Okie State.
I may be wrong, but I took the wrestling comment he made to be in reference of Jim Ross, the Oklahoma alum in WWE.
No Mullet..No Peace!
Mullets for NCAA Football '13
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2010, 05:27 PM   #16
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase24
I may be wrong, but I took the wrestling comment he made to be in reference of Jim Ross, the Oklahoma alum in WWE.
Didn't know about him. That would make way more sense. I was wondering how someone from the UK who has limited knowledge of college football would be able to keep track of college wrestling.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »