Home

Can a player's SPD rating improve over time?

This is a discussion on Can a player's SPD rating improve over time? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-05-2010, 02:19 PM   #9
Rookie

Morning Thunder's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Can a player's SPD rating improve over time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish
This has always been my biggest beef with ALL these games. What is it the ol'Ball Coach said, "you can't teach Speed?" A freshman should have the chance to get a LITTLE faster through superior training and with the right coaching but a player that runs a 4.7 40 in HS shouldn't become a 4.2 guy in 2-3 seasons.

When freshman would go from an 80 to a 99 in a few seasons, thats a problem...at least in my opinion. If they have fixed that...then there is hope.
Thats a myth.. speed can be increased. Some people can increase their speed a whole lot actually with the right workout regimen.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:24 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 21

it does improxe, but not very much :/ lol
Old 07-05-2010, 02:29 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 7

My 100 meter time dropped .5 from the time I was 18 to when I was 24.
People NOT getting faster in the course of the physical maturation process seems unrealistic to me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-05-2010, 02:37 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylee
My 100 meter time dropped .5 from the time I was 18 to when I was 24.
People NOT getting faster in the course of the physical maturation process seems unrealistic to me.
But was it your speed or your technique that improved and shaved that half-second off your time? I'm willing to bet that your top-end speed improved very little while your start out of the blocks and better technique over the first 10-20 meters is what took 99% of that time off.

I have no problem with speed improving 1-2 points over a career, but acceleration is really where "speed" improves.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:51 PM   #13
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahman19
But was it your speed or your technique that improved and shaved that half-second off your time? I'm willing to bet that your top-end speed improved very little while your start out of the blocks and better technique over the first 10-20 meters is what took 99% of that time off.

I have no problem with speed improving 1-2 points over a career, but acceleration is really where "speed" improves.
This makes a lot of sense to me... I would like to see speed improve over a player's career, but i agree that acceleration and agility should improve much more than speed can.

surprising to hear such logic from a "Utahman"... Go Cougs!

(and no, i don't have a good comeback if you rail me with the 'Utah to the PAC-10' thing, so PLEASE don't!)

#GoPackGo
Old 07-05-2010, 06:19 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

kingkilla56's Arena

OVR: 31

Players are not pysically matured to their fullest out of highschool. A guy could be 5'6 in HS and grow to 6 foot or higher by the time they're 24. Speed can develope as your body does. A fat 300 pund guy can race a twiggy 11 year old and win but when that twiggy grows up, big man aint winning a thing.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:03 PM   #15
Pro

FedExPope's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Survivor
Does switching positions still effect a player's speed at all?
haha oh god I hope not. I remember in NCAA 09 converting a running back who had maybe, 88 speed to a FB in order to fill a roster spot...and the game lowered his speed to 70. I was so baffled
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-05-2010, 07:05 PM   #16
MVP

sniperhare's Arena

OVR: 10

I don't have a problem with a 1-2 point speed increase over 4 years. They can be taught how to get every last ounce of speed and work on technique they likely wouldn't have been privy to in high school.

A system where you could add or decrease weight would be cool, certain coaches tell players to gain or lose weight to fit a philosophy they have. This is a feature where strength and conditioning coaches can play a realistic role.

Whether they advise big muscle and heavy weights or body weight exercises and endurance could be made to affect the players ratings and performance.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »