Home

46 defense

This is a discussion on 46 defense within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-09-2010, 08:16 PM   #1
Pro

zpq12's Arena

OVR: 9
46 defense

Why does the game put both outside backers all the way to one side? As far as I know, this isn't how the 46 is aligned.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2010, 08:34 PM   #2
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: 46 defense

That's actually one variation of the Bear front that Buddy Ryan ran with the Bears, where Marshall and Wilson would line up exactly like that.

I haven't experimented much with it, but doesn't changing up your packages re-do player alignment in the game, like a safety switching positions with a linebacker, etc.?
Old 07-09-2010, 09:38 PM   #3
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42

Ya, I don't even know of a team that uses this defense anymore. It requires a very specific personnel group and it was developed in a time when offenses weren't so wide open.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:45 PM   #4
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmik58
Ya, I don't even know of a team that uses this defense anymore. It requires a very specific personnel group and it was developed in a time when offenses weren't so wide open.
Don't watch much pro football do you, jmik58? Because Rex Ryan has been running the 46 since his Baltimore Raven days. Here's a quote from Ray Lewis, one of the most feared defensive players in the game:

"No running back in the game wants to face me, and they know that. My thing is bashing running backs. That's what the 46 defense lets me do."

Now, to be fair, Ryan doesn't run it full time, he mixes it in with his base defense, but the Ravens and now Jets do run it. The Titans also use it sometimes.

Now, as far as college football I am not aware of a team that uses it, certainly not as a full time defense. I disagree that you need a very specific group to run this.

The 46 requires your CB's to play Man>Man at all times, which basically leaves them on an island. They have no help over the top as the FS plays centerfielder. The SS plays up near the LOS and acts like a fourth linebacker.

You need guys that play w/ reckless abandon and have a hunger to kill the guy w/ the ball. The 46 was successful in Chicago, Philadelphia, Houston, Arizona, Baltimore, Tennessee and now N.Y. They used a lot of different players between the mid-80's and now.

The main thing for the 46 was to bring more people than you have blocking. Constant pressure on the QB. Get to the QB quickly and that helps out your CB's.

Here is the basic 46 line-up...

....................................FS

.......................................MLB........ ..SS
CB................DE.......DT...DT...DE...OLB...OL B...............................CB
WR....................LT...LG...C...RG...RT...TE.. ..................................WR
....................................QB

....................................FB

....................................HB

The MLB and SS often moved around and lined up in various places.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:28 PM   #5
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Death
Don't watch much pro football do you, jmik58? Because Rex Ryan has been running the 46 since his Baltimore Raven days. Here's a quote from Ray Lewis, one of the most feared defensive players in the game:

"No running back in the game wants to face me, and they know that. My thing is bashing running backs. That's what the 46 defense lets me do."

Now, to be fair, Ryan doesn't run it full time, he mixes it in with his base defense, but the Ravens and now Jets do run it. The Titans also use it sometimes.

Now, as far as college football I am not aware of a team that uses it, certainly not as a full time defense. I disagree that you need a very specific group to run this.

The 46 requires your CB's to play Man>Man at all times, which basically leaves them on an island. They have no help over the top as the FS plays centerfielder. The SS plays up near the LOS and acts like a fourth linebacker.

You need guys that play w/ reckless abandon and have a hunger to kill the guy w/ the ball. The 46 was successful in Chicago, Philadelphia, Houston, Arizona, Baltimore, Tennessee and now N.Y. They used a lot of different players between the mid-80's and now.

The main thing for the 46 was to bring more people than you have blocking. Constant pressure on the QB. Get to the QB quickly and that helps out your CB's.

Here is the basic 46 line-up...

....................................FS

.......................................MLB........ ..SS
CB................DE.......DT...DT...DE...OLB...OL B...............................CB
WR....................LT...LG...C...RG...RT...TE.. ..................................WR
....................................QB

....................................FB

....................................HB

The MLB and SS often moved around and lined up in various places.

I was referring to college teams since this is in the NCAA forum. I know Ryan's connection to the 46 and have incorporated aspects of it into defenses I have run. The inclusion of it for NCAA is nice from an options standpoint, but I was saying I don't know of any college teams that use it at the FBS level.

And for the record, no I don't watch much NFL. I enjoy the college game much more.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2010, 07:38 PM   #6
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmik58
I was referring to college teams since this is in the NCAA forum. I know Ryan's connection to the 46 and have incorporated aspects of it into defenses I have run. The inclusion of it for NCAA is nice from an options standpoint, but I was saying I don't know of any college teams that use it at the FBS level.

And for the record, no I don't watch much NFL. I enjoy the college game much more.
I hear you. I watch College much more than the NFL, and really, the only reason I watch the NFL is to see certain college guys that I grew attached to, like Davone Bess {Hawaii>Miami} etc...

I am glad the 46 is in the NCAA series though, because it can be very fun to use.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:40 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 11

To me, it doesnt make much sense for a real life FCS school to use the 46, in terms of the personnell required to use it and the types of offenses you are likely to run into, but I have used the 46 as my primary defense in Madden for the past many years, and find it a nice thing to have in NCAA just in case I guess if I happen to be the coach of a powerhouse school playing a cupcake in my offline dynasty.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »