Home

Retail videos of Run and Shoot or Triple Option?

This is a discussion on Retail videos of Run and Shoot or Triple Option? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-10-2010, 03:17 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 7
Re: Retail videos of Run and Shoot or Triple Option?

I'd really love to have Switch in. I *believe* it was in the Option playbook off of playaction last year, but I don't think either Switch-er had an option route.

I have my doubts though.

The Paul Johnson Spread Option is a run and shoot descendent. The base formations are identical (at least the current "flexbone" and the original run and shoot are).
Old 07-10-2010, 03:22 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Death
What bothers me though is they tout the R&S in their 120 Ways To Win then they give us nothing on the offense. One screen w/ 3 plays... that's it. I don't know if it's accurate or not because I haven't seen anything on it.

If ANYONE has any R&S info you can direct me to please PM me. Reading material or video of the R&S in NCAA 11 is what I am looking for. Much thanks.
For 99.9% of college football fans the RnS is just a pass happy offense. So when they play an SMU or a UH as long as the balls always in the air it will seem legit. I can't say I'm not surprised by a somewhat misleading marketing phrase the EAs using so I'm not completely broken up.

Odogg in the impressions thread had a dynasty with Hawaii and he said that the RnS was basically just shotgun passes. Nothing more. I'm not sure if he knows as much about it as me, and I'm sure he doesn't know as much as you. But I think it's safe to say that you're gonna be disappointed by the playbook this year and unless SMU upsets TCU or UH upsets USC or Boise I don't see a true RnS playbook happening. The triple option would have never been revised last year had G Tech not upset Florida

STANCE GUIDE
http://bit.ly/HtkpmT
MOTION GUIDE
http://bit.ly/IqkdGh
Old 07-10-2010, 03:33 PM   #11
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRunAndShoot
For 99.9% of college football fans the RnS is just a pass happy offense. So when they play an SMU or a UH as long as the balls always in the air it will seem legit. I can't say I'm not surprised by a somewhat misleading marketing phrase the EAs using so I'm not completely broken up.

Odogg in the impressions thread had a dynasty with Hawaii and he said that the RnS was basically just shotgun passes. Nothing more. I'm not sure if he knows as much about it as me, and I'm sure he doesn't know as much as you. But I think it's safe to say that you're gonna be disappointed by the playbook this year and unless SMU upsets TCU or UH upsets USC or Boise I don't see a true RnS playbook happening. The triple option would have never been revised last year had G Tech not upset Florida
Thanks. I must have missed ODogg's post. I typically read everything he posts too, so I don't know how I missed that. I was worried when I saw the initial video for 120 Ways To Win and they said... the Run & Shoot is old school. This is for those guys who want to pass 50 or 60 times a game...

Uh... no. Passing 50 or 60 times a game does not define the R&S. Having legitimate Option Routes defines the R&S. Having the Shovel Pass in defines the R&S. {Something that has been confirmed to NOT be in, by the way}

Having a QB and WR's w/ high awareness adjusting on the fly to what the defense does defines the R&S. Right now I am just very frustrated. But I will make it my goal to get this thing properly implemented in the game including the Shovel Pass.

It may be that only a few teams use this or aspects of it, but there are tons of gamers who want to use it.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2010, 03:42 PM   #12
Rookie

RamblinWreck21's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRunAndShoot

What? We haven't played Florida since like the 70's. And if you mean FSU, we were ranked ahead of them, so I don't see how thats an upset.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:45 PM   #13
Rookie

Card-me's Arena

OVR: 7

I may be crazy, but I thought I saw a shovel pass play in a previous game. Was it in the previous gen versions of NCAA? Or did I see it in APF 2k8? I honestly don't remember, but I thought I saw it in a previous NCAA game.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:52 PM   #14
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Card-me
I may be crazy, but I thought I saw a shovel pass play in a previous game. Was it in the previous gen versions of NCAA? Or did I see it in APF 2k8? I honestly don't remember, but I thought I saw it in a previous NCAA game.
It was in 2K5 so you probably saw it in 2K8.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:00 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Card-me
It can be done I dont remember if it was this gen or last gen, but it's buggy. You do it by hitting the pitch button with an eligible reciever close in front of you. I started messing with it when I was playing as Navy. I had a bad recruiting year and my QB's speed was under 80 and my backs were very fast. They would end up running ahead of my qb on option plays often I would pitch it to them and the qb and rbs would get passing/recieving yards.

That got me thinking and I decided to try a real shovel pass by picking pass plays where the RB does one of those really short comeback routes right up the middle. I hit the pitch button and it worked. However I could never do it with any success. There were times when the QB would just pitch it backwards to no one and fumble and sometimes he wouldn't pitch it. You have to come up pretty close to the LOS, but then you risk getting sacked alot.

EA could implement it by making the pitch button a shovel pass button on pass plays form behind the line of scrimmage (would go back to normal pitch if you ran past LOS).

Last edited by Juice Malone; 07-10-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2010, 09:52 PM   #16
Rookie

vatopa09's Arena

OVR: 2

What differentiates a run and shoot offense from the generic high octane passing playbooks of smu and hawaii? I dont mean to sound rude because I would love to learn about different ways to play

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »