Home

Presentation Improved?

This is a discussion on Presentation Improved? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-10-2010, 12:16 PM   #1
Rookie

kmp714's Arena

OVR: 2
Presentation Improved?

So I don't have the game yet, but there are a hundred impressions, screens, and videos out there for me to pose the question.
So is the presentation really improved?

I could go through a list of additions vs. subtractions within the presentation, but really all that needs to be said is: NCAA Basketball 10. A game with great presentation, and on the first try. No excuses in saying that it will improve over the years(how many times have we heard that) only to have other things removed.

All I'm saying is that presentation creates immersion and immersion creates longevity. The Football series has been struggling with staleness since the current generation was born. I love the gameplay changes don't get me wrong, but as it has been said one step forward and two steps back.

Really what good is the ESPN name on the screen without all the graphics that we see on Saturday. STAT OVERLAYS!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2010, 01:08 PM   #2
MVP

duckfever8's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Presentation Improved?

Yeah NCAA Basketball 11 looked good, overlays and all, but the commentary was awful. On both ESPN and CBS. While the commercial breaks, overlays, and the completely authentic presentation was great, they did it well, the commentary was bad. NCAA's commentary isn't bad, it's just the same exact stuff we've been hearing since NCAA 2001 minus one guy. Look at NBA 2K10/MLB 2K10 and their dynamic commentary. Follow that example.
NBA-Portland Trail Blazers
NFL-Carolina Panthers
MLB-San Francisco Giants
NHL-Los Angeles Kings
Won't change this signature until Oregon wins a national championship (started 3/10/10)
Old 07-10-2010, 01:18 PM   #3
Rookie

The Gunslinger's Arena

OVR: 9

They need dynamic commentary, stat overlays, and at least one more commentary crew to bring a little variety to the gaming experience
Old 07-10-2010, 01:22 PM   #4
Banned

shocker878's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gunslinger
They need dynamic commentary, stat overlays, and at least one more commentary crew to bring a little variety to the gaming experience
Well they couldn't use dynamic commentary for players stats like 2k does, because that would show player likeness, so basically all they could do is talk about records, losing/winning streaks But overall need improvement
Old 07-10-2010, 01:30 PM   #5
Rookie

Card-me's Arena

OVR: 7

What I don't understand is that they don't need to look at 2k anything for great dynamic commentary. Within their own company they have FIFA, which has wonderful dynamic commentary. Just go talk to those guys.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2010, 02:13 PM   #6
Rookie

The Gunslinger's Arena

OVR: 9

Well, they could use dynamic commentary in this sense:

In a rivalry game, mentioning who won last year's game and who leads the series

If Team A wins the NC or conference title in year 1, they'll be referred to as "the defending national champions" or "conference champions" in year 2, respectively

If a player has a chance to break a season or career record in this game, make reference of this BEFORE the game. While we're on the topic, include conference records

In a big conference game, mention how Team A has a chance to wrap up the division with a win over Team B today

If one of Team A's players wins the Heisman or any other award in year 1 and is back for year 2, he should be recognized as having won that award

Later on in the season, Team A should be recognized as having a good, bad, surprising, or disappointing season

If a player made a huge progression leap in the spring, it should be recognized as thus

If a team is on a winning or losing streak, it should be recognized as thus

Erin Andrews could comment on the specific history of a rivalry game like she does in RL

Erin Andrews should make references to having talked to Team A's head coach at halftime and he said that "they need to stress limiting turnovers to have a chance to win the game, etc." I think something like this was in NCAA 10', but she only mentioned having "talked to a coach" but not a specific coach in general

If a player is in the Heisman Race, he should be recognized as thus

If a player is coming back from an injury, he should be recognized as thus

If a coach is playing against a team he once coached with before, he should be recognized as thus

Coach should be recognized for his achievements of National Championships, conference championships, bowl wins, winning seasons, coach of the year awards, having coached Heisman winners, etc.

If a certain highly ranked recruit is attending the game, he should be recognized as thus

If Team A has played in this particular bowl, conference championship, or opponent stadium before, it should be recognized as thus along with the appropriate records

If Team A is projected to be in a bowl, a stat overlay should convey this during the game

If Team A is wearing their alternate uniforms, they should be recognized as thus. Mix and Match doesn't count, has to be a preset alternate uni for this to work.

If Team A is from the North and they are playing Team B, who is from the South, at Team B's stadium during a hot day in September, the weather disadvantage to Team A should be referred to as thus. Same is true for vice versa (cold/snowy weather in the North).

Also, teams that play well at night at home (like LSU in Baton Rouge) should be referred to as thus

If Team A has been invited to a new conference, they should be referred as having started their first year in this conference.

Team A and Team B's versions of offenses should be referred to as thus

If Team A, a high prestige school in a BCS conference is playing Team B, a low prestige school from a non-BCS conference, at Team A's stadium, a reference should be made that Team A has scheduled a cupcake opponent

If Team A and Team B are playing each other for the second time this season OR are playing each other in a rematch game from last year, the previous game should be referred to, who won it, the score, and location.

If an east coast team is playing a west coast team, it should be recognized as thus

If this is Team A's Senior Day, make a reference and note how this is Player X's last home game as a _____. While on the topic, allow us to designate "homecoming games", and have the commentators refer to as thus

My personal favorite: If they're are any available: refer to upcoming games on ESPN and also mention a score update from another game! Both with in-game stat overlays!

Other in-game stat overlays could include:
-Top 25 (like NCAA Basketball 10)
-Showing a player's game by game stats
-Team A's upcoming schedule with references to this being an "easy" or "tough" upcoming stretch of games along with big games being highlighted
-Showing the series record and series scores of a rivalry game (at least the last 5-10 years)
-Kirk Herbstreit's Top 5 teams and make a small reference to how each are playing
-Herbstreit's own Heisman list

I think you get the point
Old 07-10-2010, 02:28 PM   #7
Pro

adh5199's Arena

OVR: 3

Great post gunslinger! If they could add this next year, it would be the icing on the cake........oh yeah and dreads, bowl patches, grass stains....ect.......
Old 07-12-2010, 09:27 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 46

on the eve of the release, what do we have for presentation upgrades?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »